Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Own a "Beater" mandolin?

Default Re: Own a "Beater" mandolin?

Another vote for old Strad-o-lins. I bought one that the back was separating on, failed at a good repair job, and ended up gobbing epoxy all around the back seam. Adding an adjustable bridge, it plays well and sounds good.

The need for, and definition of a beater can vary widely. My need is for 2am music festival jamming where you never know when someone will stumble into you or your instrument, and the crowd can get rowdy. But at the same time these jams can really be fun. I'd never dream of taking my good equipment into this kind of situation, and also don't care if this one gets passed around a bit, or gets used to take a swat at a banjo
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Matt DeBlass View Post
    James, I've got the RM-35S (solid top version) as my ONLY mando at the moment, while I can't wait to upgrade, I gig with it a couple times a month. It'll have to do till I'm good enough to make more money with it.
    There was a "What's a beater?" thread on another forum where some players defined one as an instrument you don't care about. My Rover didn't fit that description.

On another thread I've said that if it had to be my one and only mando, I'd be happy. I know that the more I play it the better it sounds. Mine really benefited from a new nut, fwiw.

In retrospect I guess all of my mandolins are beaters...in fact, all of my instruments would qualify except probably my favorite acoustic guitar, which has sentimental value and thus I wouldn't want it destroyed...still play it most of the time and in most places, severe environmental stressors withstanding...

My "beater" gets used when there's real potential for destruction, often due to environmental or little kid stressors, or the potential to be left in a car. I take my "beater" guitar to my friend's lake house when there's gonna be a crowd, just because there's typically a fair amount of booze involved, it's been fallen into/kicked/sat on/had balls thrown into/beer spilled on a couple times, and I wouldn't want my other guitar taking that beating. Plus, as it's an Applause, I can use it as a Kayak paddle to escape if any of those horror movie plots ever came true...

I'm not anywhere close to being able to play out for an audience, but if I were I think I'd probably get a "good" mandolin to use for public performances in all but the worst environments and not worry about it. Of course, if my beater were Fred's Red Diamond A, I'd leave it locked in a Calton most of the time...that's why I don't really own anything nice...I like to be able to play 'em, let my kids bang on 'em, etc. But, I think the beater has it's place, and is not necessarily a negative connotation. That said, Fred, if you ever need me to keep an eye on your beater or maybe give her a little regular use, just so she doesn't "go to sleep," just let me know!!
    Chuck

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

Thank you all for the wonderful response!

There are some very interesting opinions and individual values listed here. I for one have two beaters I made from junk and my best mandolin a friend found in the trash which is a 1923/24/25 (pick a year) Gibson TL1.

And my other mandolins that I play the most are two very nice sounding Kentuckys (KM 172 & KM 171) which I treat with care and resides in a hard shell cases when they are not in use.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredfrank View Post
    Here's my beater, and my main mandolin:

Fred, it's nice that you have a couple of thrashers you can plink around on while you save up for a good one.

I got a "comma hole" Stadium (AKA Strad-O-Lin) from Elderly last year, to serve as a beater. It looks like hell, with big scrapes all over the top. It sounds GREAT! When I was preparing for my trip to the ice, the Mandolin Store had a big sale on Eastmen. I was a day or two late for the $399 deal on 504s and 505s, but Dennis agreed to sell me a 505 for $499. I went for that, and brought it down. It's a lot louder than the Stadium, and sounds more grassy. It's my travel mandolin, but I wouldn't call it a beater. I play mostly in my room, and take good care of it. Two oasis humidfiers in the case, and I've had zero humidity-related problems.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    You got me Fred.
    I recently sent my Vintage F back Don MacRostie for some work, and thought I'd try out his Vintage A model. Needless to say, I now have one of each.

I've never subscribed to the "beater" theory. If I'm going to have a mandolin at the campout, or the beach, it's going to be one I enjoy playing. I don't enjoy playing junky mandolins.

A beater needn't be an instrument you don't care about. When I was playing in bars all the time I got a really cheap 1966 Fender Mustang. Kurt Cobain was still in middle school, so no one was looking for them. I changed some hardware and had a cheap vintage Fender that was both enjoyable and practical. But one of the main criteria for my purchase was it's ability to withstand the impact of a flying beer bottle or, if need be, crack a human skull without compromising its integrety as a musical instrument.
    Steve

Those are some real beauties Fred. I was expecting a kentucky when I clicked on your A. I sure wasn't expecting your Diamonds.
    I agree with you as long as I can have a dry lockable place for my mandolin out of the auto and heat associated with locked cars . We like to go hiking and sight seeing so I'm waiting to bring mine when I can not worry about it during the day. We're saving up for a small popup camper to replace our tent so we can customize it with a lockable cabinet for future camping and festivals.

Blog Entries

If I owned an instrument that was too valuable to take out and play, I would sell it, and with the proceeds buy two or more instruments that I could take out and play.

Several years ago I purchased a Weber Aspen II. I got it because I was beginning to feel that my VIntage Gibson A2 was irreplaceable, and I needed a mandolin I wouldn't worry about.

Well I fell in love with that Aspen. In my opinion the Weber Aspen II is one of the best values around. Lots of mandolin for the price. For some situations its the preferred mandolin, because it doesn't "Gibson" all over the tune.

Well the upshot is I am just as worried, regardless of which mandolin I take out. Instead of a primary and secondary mandolin, I have two primary mandolins.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

My beater is a Ibanez model 517. I take it to places I won't take my Weber. I have trvelled all around the world with my beater and I don't think I'd part with it.
    Flatiron Performer F
    The Load LM-520
    Eastman 315
    Godin A8
    Ibanez 517