Thread: My 1896 DeMeglio

Default My 1896 DeMeglio

It's in beautiful playing shape... However I just recently recognized that there is a slight mark on the label. On the words "Di Piani" and above the line at the bottom. The question is do you think a luthier did this when he was scoping out the inside of the instrument or do you think it is AGE related? I hope to god it never falls off. It seems really stuck and glued in there.

Default Re: My 1896 DeMeglio

Time alone makes many labels fall to dust.

Your label is almost perfectly preserved.

Make music and be content.

Wow so you think it's in good condition and that the luthier didn't mess it up?

Yes, it's in great condition for a 110 year old label. Many times they were not that good when new- I have seen labels where the maker scratched out words, ripped labels, two labels stuck together, et cetera. It is impossible to say when that very, very minor blemish may have occurred, but I can say it is too small to be concerned about.

Is there anything I can do to prevent further destruction? Should I avoid some types of temperatures? I just think it's really a beautiful artifact of my city (Napoli) along with sounding great. I would love for it to stay in that condition. I'm worried with it's age that that label could go any day.

It would have been glued on with hide glue, and since paper is made of vegetable fibers (cotton, linen or wood pulp) the same conditions which preserve your mandolin will be sufficient, just avoid dryness, heat, freezing cold, and most of all avoid rapid changes in temperature. By the way, even if a label falls off, it can be glued right back on by a luthier. Many times a label will be removed on purpose before repair work begins, and it is then returned afterwards when the work is safely done.

Yeah the label is really stuck in there and none of the edges are coming up, I was just nervous that it could fall out.. But if it's really glued in there I don't see the concern.

i see what you mean. This is a newish mandolin that is being sold for the first time (the luthier is defunct now) and the label looks worse than my mandolins whose 113 yrs old. Man I don't know how a luthier could leave it so ugly and terrible shipping out.