Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northfield mando from Elderly

Default Northfield mando from Elderly

I just came accross these mandolins from Elderly, does anybody have any experiance with them? From the write up they sound like a good instrument for the money.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/n...in-v--NFF5.htm
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Default Re: Northfield mando from Elderly

Very interesting...I haven't played one....but there are some new pac rim fiddles that I've played that have been truely outstanding.....I've got a $1000 chinese fiddle that just beats the pants off my custom $4,000 fiddle in every way......
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

Looks nice. Maybe this is the new Eastman?

They look very nice. I'd like to get the chance to play one!

Blog Entries

They're in the builder database. Here's a quote from their web site:

Designed in the USA. Conceived in a Northern Field. Built from Premium American Maple and Red Spruce seasoned, dried and carved under carefully controlled building conditions . Responsibly hand-crafted in China, under the guidance of players and luthiers from several countries, by a small 3 person team in a workshop owned and operated by these artisan craftsman. Finished mandolins are meticulously inspected and set-up by master luthiers in the USA. Available for purchase exclusively through our friends at Elderly Instruments.

Their web site

We have had a couple come into our shop for set up recently. They look good and sound pretty good, but are priced a bit high. We were not impressed with set up and one had a glue joint coming loose. Nice overall, but I think there are better choices for the mo ey. I do like the neck shape. Overall, a good mando.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Smile Re: Northfield mando from Elderly

One of my mandolin students at East Tennessee State University recently got a Northfield F-5 and it is absolutely one of the best mandolins I've ever played in that price range. Everything fit and finish wise is top notch and it's intonation is spot on. It plays very easily and has great tone and super volume. I would recommend checking one out. It would be hard to beat it for the money!

Thanks for posting...I saw these in their catalogue and was interested as well...

Big Joe, thanks for the honest assessment...

Adam, thanks to you as well...your opinion carries a lot of weight in my mind, but I also realize that you could make almost anything sound good!!

Sounds Jade-esque to me...which would explain the variability in the 2 very expert opinions above. As an owner thus far of only inexpensive mandos, I'm becoming more and more aware of the variances from mando to mando in imports. There truly are some professional level Eastman/Kentucky/Jade/insert favorite brand here mandos out there, even in their lower price ranges, but there are also some dogs out there, even in their higher priced mandos...

If you can buy from a reputable dealer, and in particular if you can play before you buy you can find some real gems out there for little cash...
    Chuck

Sorry, but had to chuckle at the descriptive line, "responsibly hand-crafted in China." As opposed to those that are either (a)irresponsibly hand-crafted, or (b)responsibly machine-made?

Time's long past when manufacturers had to apologize for Asian construction. Very good instruments made there, using traditional techniques learned from European and American builders. In my experience, the "variances from mando to mando" among Eastmans, Kentuckies, etc. are no greater than those among domestically-produced instruments. Not every Gibson is a gem, nor every Jade or The Loar, but the days of "Asian-made = junky imitation" are history.

I'll be interested if a Northfield ever ventures as far as Rochester. Affordable, high-quality instruments are welcome, whatever their source.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen,

Interestingly, I had a Northfield NF-F5 at the Banjo Collectors gathering in Rochester a couple of weekends ago. And Adrian Bagale, who is the head guy behind the instruments, is a Rochester native.

Stan Werbin
    Elderly Instruments

I spoke with Adrian earlier this evening. It was a very good conversation. We discussed a number of items and I was clear that I was impressed overall with his mandolins. I did find out they are finished with spirit varnish, which will make a difference in price. All things considered, the Northfield mandolin seems to be a very nice mandolin and since it is a varnish instrument, a reasonably good buy at their price.

