Thread: Which One?

Default Which One?

I've got MAS bad! Real soon I'm gonna buy an F style but I'm having a hard time making a decision. I live a long way from any selection of good instruments so I have to rely on sound clips and the input of all you cafe members who have "been there, done that."
    A few weeks ago I thought I had it narrowed down to a Duff or a Stanley.
    Now I'm flip-flopping between an Altman and a Red Diamond.
    Anybody out there that can compare these last 2?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Which One?

I love Altman's.. If it were me, I would have one of each sent on approval so I could play them both and decide which was best for me.. You would out the shipping costs, but that is cheaper than traveling.
    John A,
    Altman F5

If I lived on your side of the border, I'd sure consider doing that but being in Canada, it can take up to a month for a package to clear customs etc.
    Then Revenue Canada would probably want the sales tax and such before I could get my hands on the instrument/s. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Rooster, is a choice between instruments in that price range, worth a "road trip" to somewhere you could actually try and compare?

Rest assured you'll get a great instrument whichever way you jump, but I'd be SO nervous about plunking down that amount of buxx on a mandolin I hadn't played.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
    If I lived on your side of the border, I'd sure consider doing that but being in Canada, it can take up to a month for a package to clear customs etc.
    Then Revenue Canada would probably want the sales tax and such before I could get my hands on the instrument/s. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    My Stanley came across the border with no hassles whatsoever other than a postal delay due to high volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    My Stanley came across the border with no hassles whatsoever other than a postal delay due to high volume.
    Mike; I'm just thinking that if an instrument crosses the border for a trial period, I'd still have to pay the taxes on it. Then if I was to send it back, what would I have to go through to get a refund on the taxes?

[QUOTE=allenhopkins;731304]Rooster, is a choice between instruments in that price range, worth a "road trip" to somewhere you could actually try and compare?
    Allen; I've sure considered a road trip. I'm almost on the west coast so it would most likely be a sky trip. That may happen yet.

Yes Rooster you do have to pay the taxes when it enters the country but you can get them back if you don't keep the mandolin.
    There is a form to fill out and of course it takes a while but you do get your money back.
    I am not up on the prices of Altmans, Red Diamonds, Stanleys or Duffs and how they compare, but have you considered a Heiden?
    I am just bringing it up because Michael Heiden is in Creston B.C.
    Might be worth a road trip?

I am not up on the prices of Altmans, Red Diamonds, Stanleys or Duffs and how they compare, but have you considered a Heiden?
    I am just bringing it up because Michael Heiden is in Creston B.C.
    Might be worth a road trip?[/QUOTE]

A buddy of mine just got one of Heiden's latest F's and I've had my mitts on it. It is a GOOD one. I think a new one would cost me about 50% more than what I'm thinking of spending. I'd love to have one but the $ is a bit beyond my reach.

Yeah,,, 50% is quite a bit more isn't it?
    I wasn't really sure on prices.
    Good luck in your search.

a strum freely zone nightstrummer's Avatar

HIya

Heiden is one Canadian luthier of note, Sawchyn is another.
    I can highly recommend Sawchyn, support another Canadian luthier,
    and save money and the hassle of shipping internationally, and let your Canadian dollar work for you at the same time.
    Hell ,if your in Van, you can come by and try mine.
    Last edited by nightstrummer; Nov-08-2009 at 12:30am. Reason: spelling

on the mandolin journey 8stringdreamer's Avatar

I share your dilemma. I am in the process of choosing my first sweet mandolin, and I live in a small town in Australia and even my closest city (Brisbane 3 hours) is lacking in in-store mandolins to try out (so far in my search... I am only just beginning really to search deeply). Sydney is the next closest, it is 10 hours away.

I think its hard to judge from recordings because of different microphones and heaps of other factors... Also good to sleep on a big decision for at least a week... I have rushed into many things in my life and hope that this small seed of wisdom saves others from doing the same.

Larry Muth is another one to consider.

I see a road trip coming on. It will be a blast.

I bought my first "nice" mando last week. I was going to buy one particular brand and model sight unseen based on clips and recommendations - one from a friend and excellent player who was very enthusiastic about the mandolin. I was able to find a shop two hours away that had several examples and some others that I might consider. Suffice it to say that I am very glad that I took that trip because I instantly knew that the mandolin I was about to buy was not the right mandolin for me. I was completely unimpressed with the mandolin that I had planned to buy. Frankly, my impression was that it was not much better than my Eastman. But, in the end, I got to play a wide range of instruments in my price range and I knew, right then and there, what I wanted to do and it was completely different that the original plan.

So, go on a road trip. You won't regret it.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Well-----It looks like the road trip is out.
    Like 8stringdreamer, patience is not my biggest virtue and I tend to get in a hurry most times.
    I pulled the trigger on a Red Diamond this morning. I'm sure It'll be a dandy.
    I'll report back after I get it.
    Thanks all for your input.
    Rooster

I believe that Apitius is building mandolins again (on the Canadian side of the border). That would also be an excellent option if he is. I used to have one of his, and that is probably the only mandolin I strongly regret having ever trading off.
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

I would say Altman, but that is probably because I have been fortunate to play at least 6 of them...all wonderful instruments. Check out the selection at Fiddlers Green Music Shop in Austin (one of the cafe sponsors). Clay has an Altman 2-point and three F's for sale right now. Have Ben play them for you over the phone...he owns one as well.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616