Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Scam alert: "1924 Gibson A-2 mandolin" on Knoxville CL

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scam alert: "1924 Gibson A-2 mandolin" on Knoxville CL

Just received an update from an attorney I've worked with on this. The registered letters were finally returned to him (the lawyer) undeliverable. Danny has apparently moved and left no forwarding address, or has people he lives with that are presenting that story. There's no way to tell, really, or so that was what we were presented with. Can't say I'm surprised at any of this.

Blog Entries

This scam alert thread will do a lot to discourage would be scammers from poking around this site, regardless how things turn out with Danny, though I feel the frustration for those who are owed money.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Sad news, that. As I recall, that criminal searches website turned up activity by people with his name in other states, including South Carolina and Arizona. Not sure if that's the same person, but it does at least suggest that he could turn up anwhere operating the same way. His operation is pretty mobile, after all, requiring not much in the way of physical setup. At least all the investigation and reporting you have done will give future possible victims an idea of what to look for from this guy, and hopefully they'll avoid him.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

just to clear up the Justin Clabo part. Justin is from that area. as a matter of fact, he lives in sight of dollywood. he is a super nice guy and a christian man. he is a paramedic and a father. i have played with him he is a very good singer/guitar player. i look forward to picking with him again new years weekend when i travel to my second home in maryville, tn. i also know he is in the market for a better guitar but he is an honest guy from what i know about him.

i hope they catch the sorry sob that is cheating everybody out of their hard earned money. sevierville/pigeon forge is like home to me and the best bluegrass pickers inthe world are hanging out there and if i can't find a full time job soon, i am headed back there to try to make music full time. beats trying to work full time

rhett dennis

www.bluegrassinalabama.com

I joined this forum just to post on this particular thread. I tried the link to Danny Spurgeon facebook and he signed on yesterday. Gives his hometown as Newport which is some 25 miles from
    Sevierville/Pigeon Forge. Says he may be moving to Del Rio which is another 10 miles or so from Newport.

I regret he is living in East Tennessee as most of the folks here are honest and very trustworthy. I see he is looking for a bluegrass loving mountain girl who likes moonshine. Maybe we could fix him up with one...with a badge.

Blog Entries

Haven't updated this discussion in awhile, and normally would have no reason to. However, while at NAMM this weekend I had a message board registration attempt from the right area of the country, and clearly from Danny or someone from his crowd. I emailed a note back to them asking for information but received no response.

This is a reminder. I predict he still has at least one instrument he's looking to unload on someone, and of course you can sell a mandolin you have no intention of delivering many times over. Beware on Craig's List, which has virtually nothing in place to monitor his activity. eBay, you have to at least have a credit card, and after you've been booted off a few times by their enforcement they tend to not let you back on without the hassle of a credit card, which typically requires a bank account, which I'm guessing is a problematic hurdle for him.

Remember, when someone says to not email them because it's not working, delivery doesn't match their address, they say they're selling for a friend, their name changes during the transaction, they ask for cash or money orders, those are all strong signals. There are way too many good honest dealers and sellers that will not play any of these games with you.

Hands of Music Artist Adam W. Carlos's Avatar

I am a new member to the Cafe, though I have visited the site often, I am not sure why I never logged in before after almost ten years traveling the festival circuit with my Hands of Music art (some of you may have seen me).

I have just read almost this entire thread and am glad to know that there is a self policing of scamming in our community. I am currently thinking of upgrading mandolins and hope not to get taken. Please keep the posting potentially shady sellers. I know now to be very careful.

Also, I am from Sewanee,TN please don't confuse me with this guy from Sevierville.

Scott your diligence on this matter is to be commended.

Thank you,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I just got a PM from someone in Sevierville that feels that my statement that Sevierville was the new Nigeria painted an unfair picture of the area. .
    aww Mike we know you was just funnin!

Anything new on Danny? Looks like he has gotten away with scamming people of their money.

Hey Guys,
    I just joined this group to comment on this thread. I was googling "Justin Clabo" earlier today because he ripped my husband and I off through a craigslist transaction. So, when I googled his name, I found this long thread about the mandolin scam.
    Someone posted earlier about Justin and how he is a good Christian man etc..... Well, he might be, but he also doesn't feel bad about stealing someone's money.
    We sold him our large flat screen tv, and to make a long story short, he did not pay us the full amount that he agreed to. Then, when we tried to call him several times in attempt to collect the rest of our money, of course he could not be reached.
    I have checked out his myspace account, and even requested to be his "friend" on facebook. LOL
    Yes, he is a firefighter from Sevierville that lives very close to Dollywood. Yes, he is a husband and has 4 daughters. However, he is not an honest man. We learned that first hand. I have no idea if he and this Danny guy are the same person, or maybe friends, or who knows. But, I do know that you should stay away from someone named Justin Clabo. Do not allow him to purchase something of yours through craigslist, and definitely do not buy anything from him either. Sometimes people aren't always who they "appear" to be. (Sorry to his friend who plays bluegrass with him- I'm sure you didn't want to hear this, but it's true)

Has anyone that was involved in this been able to get their money back? Any updates?

No we have not. No updates, it's history. I kind of hate to even post this but you asked so.....

just to satisfy my curiousity, did muscalmama actually make a person to person transaction with justin? i am not disputing what happened but i was wondering if you actually met him in person. my experiences with justin has always been very positive and i hope this was not the case. but i have been fooled before and i am sure i will be fooled again

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Beware this listing. A Loar-period paddlehead A4, erroneously listed as an A2, for $1300? Don't mind if I do. But ...

I'm attaching three photos. #1 appeared with the CL ad. #2 is the first one the seller sent me; #3 is the second one he sent me. #3 definitely doesn't match either of the first two, and I'm not sure the first two match either. Resolutions are low, but the shape of the burst doesn't seem to match, and #1 appears to have an adjustable bridge while #2 doesn't. In fact, the fretboard extension on #1 looks more like an H2.

The second two photos also don't match the 1923 serial number the seller gave me, nor do they bear out his claim that the mandolin has a truss rod.

The kicker is that the seller turns out to be someone who's been kicked off the Cafe numerous times for trolling on the message board and running fake ads on the Classifieds. I guess I won't be pursuing this one further, and I don't recommend it to anyone else, unless of course you live in Knoxville and employ several bodyguards.
    Coming to this really late - so excuse me for firing the whole thing up again.

But looking at the photos ... regardless of the actual LOOK of the instrument, buyers should always be aware of other clues in pictures.

In this example .. why is the mandolin on two different stands? Personally I only own one kind of stand (actually two but they're identical). And - how many rooms do you have in your house with similar lighting but totally different floor textures? In these photos, one's with a carpet, one against a (suspiciously Photoshop'd) white background, and the front-side-rear photos obviously done against a photographic background with side and fill lighting.

Even if it was the same mandolin, they've not been photographed by the same person.

A reputable dealer might go the the trouble of photographic lighting, but most of us pick a sunny day and take all the photos at the same time.

Be suspicious of anyone with conflicting photos!
    Chris; London, England

http://www.myspace.com/mandolinjack

http://uk.youtube.com/user/MandolinJackFlatt

(Furch MF23, Gibson A0, Hoyer archtop, a nameless tenor, Abbot banjo ..
    + some guitars)

Blog Entries

There it is again, our favorite boy and his mandolin. May be sold by now.