Thread: punk, emo, hardcore, etc.

does anyone play any punk, emo, hardcore, etc?
    On the mandolin. I play all types. I just wanna others out there that listen to this type of music and can play it.

Depends. Please concisely define punk, emo, and hardcore.

Seriously, do you play bluegrassified versions, or emando? If you play Pickin' on Black Flag, well...

i made a mistake on one thing.... I play all types of music except Punk, emo, hardcore. Its because the power chords and stuff. I try to convert it to mandolin it doesn't work too well most of the time. I bought a multi-effect pedal and a grunge distortion pedal to get me started on playing this type of music.

Bands that i have in mind that play this type of music.
    Story of the year
    Saosin
    From Autumn to Ashes
    Coheed and Cambria
    Yellowcard

I can name more if u like

I hate emo....
    But I play both punk and celtic and a combination of the two.
    My band has been known to do traditional covers of the germs, gg allin, and stiff little fingers....

Mutiny I hate emo too. Just for the record Mando would work as a back ground instrument in emo (such as the Volin in yellocard I would assume). Mutiny your band never does Flogging Molly or The Pogues? Yes they would work on mando because they use it.

we cover some pogues songs.... Navigator, sally maclennane, dirty old town, kitty. a few others to...
    flogging molly are alright but there is so much better in the way of irish punk. check out bands like blood or whiskey, mutiny, greenland whalefishers, warblefly, larkin etc....
    shitenonions.com has alot of really good information on this type of music.
    Cheers.

I don't see what people have against FM I guess it all depends on what sub genre of punk you like the most besides ITM/Punk. Wow three of those songs are from Rum, Sodomy, and The Lash just pointing that out for no reason (and Kitty is from Red Roses for Me yes the Pouges are one of my all time favorite bands ever) like any Scottish Punk like Real McKenzies they are so awesome.

Funny to see this thread. I play bluegrass.But from 80 to 84 I was lighting director for X. I just found the only full X concert ever shot on video. It was done April 4,1983 at the Roxy in L.A. Tonight I played it at home for the first time in twenty years.This is the only copy of that show. I couldn't resist I punt my mando on a jammed to the tape.

Rick:p

I have nothing against em' its just theres so many better bands of that genre...
    we also play streams of whiskey, if i should fall from grace,fairytale of new york, boys from the county hell (my personal favorite)the body of an american, young ned of the hill and the parting glass.
    yes I really like the pogues...
    I wish my other band mate would get off there collective asses and learn the battle march medley. now thats one hell of a tune!

haha, awsome.
    nausea bloody red eyes go to nausea bloody red eyes go to nausea bloody red eyes go to sleep....
    I'd love to see a copy of this video.

Tone Monster, what do you want for a copy of that tape?! Grew up on X and the Blasters.. Could never get my hair to look like Billy Zoom's..

tonemoster.
    i a big x fan. it must have been very wonderful to have worked w/the band during those years. did you leave the band around the time bill zoom left?
    sam

Yes I left in early 85.JD and Exene broke up and I said I would leave when Billy did.Things were not the same. I also work withe The Blaster, ,Cramps,Gun Club when I was not touring with X. As far as the tape ,I am now a film producer and have to see who in the band or managment wants to do with it first. It is the only uncut video of a X concert so I have to be carefull.

Rick

Streams of Whiskey is one of my favorite Pouges' songs ever. All those are good songs all the ones that I have heard I don't have an album or two of theirs.

hi rick,
    hold it. you said 3 magic words...the gun club.
    they were possiblly my favorite band "fire of love" thru "death party" (that was after "las vegas story" , right?)
    everyone gets introduced to the blues in a different way and the gun club were my introduction thru their cover of "preachin the blues.". "fire of love" remains one of those desert island discs in my house. when i read jeffery lee's obit in the ny tiomes years ago it hit me real hard. (much like when strummer or robt quine died recently.) I'm sure they were difficult to work w/at times but, whatta band! thankfully the majority of their material is available on cd these days. you know about this site?
    http://www.magnix.demon.nl/gunclub.htm
    billy zoom "scared me straight" when i asked him about his life a professional musician. when x played here around the time of the "wild thing" single (1984?), billy zoom told me he was quiting after the tour because he was making less than 10k a year playing in x. for me, that was a real wake up call.
    sam

Jeffery Lee was a real good friend.I introduced Kid Congo to the Cramps and that's how he left and joined em'.That made Jeffery happy as he loved Lux,Ivy an Nick.A to 1984 what show was it you attended ?I might have been there.Also on the tour bus in those days we listened to Bob Willis,Hank Williams and Bill Monroe and The Weavers all the time.That started the Knitters.

