Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you think would be the best case ever.

Default Re: what do you think would be the best case ever.

Original quote John Albert's:" Alternative: How about a standalone fiberglass "clamshell" shaped so that you can put a Travelite _inside_ it? For serious traveling, put your Travelite into the fiberglass shell. For lite duty, just leave the shell and carry the Travelite alone. A "two-piece" case setup - akin to a lightweight jacket with a zip-out thermal liner." This is a great idea John. Straying from the OP's question a bit my thoughts on fiberglass/CF/kevlar etc. are why aren't hardshell luggage makers using it? It's too heavy with questionable protection superiority. They all use a thicker Polycarbonate ABS hard shell material with much better joining surfaces and latches/hinges than we see on instrument cases. A heavy duty Polycarbonate ABS hard shell made like top of the line hardshell luggage is probably the best weight to strength/impact resistance option.

"Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene" ABS - isn't Polycarbonate,that's why it's called ABS. I'm not being facetious here,just pointing out the different name of the material. ABS is quite a bit cheaper than PC & although tough,it's not in the same league as PC either.
    PC is used all over the world in the production of 'tough-stuff', including high impact resistant riot shields used by our Police forces etc.. ABS simply wouldn't stand up to that type of punishment.
    Hank above,is right however re.the impact strength of PC being top of the line It's also top of the line expensive. A 8 ft x 4ft x 4mm sheet costs £135 UK ( $216 US) & that's for the raw material. If you want the finished case 3 mm thick,then you need to start off with a thicker material,as when forming,the material thins out by being stretched over the mold. The plus point in this though,is that once set up,a thermo-forming plant could turn out case mouldings almost like cornflakes. It's far less labour intensive that hand laying up a fibreglass case. So what you loose on the one hand, you could gain on the other re.cost. However - it's the inside of the case that's maybe more important,as that's where the Mandolin sits. If it's not properly supported,then regardless of the impact strength of the outer case,the instrument inside could be damaged - just my thoughts,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The term PC ABS was straight out of a Travelers hardshell luggage ad. In another ad more detail is given to explain that both are used."Polycarbonate allows the shell to absorb impact by 'flexing' when under heavy pressure
    ABS is added to give the shell greater rigidity to not deform when under pressure but 'pop' back into its original shape." I agree it sounds like large production would be required with one universal shape to bring the cost down. I still like John's idea for an inner lite wt. festival case.

Commonly, ABS is used as a thermoplastic, the sheet is vacuum formed while hot, then cooled , [wants to go back to another shape again if made hot enough, such as left in a car in the summer]

Polycarbonate sheet can be used in a vacuum thermoplastic mold, too.
    It has to be taken to a much higher temperature before reaching the needed softness..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The molding temp.of Du-Pont 'Lexan' PC sheet is around 250 degrees F. The sheets have to be stored in a dry environment prior to vac-forming,as PC absorbs moisture.Any moisture within the material at the time of forming,will appear as blisters on the surface. Also,if a precise dimension is required,then shrinkage allowance needs to be 'built-into' the molds.
    Re.PC impact resistance. My department at British Aerospace produced a few PC panels for some visitors from the Japanese Mitsubishi Corp. at one time.They were interested to see if they could replace the (very) thin steel sidewall panels in the Shinkansen 'Bullet Train' with PC ones. We demonstrated the impact resistance of the PC panels by beating the c**p out of them with heavy hammers & apart from the odd surface blemish,they remained un-damaged. Within 2 days of the demo.,the panels were packed & sent to Kobe in Japan,only to be lost during the worst earthquake
    in recent (at the time)Japanese history. I bet the panels survived !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The other cool thing about clear Lexan is that you can take a heat gun and (carefully) remove scratches from the surface.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

That's an idea Jim - clear 'see-thro.' Lexan PC Mandolin cases - The case of the future !. No need to open the case to gaze lovingly at your pride & joy lying inside !!!,(any jobs in marketing going ??),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

8. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Don't think I'd care to advertise to everyone what kind of mandolin is in the case. I prefer a plain old black case for that reason. Fancy cases just make for more temptation from "sticky" hands.

Taking Ivan's Clear Lexan shell idea , and adding an ability to change the pictures on the sides of your case, behind that clear window.. maybe a bit of income ... selling Advertising space on the sides of your case ? ,
    and maybe for security, a handcuff to attach the case to your arm..

Though the combination of case/luggage trolley would be handy..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I was thinking battery powered flashing 'fairy lights' inside - that'd get you some (maybe un-wanted) attention walking down the street !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Well as long as we're dreaming...

I'd like a case the size of a uke case that will hold my mandolin, my mandola, and my guitar --plus the necessary accessories like a notebook, capos, tuners, and straps. Yes, basically bigger on the inside than the outside. Oh and don't forget to make sure that the case, when full, weighs about as much as my wallet.

I don't care if the exterior material is papier maché!

Hey man, if Dr. Who can do it...

