Thread: Musical Typesetting Program

Default Musical Typesetting Program

I am working on a musical typesetting program, similar to Lilypond and ABC. I wanted to know if you were to use such a program, what kind of features and abilities would you expect or want from it?
    2009 Calace Model 24

Default Re: Musical Typesetting Program

No one?
    2009 Calace Model 24

I've been looking for a program that will make simple lead sheets. IE:song structure ( measures, beats) with a way to add lyrics text.
    It would be nice to include a chord dictionary in the software program that can be accessed.
    Importing features would be good. Also to be able to import or convert to PDF.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Amandalyn,

Until Chris's work matures you might like to try ABC, see my signaure.
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

I like to use programs that can also generate tabs underneath each staff line. The ideal: To be able to have a line of melody with lyrics above the guitar back-up in standard notation above the guitar back-up in tab.

And make it easy! (And that's gotta be hard.)
    Dennis Ladd

I use a program called MusEdit which generates tab/notation together. Also does lyrics, chord diagrams etc. www.musedit.com Created by Doug Rodgers, good guy, very helpful. Not expensive and easy to use. I got mine at Elderly.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Liere View Post
    I use a program called MusEdit which generates tab/notation together. Also does lyrics, chord diagrams etc. www.musedit.com Created by Doug Rodgers, good guy, very helpful. Not expensive and easy to use. I got mine at Elderly.
    Thanks- this program has the 'chord chart' feature I was looking for. Also seems to offer alot of options.
    Teri
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

This is a little off topic but does anyone know of a progam that will show the notation on screen as you play?
    I am learning and whilst doing exercises it would be good to see the notes on a scale in front of me. Or is that ambitious?

Thanks for the replies!
    2009 Calace Model 24

Quote Originally Posted by Amandalyn View Post
    Also to be able to import or convert to PDF.
    Exporting to PDF is trivial once the output is in PostScript. However, to import a PDF and extract the music from it is well outside the scope of this project (and definitely non-trivial) -- it is in fact, in my mind, bordering on the realms of fields such as voice recognition.
    2009 Calace Model 24

Quote Originally Posted by robb todd View Post
    This is a little off topic but does anyone know of a progam that will show the notation on screen as you play?
    I am learning and whilst doing exercises it would be good to see the notes on a scale in front of me. Or is that ambitious?
    If you have a MIDI interface, there are several programs that will do this -- such as Rosegarden that will notate as you play.
    2009 Calace Model 24