Thread: Right (Picking) hand position & technique

Default Right (Picking) hand position & technique

Apologies if this is already covered, but searches didn't find any posts with "right" + "hand".

I'm new to mandolin but play classical guitar. How is the right hand positioned during playing? Should the entire right arm from the elbow be free, not resting anywhere on the top/bridge? I will probably focus on "classical" methods initially. I'm working through Debora Chen's sightreading book (excellent!).

Ed S.

Kentucky KM174,

Default Re: Right (Picking) hand position & technique

In the classical mando world there are two schools. Arched wrist and anchored wrist. I come from the arched wrist school where your right wrist is arched at approx 45 degree angle and moves freely. The inside of the forearm is anchored on the edge of the mando near and above the tailpiece. (depending on body style) This method allows for a very fluid tremolo. The hand is not anchored anywhere on the mando. Marylin Mair (google her) in providence RI has a very nice method book (Mel Bay) that has pictures of this. She also started the American Mandolin and Guitar Summer School (AMGUSS). This is a week long Mando school (Guitar too) at Roger Williams College near Providence RI. It is great fun and you would have access to some of the best classical players and teachers in the country/world. The arched wrist is difficult to control at first but in the long run it allows more expressive use of the tremolo than the various anchored methods. The anchored wrist methods do make it easier to crosspick (perhaps the most difficult thing to master w/arched wrist) and tremolo initially. The German mandolin establishment seems to think this method is superior (as well as rubber picks which I do not like) but I find the anchored techniques sound kind of dry and lack fluidity especially with the unmeasured tremolo. There are great players using both techniques but in my humble opinion the arched wrist is best. Teachers of this method are rather scarce. The classical mandolin society of america has a web site w/ teachers and you could find one there. AMGUSS is your best bet if you are not near one of these teachers.
    Last edited by mandotopia; Sep-08-2009 at 3:25pm. Reason: more info

Thank you for the reply and information. I do plan to get Marylin Mair's book in the next few weeks. I initially gravitated to resting just the forearm on the edge and playing with a free wrist.

Thank you,

Ed S.

There are quite a few posts about the Classical Mandolin Society of America (CMSA) convention coming up in November (in Dayton OH). There are quite a few great classical players who will be there including Marylin Mair. CMSA is a great way to make contact and get pointers from the best.