Thread: Playing in Hospitals

Default Playing in Hospitals

Over on the Acoustic Player Magazine Forum Larry Pattis posted the following. As wonderful an idea as it is, it should be widely shared amongst those of us who make music.

Ryk

"A post was made on RMMGA about a long day spent with a spouse in a
    hospital, and the recounting of that day including some live music that
    was provided in a lobby area...it was appreciated, to say the least.

I responded with this, which I thought I would share here:

I would encourage any of you with enough music/guitar skill to make
    reasonable instrumental guitar music for at least an hour to volunteer
    at a local hospital.

Many hospitals have music programs these days, and a good portion of
    this is with harp players, many of whom have "Music Thanatology"
    training...

...but don't let that dissuade you.

Playing instrumental guitar in a lobby area, or perhaps out on the
    floors, in lounges, etc., is something that your local hospital might
    be very interested in.

Give your local hospital's volunteer office a call, and ask if they
    have any music programs, or a music coordinator.

Brighten up some folks' day...

--------------------

LP"
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Default Re: Playing in Hospitals

I play with some friends once a month at a local nursing home. Sharing music with others is a good thing. I think we all benefit from it.

When one of our band members was in a convalescent hospital, we tried to drop by to cheer her up at least once a week; the nurses used to drop by to hear us play (we're acoustic irish) and never failed to tell us how much we brightened up the wards. We've let that slip away, alas, once our member left the facility. I ought to bring it back up, especially this time of year.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Disappointed in the lack of response to this thread.

I've managed to find time to play music for patients of all varieties every year since 1979. Nursing homes, hospitals (children's burn centers are the toughest for me), VA wards, cancer centers (Paul Newman's 'Hole In The Wall Gang Camp' in CT was my favorite)...pretty much every type of medical center.

Words can't describe the good it does most of those folks. Especially ex-pickers; Especially around Holidays; and especially for those who are alone.

Let's face it...there's a good chance you pickers will end up in a 'home' situation yourself. If you're really lucky you'll still be playing your instruments at some level. But I meet a lot of folks who can no longer function well enough to play. A lot of them.

Bottom line: It may be you inside those walls some day. So get out there and make someone happy while you can. Especially around the Holidays -- but pop-in a couple times a year if you can.

It ain't always easy, but you get to walk out those doors and go home when the music ends.

Our band plays at a nursing home once a month. If you're having a bad day nothing like some positive affirmation. They tell us how good we are, we should be on t.v., etc. We are just a little bluegrass band. It would be a stretch to say we're mediocre, but we're having fun and it's a joy to play for them! We should pay them for listening :>

Playing in a hospice facility is also greatly appreciated. I've played by myself and with a group and the patients are always grateful to hear some music.
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

We play at least once a month for a great non profit organization that send music and arts to nursing homes, assisted living places and hospital in need.

www.twartsoutreach.org

They have sponsors and get grants and we even get paid some for playing in there. Not much but enough for the gas to get there and lunch afterwards!

I have personally seen advanced Alzheimer patients "wake up" and start smiling and singing when we play something like Tenn. Waltz because it unlocked a memory from long ago.

Yeah I whole heartedly recommend go into a place and playing there.

Because ultimately we ALL will be there one day that is IF we are lucky to live that long!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Just make sure those people like your music and, if not, are able to say so.
    I remember playing in front of some 50 PVS patients in wheelchairs, intubated, and I could distinctly feel them hating me. Too creepy - I'll never do that again.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

My son was in the hospital for a week last year after surgery. Two friends came by with their banjo and guitar. My son greatly appreciated their visit, and everyone else on the floor could hear them (not sure that EVERYONE enjoyed the banjo - but they could hear it!).
    "Ancora lmparo", said Michelangelo when he was in his 80's (I am still learning)

Destroyer of Mandolins

I did this a bit when I was a kid. The residents of the retirement home loved it, but I got to be friends with them and when I would go back the next month someone would have passed away. That was too much for a 16 year-old to deal with. But that was a loooong time ago, and I've been thinking of doing it again.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

When I was stuck in the hospital earlier this year, I had my wife bring my guitar to me to keep myself occupied. My room became a magnet for many of the employees of the hospital - and the other patients. Music really does liven up those floors.

