Thread: Somewhere over the Rainbow

Smile Somewhere over the Rainbow

Howdy,

I work for an Outdoor School in California for 6th graders. Music is a big part of our methodology and my friend can play a wicked version of somewhere over the rainbow on his ukulele. I am wondering if anyone has information on how to pick that one away for the kids to enjoy.

Thanks a lot and I wish ya well

-Ben

Default Re: Somewhere over the Rainbow

Here is a clip of how I do it on mandocello. Key of G. Only chords are G, D, C then a n Em near the end.

John Reischman picked a luscious solo version, I think the tabledit is on Mandozine.

Simply perfect.

Grisman did it with Martin Taylor on Tone Poems, Mel Bay has a book with transcriptions. I learned it out of there, in the normal key.........but then had to play it in a different key for the range of a vocalist........took me some serious homework to pull that off. Nice jazz chord tune on the mandolin. Jethro Burns must have a version out there........

Thanks ya'll for your help. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find a tab to it since I am a beginner.

Cheers!

Try Mandozine HERE.
    They title it Over the Rainbow.

John Reischman picked a luscious solo version,
    so has JR ever recorded this on an album or is there a version floating around out there somewhere...if so I'd love to be pointed in that general direction...

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

There are several different versions on You Tube but this one is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xraVMt7Hq_4

Simple...Looks like G, C, D...And the kids could sing along.
    1991 Flatiron Festival
    2010 Morgan Monroe MDM 2
    1997 Martin D-35
    2012 Taylor 410CE LTD
    1977 Fender F-65

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

The key is Bb.

A standing joke among jazz musicans is to oversimplify the changes of standards,
    e.g. play the A part of Georgia or The Nearness of You with just two chords.
    But this is no joke, it's seriously atrocious. There is no substitute for knowing a bit of harmony when approaching this kind of material.

What should we call this kind of chord simplification, Ralph...Izzification?

To the original poster who wanted to play this in a way that kids could enjoy and (I think) sing along with, I'd say, have fun and keep it simple.

You could also learn the official chords, if you can find them, and take the time to play it both ways for the kids while they sing the melody. Take a poll on which one they like better.

The Iz ukelele version has touched a lot of people and revived the number; sure, it's an example of chord reduction, but I find it lovely and moving in its own way, even after a few hundred listenings. It makes me wonder where we'd all be if only Iz had tried it on the mandolin...

Jazzers are also no strangers to altering or simplifiying changes to standards, and it's not always resulted in improvement, to my ear. Lots of dimished and augmented chords that were heard in film or Broadway versions have hit the scrap heap over the years because they sound "old-fashioned", and now no one's sure how the original versions of some tunes sounded . I must confess, I too transgress, and will probably continue, as long as there's a book on the stand and we're trying to get through the gig.

You're right Bruce. Jethro's version, which is on the "Tea For One Record as part of a Medley with "When You Wish Upon a Star", is a great example of what Ralph's talking about when it comes to keeping an ear open to harmony. His chord changes are quite different in many places than most jazz and fakebook versions, and to me they really light up the song.

As for the kids, well... play them Homer and Jethro's early King Records rendition, It's atrocious oversimplification at its very best. Corrupt a minor today! It's your civic duty! It goes,..

"Somewhere over the rainbow-ho, way up high;
    There's a land that I heeerd of, onst in a lull-a-buy"
    and so on...

All the best,
    John

I learned it from a music teacher. She helped me transpose it from Bb to C. There are quite a few chords if you choose to play it as written. Beautiful on mandolin.
    I don't have tab to it.

Also,. didn't Don Reno record it at banjo speed?

Bob
    re simmers

E.Y. 'Yip' Harburg and Harold Arlen .. 1938.

I have a C arraignment in a book [ Some ^ Where .. is an octave jump]

[A]
    C Em C7 F Em7 Gdim

Dm Fm6 C A7 D7 G7 C G9

C Em C7 F Em7 Gdim Dm Fm6

C A7 D7 G7 C

[B]
    C G7 C6 C Adim Em G+ Dm G9

C Em C7F Em7 Gdim

Dm Fm6 C A7 D7 G7 C

(transpose key as suits your voice)

Put on the Blacklist in Hollywood, Mr. Harburg shifted his talents to Broadway, NYC, and the theater..
    Last edited by mandroid; Jan-04-2010 at 3:46pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

JR version in G, as I remember.

Not sure if mentioned here, but Barry Mitterhoff plays this in his Wizard of Oz medley on his fine recording Silk City. For some reason, that medley holds up to repeated listening, perhaps due to the 'orchestra' feel it has going on.

Mandocello. I think I have a new favorite insturment.

I knew a dog that, whenever he heard Somewhere Over the Rainbow, started howling like he was singing. He actually knew the tune. It didn't matter if it was Judy Garland, if you whistled it, or whatever; he sang along. I tried singing "Somewhere My Love" from Dr. Zhivago and he did nothing so it wasn't the word "somewhere". It was the tune.

Blog Entries

Nice job Mandobart! Good sounding manodcello -- is that an Eastman?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Nice job Mandobart! Good sounding manodcello -- is that an Eastman?
    Thanks Bernie! Yes it is an Eastman MDC805.

does anyone out there have tab for bob marley's is this love

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnparrott View Post
    What should we call this kind of chord simplification, Ralph...Izzification?

To the original poster who wanted to play this in a way that kids could enjoy and (I think) sing along with, I'd say, have fun and keep it simple.

You could also learn the official chords, if you can find them, and take the time to play it both ways for the kids while they sing the melody. Take a poll on which one they like better.

The Iz ukelele version has touched a lot of people and revived the number; sure, it's an example of chord reduction, but I find it lovely and moving in its own way, even after a few hundred listenings. It makes me wonder where we'd all be if only Iz had tried it on the mandolin...

Jazzers are also no strangers to altering or simplifiying changes to standards, and it's not always resulted in improvement, to my ear. Lots of dimished and augmented chords that were heard in film or Broadway versions have hit the scrap heap over the years because they sound "old-fashioned", and now no one's sure how the original versions of some tunes sounded . I must confess, I too transgress, and will probably continue, as long as there's a book on the stand and we're trying to get through the gig.

You're right Bruce. Jethro's version, which is on the "Tea For One Record as part of a Medley with "When You Wish Upon a Star", is a great example of what Ralph's talking about when it comes to keeping an ear open to harmony. His chord changes are quite different in many places than most jazz and fakebook versions, and to me they really light up the song.

As for the kids, well... play them Homer and Jethro's early King Records rendition, It's atrocious oversimplification at its very best. Corrupt a minor today! It's your civic duty! It goes,..

"Somewhere over the rainbow-ho, way up high;
    There's a land that I heeerd of, onst in a lull-a-buy"
    and so on...

All the best,

It's the playing, this relentless pounding on all strings or courses. Of course, the harmony is determined by this. A common harmonization of the first two bars is Bb, gm, dm, Bb7, but the guitarist plays Bb --- F (not F7, IIRC).
    With a capo at the third fret the dm would require a bm shape for which there is no 6-string cowboy shape.

In bars 5 and 6 of the bridge an undulating sequence of d-f is to be followed by e-g, with the e note outside the Bb major scale. The standard chord would be dim chord; jazzers might apply a ii-V thing possibly with flatted fifths and ninths. Again, there is no comfortable
    cowboy shape so (IIRC, I don't want to hear it again) they play an Eb chord there instead. In other words, they don't even get the melody right.

Perhaps I should elaborate on this example in the next capo thread ...

Evan Marshall does a nice duo-style version of Over the rainbow.