Thread: The John Reischman Interview

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default The John Reischman Interview

The John Reischman Interview
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001141.shtml

The Mandolin Cafe message board community submits their questions to John Reischman for this special interview.

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. Note that the addition of images, videos, links and other coding is turned OFF for this area.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: The John Reischman Interview

Thanks Scott, great idea with a great result. Is there a way for the general public to order a John Reischman Red Bear Pick?

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Young View Post
    Thanks Scott, great idea with a great result. Is there a way for the general public to order a John Reischman Red Bear Pick?
    Trey, I didn't know the answer to your question so I've emailed Red Bear and asked. There's a representative from there that frequents our forum so the chances are good they'll answer.

What a great interview. John is such fantastic musician, tone monster and genuine guy and what a great web-site.

That picture (in the interview) of Mandofest sure brings back great memories! My nephew and I were lucky and got to drive John Reischman and John Miller back to airport after the conclusion of Mandofest and you won't meet two nicer guys. As I was dropping them off at the gate, John R gave me about fifty pages of music to work on based on our conversation en route to the airport.

We are all so fortunate to have the Mandolin Cafe and hats off to Scott for all his efforts.

Thanks John and Scott.

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

I'm in a dead heat with John over his transcribing of "Up in the Woods"...he told me about it at Blueberry back on August 2, and I'm 4 tunes in. My faves so far are the title track and "Eighth of February"...now, to just get that TONE.
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Very good interview Scott,thank's for doing this,and thank you John Reischman for your time..very informative...looking forward to more.
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

original quote by Jim Roberts
    "What a great interview. John is such fantastic musician, tone monster and genuine guy and what a great web-site." ditto Thank's again Scott.

Extremely cool project and good info!
    Last edited by San Rafael; Oct-26-2009 at 8:06am.

Great project and good info. Enjoyed it very much. It's cool to learn that John is an old-time music fan. It certainly comes through in his playing. And that mandolin collection......nice!!

Thanks for the work put into this Scott. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!

Thanks Scott.

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

Thanks for this, Scott. I really enjoyed it, and would love to see more of this type of thing.

Nelson
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

Hi Folks,

I am pleased to see John's interview and the response it has garnered. Very cool! John certainly is one of my favorite mandolin players. I love the tone he gets from his Loar.

Regarding his pick, it is a slightly oversized style "E" in medium gauge, no grips, and a left hand bevel. He always orders in the Red Jasper color. These picks are easily obtainable from us - simply purchase a style "E" in medium with left-hand bevels and the red color and then note that you want the "John Reischman version" when you order. You may or may not want the left-hand bevel. Please make sure you know which bevel to get, if any. If you have any questions, please email or call and we'll be happy to get you straightened out. In short, if you tilt your picking hand toward the headstock when you play, then you need a Right-Hand bevel. If you tilt your hand back so that on the downstroke, the bridge side of the pick hits first, then you need a Left-Hand bevel. If you hit flat on the strings ala Andy Statman, then you need no bevel, which is what we refer to as a "Standard Bevel".

I hope this helps. Again, please email or call if you need more. We're always happy to oblige.

Regards,
    Dave Skowron
    Red Bear Trading Co., Ltd.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trip down memory lane: Mandofest 2004 picture scrapbook here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2974
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Blog Entries

Here are more photos from my mandolin playing friend Larry Pennington in case anyone's interested in more pictures: http://imageevent.com/lpenning/mandofest204

Thanks Scott. I really enjoyed the interview and look forward to your next project.

Looking forward to seeing John in concert in about 3 weeks, maybe I'll have some follow up questions for him.

Thanks Scott, fantastic interview! Can't wait to get home to practice. Hope to see more of the same great stuff coming in the near future. This site is unbeatable! Nothing compares.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Blog Entries

Great interview! Thanks so much. More, please!
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Great interview! Thanks Scott and John.

Well, John R. is self-taught, never spent too much time on scales, was unafraid to put a radiused board on a Loar, and chooses Red Bear picks! Heard from the horse's mouth right here on the cafe!
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

Personally,i can't wait for the 'Up In The Woods' transcriptions,especially as it will contain "The Eight of February",a tune which i've got down around 90% accurately,but i'd sure like to get to grips with the other 10%. I hope we'll be well notified when the transcriptions are available. Many thanks for this Scott,great to hear from one of my 2 favourite players & i'm still hoping that he may be teaching at next year's Sore Fingers Summer School in the UK.
    His self-teaching regime almost exactly parallels what i've done all my playing days,so it seems i've been doing something right at least,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Noting the anniversary of this interview with John, one of the Cafe's very earliest.

John Reischman Interview
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Oct-25-2019 at 11:38am.

Blog Entries

Observing the anniversary of one of our earliest feature interviews.

23. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

Noting the 10 year anniversary of this feature interview. This was one of the earliest.

Blog Entries

Published this date 11 years ago. Check out that early pic of John with Tony Rice Unit!