Thread: Morgan Monroe Mandolin A-Model Natural M-A1

Default Morgan Monroe Mandolin A-Model Natural M-A1

Does anyone here own this model mandolin? I have a chance to buy one from a friend who received it as a gift.
    I don't play mandolin but have played guitar for 39 years. The mandolin appears to be in good shape no visable cracks or finish cracks, the neck is straight.
    Would appreciate input from people here.
    Ellen

Default Re: Morgan Monroe Mandolin A-Model Natural M-A1

I don't know the M-A1; I do know the MAM-200, which comes in at a price point a hundred dollars (give or take) less. I bought the MAM-200 for my kids: it's solid mahogany -- back, sides and top. There are some very good things about it:

It has a sweet, almost dulcet voice: warm, a little soft. It sounded thin at first but as the instrument has broken in it has become increasingly warm, which I like. I had a bone nut put on it to replace the plastic one and, because the set up is good, the action is clean and close: my youngest, who is seven, can handle it pretty well, which is to say he likes to play it.

My understanding (I may be wrong) is that the M-A1 is essentially the same mandolin but with a more traditional fingerboard extension (it may also be ebony, as opposed to rosewood): the chief difference is the top, which on the M-A1 will be spruce. The heavy tailpiece is nice.

I'm not crazy about Pac Rim instruments, and the cynical marketing side of several of these brands (the American Naming of the American instrument made in an Asian Factory) sort of ruffles my feathers. That said, the instrument is fine and durable: the fit and finish is clean: it's solid wood (no laminates) and it's not the kind of instrument I worry about damaging (I mean, it's hardy). My eldest (he's 12) and I spent a month or so picking it out: when he saw this model, he went, "Cool!"

Default Re: Morgan Monroe Mandolin A-Model Natural M-A1

If not already searched, look here at

http://www.folkmusician.com/Morgan-M...ductinfo/M-A1/

Shows what they cost new at this website with a HSC and strap.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)