Daniel

I have an Eastman 'Violin' style case for my Weber for when i need a lightweight out & about case,but it doesn't fit my Lebeda which is a slightly larger instrument.After a lot of looking around on the I'net at various cases,i've decidedthat in spite of a bad previous experience with a stuck zipper on a Travelite case,that i'll try one of those for size (literally), when my dealer gets them in stock again.
    We talk a lot about Mandolin cases on here,almost as much as the instruments themselves,but we seem to be concerned with the outer case construction more than the inner.Obviously the outer case itself needs to be sturdy & not easily damaged,but,it's the inner part of the case that holds the instrument & the part that needs to absorb any shock if the case is dropped.
    The instrument needs to be supported by some means that will absorb shock before any part of it comes into contact with the inside of the case. It's not for fun that many items are packaged inside containers & surrounded by Polystyrene granules,chips etc.. These loose 'bits' can cussion impact much more effectively than even a soft,yeilding material such as foam.
    I feel that there must be an easy way to make a case where the 'padding' is comprised of 'Polystyrene chip' bags,which could be placed at strategic points around the instrument ie.the peghead area,to give much more protection. It only needs a bit of thinking about & we could make our own poly-padding bags to place in these areas if we think of them as being vulnerable to damage.
    So my ideal case would be a Polycarbonate outer (3 mm molded thickness) with an inner comprising a good thickness of polystyrene chippings in tough bags (fixed),under,over & surrounding the instrument.The case would have an outer nylon cover,with a pouch for our strings,& other bits & pieces,
    Just my thoughts - Ivan
    PS - The 'bags' for the poly.chips could be of the same velvety material currently used for case linings.They don't need to be plastic of any sort.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I don't know whether the Eastman case described above is like mine or not. The one I have looks like pictures I've seen of a Bobelock (sp?) Zippers, magnetic catches, etc. Actually, unless, someone tells me something bad about it, I really like it very much. It does not have the Hygrometer, but has lots of storage and is light to carry. I don't know its merits relative to being dropped, hit or crushed but I would venture to say that something severe would do damage to the mandolin. I am also prone to believe that would be the case with any case.

Why not a run of Pelican cases that will hold the travelite? The darn pelican cases are indestructible, you wouldn't need it all the time and they can be made with wheels if someone is serious about that. You could drive a truck over it and the stuff inside is safe. as far as dropping it won't break it but the stuff inside is only as protected as the fitting of the contents and packing used, nit sure how a travelite would hold up to that. I toss this out because I want to do it but don't have the resources to have the # of cases made that you would need for a custom batch. On the other hand there are so many different stock sizes there may already be one available in a size that would work.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

A case that carried itself and tuned the mando

I think the androgenous "A" or "F" fit alls are less desirable than teardrops or "F" shaped. I'm partial to Cedars and really like rectangulars for "F's" and teardrops for "A's". I like those padded leather handles. I think the built-in hygrometers are a waste of time and space. Light colored or white fiberglass cases look bad after a while because the wear really shows on them.

J.C. - The Eastman case that i have, is very similar to the Bobelok case,without the hygrometer.They are very good cases IMHO. Mine holds my Weber as i said,but the larger Lebeda just won't fit. It's nearly an inch longer in the body,which makes it nearly an inch longer overall.I do find the tendency of the magnetic catches to re-fasten a bit of a nuisance,but that's a minor point.
    If you think that a Calton case is expensive - have a look at these babies :-
    www.calderoriginals.com/ - £3,600 ($5,760 US) for a Violin case - crazy cash !! (again IMHO),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Has anyone seen the musafia violin cases not flashing lights but definitely flash http://musafia.com/masterseries.html
    some of the technology in it is good eg reinforced frame, 6 ply hardwood (olive) laminate construction that he says is stronger. The down side is that these are serious bucks $1000-2000.
    Craig

Craig - Those cases are beautiful,the 'other' downside,apart from the cost,i thought would be the weight. But at 6.8 Lbs (less instrument) it's not far off the weight of my Eastman,which with my Weber weighs 6.7 lbs.This case in particular,i think is seriously stunning (at a price !),
    Ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MasterSeriesClassicOblongViolaB.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	367.1 KB 
ID:	48938  
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Or maybe one that opened up to be its own instrument stand?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

I...DON'T....WANT....A....MUSAFIA....CASE........I ....DON'T....WANT....A...
    MUSAFIA....CASE....
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    From dealing with players over the years I've concluded that most people want a case that weighs a pound or less yet can be run over by a 747 with no damage, is small enough to fit in a brief case yet has storage enough for three years worth of old set lists, three or four electronic tuners, a strap or two, a music stand, a wind breaker and a bag lunch, has a comfortable handle, a shoulder strap and backpack straps, is totally water and weather proof, automatically maintains proper relative humidity, and costs about $40.
    I am quoting this post for truth. For the first time, I have purchased a mandolin unmated to a case, and I find myself turning in circles. I am drawn to the value of budget offerings but would like something a little more stylish for this instrument. I’m drawn to the style of traditional rectangles but would like something a bit more practical and protective for this instrument. I’m drawn to the practicality of more protective cases but would like something more affordable for this instrument. I’m finding the purchase of a case to be far more difficult than the acquisition of the mandolin to fill it!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I am quoting this post for truth. For the first time, I have purchased a mandolin unmated to a case, and I find myself turning in circles. I am drawn to the value of budget offerings but would like something a little more stylish for this instrument. I’m drawn to the style of traditional rectangles but would like something a bit more practical and protective for this instrument. I’m drawn to the practicality of more protective cases but would like something more affordable for this instrument. I’m finding the purchase of a case to be far more difficult than the acquisition of the mandolin to fill it!
    In your case the "best case ever" would be that you bought a lottery ticket and won. Then it wouldn't matter, you could buy one of each case.

My F5G has been in 3 cases since I got it. The first two were changed within months. The last one is a Calton and it will stay there. I understand your pain. Try to think in the long run.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

25. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

The closest I've come to owning a Carlton was when I bought a KM1000 at a festival. The seller had it in a Carlton and wanted $300 extra for it or I could have the original case. He sent me home with the Carlton and we met at a later point to exchange cases. I should have bought it.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

a well-built chipboard case. Yes, John, weighing under 1#. No! I don't forsee a Sherman tank or 747 in it's path. Yes, I do foresee carrying it onto a plane. It'll be overhead.

Some felt glued to the inside of the chipboard would be nice.

I'd go to $50 bucks; however.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A