Rick

hi rick.
    i had the conversation w/billy zoom at a club called heaven in pgh, pa. earlier in the day they did a meet & greet in a record store & they signed a whole bunch of stuff. i also saw the under the big black sun in cleveland. i remember it was a very hot evening & after the show x shared their budwisers w/us up front.
    i saw the "death party" tour @ the 9:30 in dc. in the middle of sexbeat jeffery ran into a pole on the edge of stage & knocked himself out briefly. i saw the "las vegas story" tour at a club in pgh called the decade. the owner shut their set down during the first set as he felt the audience was getting too out of control.
    i just found a sealed copy of the knitters cd in a $1 store for a dollar. it's funny that x listened to b.monroe & hank sr in the tour bus. that's what i listen to now.....
    never saw the cramps. but they're playing here next month. i wasn't sure if they'd be worth it.
    sam

I haven'y liked the Cramps for years but that's another saga and I don't think they like me. I was with X in at the PA. show and remember that hot night. The club I think was in nome office building and the Ramomes were there right before us. The Ohio show was a Agoura if I remember right. The basement Of the 9:30 in DC were some of my best touring memories (Shelia was her name ). Oh well those were the good ol' days.

Rick #

PS: nice sight for Jeffery, I first met him when he was the president of THE BLONDIE FAN CLUB. One night I was with him at we partied till dawn at Chris Morris's pad in Westwood. (Chris is now a editor for Billboard)In the early morning he and Kieth Morris(no relation to Chris)took acid and went to the grave yard to hang out with Marilyn Monroe.

I want to start a Ska band with Irish Trad instruments instead of a horn section. #Guess when 3rd wave dies I will move to Ireland and follow through sorry I thought it might be relative.

I've had a go at playing punk on my electric mandolin, but lately I've been trying slowed down acoustic countryish versions of punk songs. I played The Clash's 'Career Opportunities' at a session in London a few weeks ago.

Neil
    "You would stop the sound of my mandolin before it was out of my head" (Arthur Rimbaud)

Hey Unseen..call me when ya do, Im game! #My neighbors kid (13) loves to borrow my Ska CD's, albums, etc. #He plays clarinet in the school band and is takin drum lessons at home. #He's totally into it and surprisingly enough his favortie stuff is turning out to be Skatlites, Toots & da Maytalls, etc. and all the real old stuff but he really likes stuff like the Toasters, Specials and lots of the 3rd wave bands as well. #Last week I surprised him with a ticket to Toots and the Maytalls at a local club and to my surprise it was his first concert he's ever been to. #It was awesome and he got a chance to hang out with Toots and the band for 20 minutes or so since I have connections at the club and Toots is such a great guy! #He was in heaven and I must admit I haven't felt that good since the last person I got to help out...giving is so rewarding...too bad it took me so long to realize that

Look up (to see whats comin down)

Blog Entries

Thought I was the odd one working out Bluegrass arrangements of old R.E.M. tunes, and then find this wonderful thread! I was quite sad to see the passing of another Ramone the other day (Jonny, R.I.P.), but noticed in the Obit that X had recently played a benefit for cancer research. The still banging it out regularly?
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

They've toured through portland twice in the last couple years....

Mandolin can fit nicely lots of places. I use an F with a mic for many songs in my punk band. The repetoire is all originals - think Boston 80's and 90's but evolved to present. We do one (sometimes two) different covers/ year - this year was Talkin Heads' "Heaven".
    I would have liked to seen that Toots show. I did sound for them when they were here a few years ago. I'm still trying to work up that solo played with the teeth technique!

rasa

There was (is?) a lefty punk mandolin performer in England called 'Attila the Stockbroker'. I saw him a few times in the 1980s. See:
    http://www.attilathestockbroker.com/ancient.html
    "You would stop the sound of my mandolin before it was out of my head" (Arthur Rimbaud)