Thread: Wildfire....?

Registered User thejamdolinplayer's Avatar

Default Wildfire....?

I have become a huge Darrell Webb fan and about 6 months or so I discovered his old band Wildfire on Amazon. Man oh man do these guys jam, not sure why they split up too bad they couldnt have stayed together.

I know Darrell Webb just formed another new band and has played with Rhonda Vincent and Michael Cleveland in the past. And that Phil Leadbetter is now playing dobro with Grasstowne. But my question is what happened to the banjo and guitar player, are they playing with anyone right now?, because these guys rip and I would like to track down some more cd's.

I have all 3 Wildfire cd's and Darrell Webb's "Behind the scene" cd, I need to get his other 2 solo cd's of his. Phil also has a solo cd that I need to get. If you not have these cd's mentioned I highly recommend them...

Anyways thanks for your input, Rob

Default Re: Wildfire....?

I think the banjo player..Barry Crabtree...who also did a long stint with Larry Sparks as well as David Harveys Wild & Blue...is with Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper..maybe wrong on that and the Guitar man..Robert Hale is home in WV..Im not aware of him playing with anyone.
    Last edited by Scotti Adams; Dec-04-2009 at 1:12pm.

Wildfire was a hot band. Also, Robert Hale was in there for a while. Barry Crabtree is an excellent banjo man, as Scotti says, worked with a number of bands. I have on old tape of Sparks at the M&M Hall in Old Bridge, NJ, with Barry and Randy Jones on mandolin (terrific). Barry picks Kentucky Chimes like nobody's business.

Sparks had a funny line at that show. He had just released an album with Blue Virginia Blues on it. He introduced it as saying "Now here's a number that Bill Harrell recorded a little bit ago. If you compare his version to mine, you'll hear that mine is slower. You get more for your money!"

Last time I saw Wildfire it was still Robert Hale leading and Curt Chapman playing bass.

Darrell is a heck of a talent.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I believe Barry is living around Nashville and mostly freelancing with among others, Harley Allen, David Harvey, Dale Ann Bradley, David Peterson, etc. Jesse Baker is playing banjo with Mike Cleveland and Flamekeeper. Also, Jesse is a great mandolin player too.