Thread: Gibson A-12??

Default Gibson A-12??

I found this craig's list ad for what's described as a Gibson A-12, but the picture clearly shows an F-style mandolin, although if you look at the scroll it's oddly not quite a scroll. Any ideas what the real story is here?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1498957202.html

Default Re: Gibson A-12??

Big Joe's Guitarworks has one of those too, listed as an A-12. It's got the "lump scroll".

http://www.bigjoesguitarworks.com/sh...%26aid%3D81%26

Saw one of those on Gruhn's website a good while ago as well.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Looks a lot like the "lump scroll" A-5 made in the '70's. Perhaps a more knowledgeable Cafe-er knows the difference between A-5 and A-12? The usually authoritative Vintage Guitars summary of Gibson mandolin models, doesn't even list the A-12.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The lump scroll A-12 was an official model, and the subject of a wagon full of threads on the cafe. A search will lead to a handful of smiles as well, IIRC.
    Striving for mediocrity and perpetually falling short.

I couldn't find anything on a search for A12, but "Lump Scroll" is the magic word. I have to say, even though it is a nice price for a Gibson, it would have to sound very good for me to put up with that appendage.

The oval hole version is an A-5 - yes, it's confusing with the 2 point A-5.

I owned an A-12 for a while in the 80s. It sounded pretty much like a real mandolin, but it was very quiet. As I recall the top seemed very thick. It was kind of OK when miked, useless in a jam. But it was what I could afford at the time.

They have been discussed often. Here is one thread. Here's a thread about a lump scroll Epiphone. Here's another discussion.

I believe Gibson was trying to produce a more affordable mandolin but they didn't go over very well. I remember seeing those occasionally at bluegrass festivals back in the 70's. They were o.k. considering the choices at the time.

Gibson was trying to cash in on the Disney Mickey Mouse craze when they introduced the double mouse ear mandolin. You can see the similarity to the Mickey Mouse guitar in the illustration. I think the threat of a lawsuit caused Gibson to alter the mandolin to one ear only. I believe the double Mickey Mouse ear mandolin may have lasted if it hadn't suffered the Van Gogh treatment. Just another interesting footnote in Gibson history!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MouseMandoGuitar1.JPG 
Views:	402 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	48311  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Somebody is going to take that as gospel.

I have a friend with one he got maybe 20 or more years ago.after a builder fom Alabama named Kirk shaved the top it played great ,was great sounding,and farly loud.Kirk tryed to get him to let him cut out the scroll , but he did'nt have the money.still its one of my favorite mandos.(i think the top shave cost 400.00) Scottie

Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars lists both the A-5 and A-12 under asymmetrical mandolins. Both made 1970-79. He lists both with lump scroll long neck, rosewood extension fingerboard. The A-5 had a fleur-de-lis on the peghead whereas the A-12 had no peghead ornament. Who knows what Gibson was really thinking back then?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1