Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Good or Great Mandolins: What Makes the Difference?

Default Re: Good or Great Mandolins: What Makes the Difference?

NOTE: that this is an 11 year old thread you are replying to. Of course, no reason not to continue the discussion.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: Good or Great Mandolins: What Makes the Difference?

11 years and still interesting. I have four instruments that were made for me by top builders, Ellis, Hester, Mowry and Nyberg. I spent time both playing examples of each builder and getting opinions of each builder, mostly from the Cafe. Each of these builders spent a lot of time talking and emailing with me to make sure they understood what I wanted and that they felt comfortable providing that. Once they started each sent me pictures during the build to help keep me In process. After receiving the instrument, the builder requested my feedback and made it clear that if not, they were willing to make it right. In all four cases, the instrument was a keeper and something special to me. In my opinion, each reaches that "great" designation. Unless a catastrophe occurs, I will never sell. All these were commissioned after a personal history of mixed results in buying and selling mandolins. Bought some that I should not have and sold some that I wish I had not. Between those experiences and a lot of great knowledge gleaned here at the Cafe, my choices have gotten much better.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

3. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post: