Thread: New Bridge for my teens A4?

Default New Bridge for my teens A4?

I have a lovely A4. The original one piece bridge and all other original parts are in great shape. It would be nice to be able to adjust the bridge height. Does it make any sense to get a good adjustable bridge fitted and keep the original in the case? Is it likely that a good new bridge will affect tone? Good or bad?
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Default Re: New Bridge for my teens A4?

My '22 A4 came with an adjustable bridge, so It is just adding a bit of a post 19th century modernization .
    It was later fitted with a fossilized walrus tusk upper bridge portion,
    by me, a few years back , seemed to be a nice touch..
    match picked up the color of the binding, and the rosette ring
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Does it make any sense to get a good adjustable bridge fitted and keep the original in the case?
    It sure does, I recommend it.
    Gail Hester

I'd recommend a Cumberland acoustic bridge.

Should I expect any tonal changes?
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I've changed lots of one-piece bridges with Cumberland Acoustics Loar style bridges. They have all sounded better to me but then there are usually other tune up issues that I'm dealing with at the same time.

Other than gaining adjustability and adjustable bridge will have a slightly larger footprint that I think is better for those old mandolin tops. Many vintage mandolins will have battle scares from those skinny one-piece bridgegs digging into the top at the corners.
    Gail Hester

I have heard that it is best to keep as little weight on the soundboard as possible for optimum volume and tone. So I wonder of the extra weight of the screws would make a difference? The 0.01 ounces or whatever, probably not but just a thought!

I had a '17 A-2 and replaced the original bridge with an adjustable one that I fitted to the top. My impression was that there were no disadvantages to this change. There was no noticable change in the sound (tone or volume).

A good adjustable replacement bridge for the non adjustable original is the Brekke bridge from Weber. It is fairly close to the same size and shape as the original and is adjustable! They work well and sound very good.

Keep the old bridge.

I have a 1915 A pumpkin top that came with the original one piece bridge.
    I also have a Cumberland that is on it now.
    It seemed to me at the time that the original bridge seemed to sound a bit better when I used it but, the big drawback was that with even slight changes in humidity it would become unusable, and start the strings buzzing.
    After several times of switching back and forth I finally came to my senses and stuck with the Cumberland and stored the original in the case.
    The truth of the matter is probably that there was no large or significant difference in sound.
    I tend to try to over analyze these things.
    If I were you I would go for the adjustability and convenience of a new bridge and keep the original for prosperity.

We've switched a lot of the one piece bridges for an adjustable from CA. They have all been improved by this. As Gail mentioned, they were also properly setup and that is also a help, but the adjustable bridge will give you better tone and the ability to more readily adjust for string height. I think it is certainly a worthwhile investment. Just keep the original bridge as well.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Some years ago I had a Cumberland Acoustic adjustable put on my F4, and my feeling at that time was that it changed the tone; took some of the "smokiness" out of the bottom end, and made it a tad brighter. It still sounded good, just a little different. A few months back I had the original bridge re-fitted and put back on to get back to that sound.

But it might all be in my head!

morgan, was the original bridge on your F4 a one piece bridge?
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Yes, it was one piece. The action was a little high, which is why I originally switched. By shaving it down a tad and refitting, it went back to the old sound with better action

The Cumberland Acoustic bridge (understandably!) brought the instrument more towards a 1920s Gibson sound, which I find to be slightly harder, brighter, and more aggessive. This probably accounts for the descriptions by others in the thread of improved tone with the adjustable bridge; depends on what you like.

By the way, I bought the bridge direct from Cumberland Acoustics and enjoyed the transaction; Steve Smith seems like a good guy.

Rob - I just saw your other post regarding luthiers. Jack O'Brien has worked on several mandos for me including the F4, and I've been pleased. He works out of his house so you have to track him down and set up a time if you want to meet with him. He makes phenomenal mandos. I had the bridge refitted at Luthier's Coop in Easthampton MA - matter of convenience, I was working out there - and they did a good job.

Update.

When I received my 1916 A4 it had original fixed bridge with small ebony individual saddle pieces. It sounded terrific in my opinion - a real good Gibson Oval smoky tone. The only problem was that the original bridge/saddle was just a touch low resulting in a fair amount of string rattle that I couldn't live with. I tried one option of shimming the bridge which did not work out. The shim made the bridge too high and the action could not be lowered to a useful level with the existing saddle inserts. I had to have the luthier remove the shim. After a bit of time thinking things over and getting more and more frustrated with the too low original bridge and string rattle I decided to have a new adjustable bridge installed.

I went to a local luthier this time - a fellow named Adam Buchwald - to have the bridge installed. He lives and works right here in my community. Adam suggested that I use a Randy Wood bridge. Adam fit the bridge to the top, touched up the nut slots in the new bone nut that had been recently installed and did a terrific set up. He finished the work on budget and earlier than promised. I am very happy with Adam's work. Highly recommended. I'm real happy that I found such a competent mandolin guy right here in my area.

The end result is excellent. The bridge is very well made and looks like a vintage bridge. The instrument plays very well and the tone is fabulous. The rattle is gone and you can really wail on the thing without a problem.

So, thank you all for the good input and advice. It helped a lot. I'm a happy camper.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gerety View Post
    I'm real happy that I found such a competent mandolin guy right here in my area.
    Yeah, it helps to go to someone who really plays the mandolin, and Adam's a great player as well as a skilled luthier. He works out of Vermont Instruments School of Lutherie in Post Mills.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

He also has his own repair business now. He lives in Norwich Vermont - and yes, he works teaching teaching Lutherie in Post Mills as well. He really did an excellent job - highly recommended for anyone in the area - we are right at the intersection of I89 and I91 - so easy access from all over New England.
    Rob G.
    Vermont