I haven't been back (all my charity gigs revolve around doing music for young kids), but can see a real need. I agree with the OP - if you have the time and can swing it - give it a shot. I bet you'll be glad you did!
    Pen

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley

Turkey Creek #17
    1958 Gibson A-40
    Ovation MM-68
    2002 Martin D-28

Blog Entries

Wife and I played in retirement homes a couple years ago evey week but when gas got to $4.50 we couldn't do it any more. We went to a VA hospital and another large hospital BUT they wanted us to have a back ground check and TB testing and the 2nd wanted us to pay $75 each for a class on something? So we droped it Goverment in action here in Calfornia
    fred davis

i concur with the OP. i highly recomend playing at any care fascilities absolutely.

But if i woke up to harp music, i'd expect to see my departed great uncle dealing me a hand of juker.

I play at these kind of facilities many times each year, from what I've seen posted before I think a lot of people on this forum do. It's easy to get involved in, just call up the ones in your area and they will most likely be excited to hear from you.

My band does this sometimes too, and I think it is also a very good thing to do. Always great to brighten up someone's day (or at least try). As an added bonus, sometimes you will get a really cool story, etc. Last time I played at a retirement home in the area, we talked to gentleman who told us about the time he did sound for Flatt and Scruggs, and two sisters who were were reminiscing about seeing the Monroe Brothers. Pretty great stuff when you are a group of 20-something guys playing old 'grass numbers.

I play tenor banjo in a little hobby band -- a seven piece brass dixie-style rag band -- that performs at area care facilities. Especially for holidays, such as this Wednesday. I occasionally perform solo at these agencies as well.

Blog Entries

I'm going in the hospital on the 25 for a per surgury interview I'm donating a kindey and I already told them I was bringing my mandolin they said they would take it away from me I replayed that it had better be from my cold died hands otherwise I was playing
    fred davis

I concur, and you don't have to be good. You should be able to at least play a passable tune or sing a little, but you don't have to be at a pro level to make a difference. My son's Scout Troop sings Christmas carols at a local SNF each year, and the residents can't get enough of it. Usually the songs start off in at least 3 different keys, come together a little in the middle, and then fall apart towards the end as the boys get distracted/try to fend off grandmotherly hugs, but the residents would listen all day. Of course, that's mainly because they're cute little kids, but I usually leave feeling guilty that we don't go there more often.

A word of caution, though...don't be surprised if many of the residents with more advanced dementia don't recognize much after the 1950s, and observe good hand hygiene while you're there. There are some nasty bugs floating around (MRSA, VRE, and any host of GI bugs during diarrheal outbreaks), but probably a bigger risk is that you'll bring in something to an immunocompromised resident...DO NOT let that deter you from going, just use common sense!

And, high fives all around to those of you already doing this sort of thing...
    Last edited by CES; Nov-09-2009 at 6:11pm.
    Chuck

Another angle:

During my brief tenure with the New York Mandolin Orchestra, we rehearsed weekly in a retirement home, playing right in the spacious lobby. You might be able to arrange for free rehearsal space for your bands, and bring some music into people's lives at the same time.

I work in a nursing home/rehab center, and I volunteer to play music there, I also play along with a harmonica playing resident, and a female resident who is a very good singer. She does a great job with the Prisoner's Song. I was going to stop by today with my mandolin, but I went hiking, and overdid it, and now I'm licking my wounds.

Bluegrass in particular is good for those who are suffering whether it be in a hospital or nursing home. All music has a spirit (waltz makes you want to dance, a march makes you march, etc.). The spirit of bluegrass is generally happy, family, the Gospel, etc. Remember Steve Martin's routine with the banjo how Nixon should've come out with a banjo during Watergate? That's why so many bluegrass ensembles play gospel music as part of their repertoire. Bluegrass is conducive to the Gospel.

Registered User thejamdolinplayer's Avatar

This is a great thing to do. We went out and played at my Papaw's nursing home before he passed away. And they invited us back to play some music for their Christmas party. It was a very rewarding experience to see the look on the alzheimers patients faces.