Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ricky and kentucky thunder

Default ricky and kentucky thunder

saw them last night .... killer!

Blog Entries

Default Re: ricky and kentucky thunder

I would love to see these guys on stage.

What did they play. What seats did you have?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I saw them front row in Owensboro, KY about a month ago. I was literally 10 feet away the whole time. I'm telling you that Paul Brewster's version of Kentucky Waltz in person with make you quiver. They are simply amazing at everything they do!
    Loar LM-700-VS Varnished/Distressed
    Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
    Recording King RD-316 Guitar

Never seen the band live....but sat in the Huber booth at IBMA with Jim Mills playing banjo.......and I watch their Soldier of the Cross DVD about once a month.....:-)...
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

I've seen them about 1/2 a dozen times. Spectacular. Flawless bluegrass music. Jim Mills is a real driver!

Bob
    re simmers

Yep, saw them in Clayton, NC a few weeks back. Absolutely great show!

I have tickets for the end of Janurary! I can't wait!

Although, of course, I'll have to.
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Sorry to be negative but did Ricky go into his religous preaching spiel? Saw them get booed pretty bad at one of his shows when he thought it was Sunday and he started preaching a serman....Also seen him hold up the show for 40 minutes while his own sound man set up up their own equipment at a festival in Gettysburg two years ago...

, Great pickers don`t always make a good show, it takes showmanship to do that and although he is billed as a top performer I don`t Ricky has all that good of a showmanship...I know what pleases some people don`t always hold true for everyone so thats just my opinion of Skaggs...I don`t go to the stage anymore at a festival when he is on....Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Sorry to be negative but did Ricky go into his religous preaching spiel? Saw them get booed pretty bad at one of his shows when he thought it was Sunday and he started preaching a serman....
    Ricky and Kentucky Thunder are playing at Mt. Hope Church in Lansing on December 19th. I'm going out on a limb here, but if Ricky starts preaching, I'm guessing that most folks won't complain.

I've never seen Ricky live so I'm really looking forward to this concert!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Mike...Thats where he should keep it, in church....Willie

They were at Hardly Strictly in SF - and were great.

Blog Entries

Whether or not we agree or like all of Ricky's stage act, at this point it should not come as any surprise to anyone who knows his stuff that he may talk a little religion or talk about his mom's cooking on stage. Kinda like being surprised to hear long stories and groaner jokes at a Dry branch Fire Squad performance, or weird facial expressions and body contortion at a Thile show. Rhonda Vincent will likely talk about Martha White a couple of times. Mike Compton will likely be wearing bib overalls. These aren't good or bad things they are just part of the performers stage (and real life) personas.

If any of these things really rub you the wrong way, don't go see them live because you can be guaranteed to hear/see them. By their CDs or not. I don't think they'll modify what's working for them on stage.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Jamie,
    That's an excellent reply. None of those things are a surprise at this point. I'll choose to see all of the above!

Bob
    re simmers

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

Sorry to be negative but did Ricky go into his religous preaching spiel? Saw them get booed pretty bad at one of his shows when he thought it was Sunday and he started preaching a serman....Also seen him hold up the show for 40 minutes while his own sound man set up up their own equipment at a festival in Gettysburg two years ago...

, Great pickers don`t always make a good show, it takes showmanship to do that and although he is billed as a top performer I don`t Ricky has all that good of a showmanship...I know what pleases some people don`t always hold true for everyone so thats just my opinion of Skaggs...I don`t go to the stage anymore at a festival when he is on....Willie
    I was wondering how long it would take before the conversation turned south. Chances are that if a person bought tickets they knew what they were getting (& most likely enjoyed it).
    Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

Are tickets still available at this time? I have never seen them, and heard the same stuff about the preaching he may or not do, but I have heard live shows that were explosive, and I might not mind a little preaching.
    Mike Marrs

Willie, I guess you'd consider me lucky. I've heard from others that Skaggs might preach at a show, but the two times I saw him--when he still had Bobby Hicks, so it's been awhile--he didn't. The next chance I get to see him I will, but of course I'll be wondering what will happen that night.

Randy S.

I think it's funny when people complain about Ricky Skaggs talking about his faith at concerts. I mean, listen to his songs. The guy is obviously pretty devout. If you don't like it, don't go to his shows.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Biorkman View Post
    I think it's funny when people complain about Ricky Skaggs talking about his faith at concerts. I mean, listen to his songs. The guy is obviously pretty devout. If you don't like it, don't go to his shows.
    I agree ...

Gospel music is a big part of traditional Bluegrass music. Heck I've been to a BG show that turned into a prayer meeting honest to God!

Doesn't really bother me if someone starts preaching ...Lord knows I need it!

He has always talked a lot on stage. Listen to the early NS shows if you don't believe it. And many folks (non-pickers alike) like to hear the band talk, not just pick pick pick. Heck, JD never utters a word.

I'm afraid the idea that "church" is the only place for preaching would be the opposite of what Ricky believes. As a Christian he sees it as his duty to share what he considers the truth with others, and no doubt believes that his musical success is a God-given chance to reach others. He's not doing it to promote a new album, he genuinely does it because he wants for everyone what he believes is best for them. Whether you agree or not is entirely your free choice, but it's part of who he is so don't be surprised if it comes.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Why doesn't he trust the songs to convey the message?

As much as I enjoy a discussion like this let's stay within the posting guidelines. If you haven't read them they are here. The message that diverted this conversation is more or less a troll in my eyes anyway, and the rest is heading down the wrong road.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    He has always talked a lot on stage. Listen to the early NS shows if you don't believe it. And many folks (non-pickers alike) like to hear the band talk, not just pick pick pick. Heck, JD never utters a word.
    Yea..one just has to listen to the Live in Japan Lp of the New South. Skaggs mocks the Japanese folk as well as his "Passer of the Torch" I wonder if he regrets in now.

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

returning to something worthwhile......

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    As much as I enjoy a discussion like this let's stay within the posting guidelines. If you haven't read them they are here. The message that diverted this conversation is more or less a troll in my eyes anyway, and the rest is heading down the wrong road.

The Cafe guidelines forbid "hot button issues meant to create discord," but I don't think the original anti-Skaggs post did that. A majority of the responses, which have defended Skaggs' talk during his performances, don't seem to be trying to create discord either.

Whether someone doesn't like the topic at all is another matter. Yes, the thread began as a discussion of Skaggs' performance in general but then changed. It might now be accurate to call this thread "Skagg's Sermons," etc., but the thread title doesn't change even though the topic shifts. Whether someone likes people talking about Skaggs' religious talks at his performances, many posters have done so in a civil way, and Scott T. hasn't yet ". . .deemed [this subject] inappropriate."

Maybe he will eventually? Or maybe, as in all other threads, people will soon just get tired of this topic and move on.

Randy S.