Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you REALLY get out of this site?

Default Re: What do you REALLY get out of this site?

Yes, yes, yes to many, many of your questions, Scott! Just donated.

Were it not for this site, I never would have heard of Andrew Mowry, and therefore my new Mowry A-5 would not exist! And therefore the world would be a lesser place. (Or at the very least, my world would be a lesser place.)

Scott you do a great job with this site. I have been a member since March 2009 but have just recently started to participate in this forum. I have been a member of a number of other forums and none of the others even come close. The people on this site really are willing to help other members and we even get helpful advise from professional luthiers. I started playing mandolin about a year ago after playing guitar for several years. Now I seldom pick up a guitar and I truly love playing the mandolin. If we can help kids learn to play and enjoy the mandolin it could change their lives. I am in and will send a check tomorrow.

I've been a frequent visitor/user of Mandolin Cafe for a longggggggg time and am glad to give a little to help someone else learn a little more about playing a mandolin... Scott, we all you a big debt of gratitude for all the entertainment you have allowed us to have with this site. I know of no other site that is as policed as well as this one... A big thank you for all you do.. Ken Cartwright
    KMUZ Community Radio
    www.kmuz.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandomedic View Post
    I've been a frequent visitor/user of Mandolin Cafe for a longggggggg time and am glad to give a little to help someone else learn a little more about playing a mandolin... Scott, we all you a big debt of gratitude for all the entertainment you have allowed us to have with this site. I know of no other site that is as policed as well as this one... A big thank you for all you do.. Ken Cartwright
    Ken, no one has supported the mandolin community through this site more than you have. You're a model citizen and when I grow up, I want to be just like you (although I'm pretty grown up already)!

Congrats on getting married!

Just assigned my official treasurer (read wife) the task of writing check to fund. Scott the benifits I get from the Cafe are too many to list. I am probably prejudiced but I know of no other site like this one. How do you feel about running for President of the United States next election? G.B.
    What could have happened--did!
    2002 F-5L Gibson
    Eastman 915
    23 Gibson Snake Head
    62 Gibson J-50
    No name A-oval hole

Scott,
    Thanks for the opportunity to donate to such a cool cause...Done.

What do I get besides daily classified drooling sessions?

MOTIVATION and COMMUNITY anytime any where.

thanks man.

Barry
    Barry

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

Scott,

I sent a donation out today. (I've been on the road on business. I've missed the ability to visit the site like I do to break up normal days in the office! )

I can say YES to all the questions with these few exceptions:

- Marry someone you met online here (yes, we have one couple we know of!)

My lovely wife and I have been married for 58 years (29 apiece) - so historically Mandolin Cafe' couldn't have been the reason! (1980 was a bit before the Internet came along!)

- Had someone critique your playing and it helped?

I mostly play in my closet as my clothes don't usually throw things at me.
    Seriously, I don't do much mandolin in public, and thus far no one has hammered me about anything - other than observing I use my pinky finger a lot. (I have TINY fingers and hands, and can't reach notes 'normal' technique assigns to the ring finger, so I have to use my pinky more.)

- Made fun of Mike Edgerton (checking if he reads this)

I think I once commented on Ted being 'follically challenged' (that being about the time the new Mandolin Cafe' hats came out and he was wearing one on his vacation) but can't recall having ever picked on Mike.

- Got to show off your new YouTube video?

No one would ever bother to record me, let alone put me on YouTube. (Though it might indeed be comical and somewhat embarrassing!)

Keep up the great work Scott!

- Mark
    "The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

Mark, you are a saint in my book

I was a little late reading through the thread to see what it was all about, but I just made a donation. I certainly appreciate the opportunity you provide here, and I'm happy to support music education, too.

Thanks for all you do, Scott.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

To me, the Mandolin Cafe validated the reason to have internet service. Though of course now, YouTube justifies having broadband

Something mandolin players did not have in the past, the ability to communicate with each other over vast distances, catch up with old friends, and help support people when the time comes calling. I like this new thread of asking special people to field questions like the John R. and PGlass threads. Because of this site I have found old photo's of my past and reconnected with the Bay Area boys...I've bought the hats and the cups....how else can you say, Thanks!! Donation to Bluegrass? in this case, you got it.

Eric Hansen

i've gotten a great dealout of this site. learned lots of stuff and and been very entertained.

i popped in my donation.

what do we win in the raffle?
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

Scott...Thank you for the opportunity to give to such a worthy cause. This site helps me from going crazy..and many times ...helps drive me there....... looks like its time to go tilt at more windmills

Good conversation in something I'm interested in.

I donated, too. this is the best forum i have come across. i am awed by the folks on this forum and by their caring and supporting ways as well as their playing.
    Angel Cruz
    Russ Morin Resonator Ukulele, Coqui Cuatro, RiveraIntruments Cuatro, Manuel Morgado Cuatro, '09 Gypsy Octave Mandolin #110909047, '09 Redline Traveler #36, '82 Flatiron 1N #82081665, Morgan Monroe MMR-2