Thread: "bic lighter" pick grip feedback

Default "bic lighter" pick grip feedback

How "deep" do you place your pick? Seems like you can curl your index and pinch the pick with you thumb knuckle or bring the pick out closer to the end of your thumb by straightening your index so it runs parallel with the pick. And /or anywhere in between.
    Ken Ratcliff Silver Angel #285

Default Re: "bic lighter" pick grip feedback

I mostly play with teardrop shaped Fender Heavies, and use the rounded "shoulder" of the pick. My grip looks like this, curling the index pretty much:

Registered User mando on the side's Avatar

I don't curl my index finger on the underside of the pick. The thumb essentially meets the first jointaid the index finger. I find that it gives support to the upstrokes. I recently discovered this, and it took getting used to. But now I find that my up and down strokes are easier to get uniformity and even.

Quote Originally Posted by mando on the side View Post
    I don't curl my index finger on the underside of the pick. The thumb essentially meets the first jointaid the index finger. I find that it gives support to the upstrokes. I recently discovered this, and it took getting used to. But now I find that my up and down strokes are easier to get uniformity and even.
    I have come to the opposite conclusion - the pick hold shown two posts above works best for me. For years and years I played without my index curled and I had major problems with the pick rotating out of position with hard playing. Now that I curl my index that problem is gone. Took me a good long time to adjust but it was worth the effort. I find that the curled index gives me essentially the same pick support whether I am picking down or up and that my up and downs are more even. Just shows how different people and get different results from similar techniques!
    Rob G.
    Vermont

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

I've played guitar for forty years so the pick was going into my fingers the way it almost always has. The only difference in the way I hold a pick for mandolin is that I tend to have less pick exposed while playing the mando but it's a heavier gauge.
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

Yep, my grip is like Erik's.

I took a workshop with Jody Stecher, who is best known as a guitar and banjo player, but who is also an amazing mandolin player. He said he uses three different grips and may shift between them for different effects. He uses the "loose fist" grip as shown above, for general strumming and picking. He also uses what he calls a "pencil grip," so called because it is like the classic way kids used to be taught to hold a pencil. Both the index and middle finger are on the bottom of the pick and they are only slightly curled under. He uses that for heavy picking, like Monroe-style downstroke stuff. Then he has a "modified pencil" grip where it is just the thumb and index finger, but the finger is only slightly curled. It is almost pointed at the strings, maybe curled back just a little. It is similar to the way I have seen classical baroque players pick with a quill. He uses that for tremolo.

I've never felt comfortable shifting grips like that. I just use the "loose fist" grip. But it's interesting to note that at least one good player has a different take on things and really makes it work for him.

Registered User newf playing a mando's Avatar

I think this is very helpful because I have a hard time trying to find a good spot for my pick without dropping it or flicking out.

This is a good thread; makes me really think about my technique!

One thing to think about is how tightly I hold the pick. I find that for hard chops and rhythm playing the looser the grip the better the pick will stay in its position. For fast running notes, it's essentially the same, if they're really fast notes. For lyrical melodies I tend to grip the pick more securely, without being too tense, but with enough grip that the tone is fatter and there's less bite to the attack. At least that's how my technique has developed. Of course I'm the guy that has his index finger at a 45 degree angle to the thumb!

I will try to straighten my index but after a bit I realize it has curved some again, so I think the middle ground works for me. Not totally curled but not straight either. Do you ever get to where you feel like you have got it totally dialed in? Maybe someday.
    Ken Ratcliff Silver Angel #285

I just recently discovered that I bend the knuckle of my thumb up and down unconciously as I play. Not sure what effect this has on my playing but it probably isn't good.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

Quote Originally Posted by mandomurph View Post
    I just recently discovered that I bend the knuckle of my thumb up and down unconciously as I play. Not sure what effect this has on my playing but it probably isn't good.
    I do that too! I've watched several great artists, some of them do it, some of them don't. But I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing.

Registered User newf playing a mando's Avatar

I have tried hoding my pick different since reading this and I do notice a difference. good thread. I tend to hold my pick like a pencil with three fingers thumb,index and middle but since reading this tried different grips.

Thanks guys.