Thread: Got myself a Herwiga

Default Got myself a Herwiga

Courtesy of Our Man In Lanarkshire, a 1950s bowl-back Herwiga. Really sweet sound. Nice low action. This will certainly do me for quite a while as I explore the repertoire.

Rob

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Default Re: Got myself a Herwiga

Hmm. Never heard of a Herwiga. Sounds painful.

Sounds like you made a good move there, Rob. I hope you'll let us see it-- and hear it!

BC

I bought a '50s-era Herwiga a few years back and love it! Quite a versatile little instrument (more versatile than it's player, I'm afraid).
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

If memory serves, John has a most glamorous picture of his fine Herwiga, hanging against the backdrop of (acrylic?) lime-green wall-paint. The instrument itself is far less flamboyant than that, and looks like a fine "player's mandolin". I am delighted that the good Ian has been able to provide Rob with a suitable vehicle for his artistry and mando-musings.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Here's a link to photos I've just taken.

http://www.classicbanjorm.com/mandolin.htm

According to Ian Steel, Herwig made instruments of varying quality from poor to very good, and apparently mine is one of the latter - it certainly has a feeling of good quality.

Default Re: Got myself a Herwiga - soundfile and photos added

Here's the link again, this time with a photos and a soundfile. Obviously I have a lot to learn about the subtle art of plucking a mandolin - too often I hear two notes when there should be one - but I think it will give you an idea of the sound of the instrument.

http://www.classicbanjorm.com/mandolin.htm

Rob

The ones I have had through my hands have been nice instruments......... I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Dave
    No such thing as a dead mandolin!

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info
    Facebook: search Dave Hynds ... its me with the mandolin!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Courtesy of Our Man In Lanarkshire, a 1950s bowl-back Herwiga. Really sweet sound. Nice low action. This will certainly do me for quite a while as I explore the repertoire.

Rob
    It is never too late for a Herwiga mandolin... In the arts and crafts period end 19th century, Wilhelm Herwig was a decent violin maker in Markneukirchen, Germany. He founded Herwiga about 1890, kept building fine mandolins until approx. 1930 (classic model woth bowl-back). Later it became a work shop, after WW2 the tuners became typically lower quality russion or DDR stuff (like a cheap russion mandolin, the wood work could (sometimes but not always) be solid and show a very decent construction but you would have to put new tuners on to make it a handsome intrument).