Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1112131415

Thread: Antique Photo of a Mandolin of the Day

Default Re: Antique Photo of a Mandolin of the Day

Somewhere in Europe in 1930s, I guess. A happy mandolinist surrounded by happy friends/family.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Late-1930s--1940s,-Good-tim.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	382.9 KB 
ID:	114319

In the photo below, Guiseppe Branzoli (1835-1909,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Branzoli) is shown seated, and he holds an old mandolone/lute possibly converted to a guitar.
    The photo was taken in Rome in 1889 on occasion of an important concert given by players who used antique instruments for that performance.
    Branzoli was a noted mandolin pedagogue, and he authored a mandolin method book.

Name:	Branzoli 1889.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	114341

Name:	Branzoli.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	114342

Germany in 1930s. Perhaps an office party or some sorta club get together/celebration ?

Name:	Germany 1830s.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	114381

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Germany in 1930s. Perhaps an office party or some sorta club get together/celebration ?
    Looks like some photographer was hired for a combined mandolin orchestra/choir performance. The instruments are motley crew - a guitar and a waldzither in the second row, a banjo in the first. I guess the people played whatever was available - this was an economically difficult and chaotic time, on the eve of utter darkness.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Gibson ad in Dec 1921 Popular Science Monthly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ad (908x1280).jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	323.3 KB 
ID:	114746  

Default Is a photo from 1963 an Antique photo?

Is a photo from 1963 an Antique photo?
    While visiting my parents recently I came across this photo taken by my mom in maybe 1963? Me at around 2 years old "rocking out" to my dad playing my great grandfather's 1914 F4. My dad is now 83 years young, and still plays mandolin quite a bit with several groups. As for the 1914 F-4, I've been playing and taking care of it for the last 5 years or so.

Name:	dad me gibson f4 in 1962 001.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	118307
    Weber Sweet Pea
    Morgan Monroe MMS5W
    Gibson 1914 F4
    Gibson 1921 H2
    Saga AM-10 Work In Progress

I try to play every day.
    http://iversmandolinorchestra.blogspot.com/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backlineman For This Useful Post:

Great photo, Backlineman! I love the rocking horse, the cowboy outfit and the TV. I wonder if your dad was playing some Sons of the Pioneers tune. I also like your blog -- fantastic that you have such a vital familial connection to a mandolin orchestra. I look fwd to reading more on your blog.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here's one currently up on eBay. What a killer torch & wire F4. Dated Christmas 1913; maybe Santa gave him the mandolin?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1913-Mandoli...item1c408b2c83

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	293 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	119236
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Lastly this mostly Gibson (at least the guitars and mandolins) orchestra. Hard to tell what the banjos are -- they are not exactly in focus in the back. Possibly some Vegas.

I wonder how that sole bowlback player feels about not playing a Gibson like everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Maybe she's feeling smug and self satisfied that she isn't playing one of those 'slabs of timber' (or whatever bowlback die hards were referring to Gibson mandolins as.) She's playing a bowlback because it has the traditional, more appropriate sound for the classical music the orchestra is playing. She's saving for an Embergher.

Mick
    Old thread, just found it...love that bit of interchange.

Great pictures on the whole thread.

http://s645.photobucket.com/user/eiw..._1264.jpg.html

Doughboy Power Trio.

Can't really see the Mandolin very well. My grandfather Knox Owen is on the right with the guitar and stogie. Somewhere in France 1918.

Blog Entries

Markrob, I tried to tidy this up a bit....

Name:	dough.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	127750
    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

13. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Thank you Jamie! I'm such a rookie. Didn't realize I'd throw my whole photobucket album on the post.

Neat. As a bassist-guitarist,playing the mandolin is fun.I am used to eadg tuning so having the mandolin being gdae is fun for me. A delight is too weak a word for playing the mandolin. Wonderful or awesome is more appropriate.Be blessed and have a beautiful holidays all.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyamps View Post
    Gibson ad in Dec 1921 Popular Science Monthly
    $5/month pays for it, wonder how many months and what the downpayment was....
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Trying to locate the original article in the New York Herald wasn't successful, but a query to the Library of Congress' Music Division Reference Librarian led to a different article, from 1894, describing what seems to be the same expensive, pearl-covered mandolin at the Chicago World's Columbian Exposition. Which further searching led to:
    >> https://elibrary.arcade-museum.com/m...4-18-25-04.pdf
    The Music Trade Review, Chicago, January 10th, 1894, p. 10
    The past ten days, the beginning of the new and business year, start out very encouragingly and gives rise to hopes that the coming season will go very largely toward redeeming the World's Fair year. ... The famous high class mandolin made in the factory of Lyon & Healy, here, and shown for the first time in their exhibit at the World's Fair, has just been sold. It brought the highest price ever paid for a mandolin—$1,500. Mrs. Jennie Kimball was the fortunate purchaser who bought it for her daughter, Miss Corinne Kimball.

>> https://altamarkings.blogspot.com/2016/11/
    "For entertainment he may well have been directed beyond the White City to the most popular show in town: "Hendrick Hudson" at the Alhambra, starring Corinne aka Little Corinne, the girl with the mandoline, in the extravaganza's title role. ... Under the guiding hand of Jennie Kimball, 'Little Corinne' had captured the nation's heart. She often performed decked in a spangle of jewels, expensively dressed. The mandolin was the instrument of the day and she was groomed to great profit as its ultimate poster-girl. "Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corinne_Mandolin.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	208913

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropium For This Useful Post:

Entropium: has this mandolin been discussed here before? Your post sounds like it has. In any case I screenshot the Music Trades article. I would love to see a larger photo of the mandolin. In the photo of Corinne it doesn’t look so ornate

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6339.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	651.0 KB 
ID:	208914
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Well, since we're reviving a zombie thread - here is a cabinet card of some person posing with his Strad-O-Lin. (This one has been discussed on the Forum previously).

Name:	Stradolin Snitoff.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	631.6 KB 
ID:	208931
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Default Re: Is a photo from 1963 an Antique photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Backlineman View Post
    While visiting my parents recently I came across this photo taken by my mom in maybe 1963? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dad me gibson f4 in 1962 001.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	118307
    We didn't have the F-4, but we had the exact same rocking horse. I think my sister gave it to her grandson. They made good stuff back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    The mandolin was very popular at the turn of the last century for the "fashionable girl":

Name:	sumgirl.gif 
Views:	166 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	106193

I found that newspaper article in an old tune book. I love the reference to "Vellacia."
    Jim, let's see if the quote sticks this time...
    I don't recall how a search for some songs led me to your post of the New York Herald news clip, but that's what I sent to the Library of Congress Music Division, since google failed to turn up any citation. They didn't find the NY Herald article, but turned up this reference to Little Corinne and her $1,500 pearl and diamond mandolin in the St. Paul Daily Globe (January 1895), which led me to the only photo I could find of her with a mandolin, which I agree doesn't look like the fancy one. My search on the mandolins exhibited at the Columbia Exhibition found a listing of the Lyon & Healy that she bought, but no photos. Maybe you'll have more luck given those leads....

Name:	LittleCorinne_StPaulDailyGlobe_January1895.pdf 
Views:	50 
Size:	536.9 KB 
ID:	208950

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropium For This Useful Post: