Thread: Help Identifying a Kentucky KM-200S Mandolin

Question Help Identifying a Kentucky KM-200S Mandolin

I recently bought a used Kentucky KM-200S. I paid $300 for the mandolin, a nice Boulder Alpine gig bag, and shipping. It looked nice in the pictures and I thought was it would be a nice "beater" mandolin I could take on camping trips and such.

When it showed up I was surprised at how good it looked and sounded. The grain on the back has some subtle flame and the top has beautiful straight striped grain.

The quality of sound was way beyond what I expected. It's a budget instrument to be sure, but has a very pleasant tone to it that is surprisingly clear and resonant.

I have no idea how old it is or where it was manufactured. It's an A-style with F holes. Gloss finish front and back---medium dark violin brown I'd call it.

The headstock has the Kentucky name plus a leaf-like figure in what looks to be MOP. Headstock has a veneer backing with nice grain.

The body is double bound and the fingerboard is bound. It had a pickguard at one time (I can see the empty screw hole) but no longer.

The fingerboard appears to be rosewood. Dots look like fake MOP and the frets are square-ish and a little tall.

Inside is a gold oval label which says:

KENTUCKY MANDOLIN
    GUARANTEE
    STYLE KM-200S
    NUMBER 12100
    Saga Musical Instruments
    SO. SAN FRANCISCO, CA

Anybody have any idea when this mandolin was made or if it comes from Japan, Korea, or China?

I've searched all the threads and google hits I could find to no avail. Many people suggested to contact Saga, but then I read that Saga just says they don't keep records of serial numbers and won't help. So unless I find someone who knows about these mandolins I guess it'll have to remain a really nice "mystery" mandolin.

I would attach pictures but I don't know how to do that.

Any help much appreciated.

Default Re: Help Identifying a Kentucky KM-200S Mandolin

Trying to attach some pictures. We'll see if it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky KM200S Mandolin 5.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	47000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky KM200S Mandolin 6.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	47001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky KM200S Mandolin 14.jpg 
Views:	690 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	47002  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky KM200S Mandolin 15.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	47003  

I'm waiting on the postman to deliver my first Kentucky, really glad to hear how pleased you are for quite selfish reasons, I'm hoping to be as happy. That looks lovely in the pictures, the colour of the wood gives it a nive aged look.

In my quest for a new beater I had a look at a KM-200S today, and I believe that the tag on the back said "Made in Korea." The one I tried seemed older and clearly needed to be restrung, so I passed on it. (FWIW, it was also from Saga in SF.)

You've got me thinking that maybe I should go back, and with a new set of strings and some TLC...
    -Patrick

"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity.'' -Dave Barry

I have a km-250s that was made in the early 90's or before. I know it's from before '94. The nut was replaced with bone and the bridge was replaced with an ebony Loar type. It's the best sounding Kentucky I've ever heard. Considering I've not been around much that doesn't mean anything, but personal satisfation goes far. I did see a fella on a local PBS television program called "Song of the Mountians" play one just like it. A km-250s with f- style tuners and it sounded great. It amazed me, and when I found one just like it I snagged it. My father-in law has it now, or I'd read you the numbers. I know it's five numbers and they start with a 2.
    Ready To Go,
    gREg

This is a bit late, but thought it might help. I have a km-200s that was a gift from my ex back in the late 80's. I play guitar and never really took the time to learn mandolin so it's been sitting in the closet pretty much untouched for the past 20 years! Anyway, it still has a small "made in Japan" sticker behind the headstock and the serial # is 16544. So, if the serial #'s are in any kind of sequence, the serial # 12100 must be for a Japanese made model from 1986-1989?
    One difference that I noticed between yours and mine is the tailpiece. Mine is similar on the top edge, but the body of it has the word "Kentucky" in the same lettering as the headstock etched across it.
    Hope this helps!

My first mandolin was a new KM-250S S/N 16575. I bought it through my teacher who was a Saga rep. here in Denver. Paid $262 on November 15, 1988. I sold it to get the KM-850 I still have.
    Tucker #16
    '91 Flatiron A5 JR
    Gibson A-3
    Mid Missouri M-0
    Mann EM-5
    Kay archtop guitar morphed
    into an octave mandolin