There are few instruments I would be satisfied with on set ups. I am a bit fussy about that and understand manufacturers do set ups for the general consumer not the pro or extremely fussy and that is why shops like mine are in business . It truly was a pleasure talking with Adrian. He is coming to visit in a week or so and I really look forward to his visit.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Quote Originally Posted by stanwerbin View Post
    Allen,
    Interestingly, I had a Northfield NF-F5 at the Banjo Collectors gathering in Rochester a couple of weekends ago. And Adrian Bagale, who is the head guy behind the instruments, is a Rochester native.
    John Bernunzio mentioned to me that the collectors were meeting here, possibly because the prexy of Rochester Institute of Technology, Bill Destler, is a major collector. I've been to his house and it's Banjo Heaven. John B and I have two examples of a weird, presumably Rochester-made "no name" banjo -- this is John's. Mine's not as fancy, and has the earlier, cruder brackets. I use mine for 19th-century historical music programs.

But enough about banjos. Perhaps I'll run into a Northfield mandolin along the way. Hope you enjoyed the Flower City.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Steffey View Post
    One of my mandolin students at East Tennessee State University recently got a Northfield F-5 and it is absolutely one of the best mandolins I've ever played in that price range. Everything fit and finish wise is top notch and it's intonation is spot on. It plays very easily and has great tone and super volume. I would recommend checking one out. It would be hard to beat it for the money!
    Maybe we'll be seeing a Adam Steffey model in the future.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

"Jade-esque"? .....hmmmm. The Jade web-site appears to be gone now. Wonder if the Northfield craftsmen are the same people?
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I played 3 Northfield Mandos, and at that price point, they are a strong contender, in my opinion.
    All 3 were set up well, fit and finish were fine, and sound and playability were impressive. Of course, at any particular price point, I think it's best to play the instrument and draw your own conclusion.
    Tony Szczygielski

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Charles,
    I played that Northfield at Elderly about a week ago. I was favorably impressed. I thought it sounded very good. I hesitate to compare it to anything because I was not A/Bing at the time, I just happened to see it and pulled it down and picked for about 2 minutes.

I see that Stan replied to your post so you might PM him and ask for more info. He would have a better ear than me for the nuances of the instrument.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    "Jade-esque"? .....hmmmm. The Jade web-site appears to be gone now. Wonder if the Northfield craftsmen are the same people?
    That was exactly what I was thinking.
    Striving for mediocrity and perpetually falling short.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    Charles,

I see that Stan replied to your post so you might PM him and ask for more info. He would have a better ear than me for the nuances of the instrument.
    Steve, I saw that Stan replied, it's nice to see him on the Cafe. I am more of a round sound hole person, I just thought these looked like alot of mando for the money.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Rochester is indeed a lovely city and well worth a visit by itself. Bill Destler's collection, for any banjoholics out there, is quite amazing and wonderful: http://www.billsbanjos.com/
    Stan Werbin
    Elderly Instruments
    1100 N. Washington
    Lansing, MI 48906
    phone 888-473-5810 or 517-372-7880
    fax 517-372-5155
    email at swerbin@elderly.com

Always buying quality vintage and used guitars, banjos mandolins, and related fretted instruments.

See the Elderly Instruments web site at http://www.elderly.com

Request our free catalogs of new instruments, accessories, videos, books, CDs, and more

i really was impressed with these at IBMA... They reminded me alot of all the nuggets i have played, of course they won't be as good as a nugget, but they are better than any sub 2000 dollar mandolin i have played.

I really like the inlay on headstock including the vine on the small scroll of the headstock. Really classy touch.

If the Northfield sounds like a nugget, I'm sold...

It better chop like a nugget. With this revelation I should try one on for size

I am wondering if the Northfield A models sound as good as the Fs and especially interested how they compare to other Asian imports, in particular the Kentucky KM1000. Can anyone comment on that?

they do sound just as good as the F's in my opinion, i played 4 of them at IBMA. great mandos. i'd say the fit and finish is better and you get a varnish mando, something you don't get with the kentucky, the sound is just as good if not better as a KM1000(i'm not dissing kentucky). IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtwang View Post
    I am wondering if the Northfield A models sound as good as the Fs and especially interested how they compare to other Asian imports, in particular the Kentucky KM1000. Can anyone comment on that?

Anybody got any Northfield updates?
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"