Thread: Wegen pickers - how often do you replace?

Default Wegen pickers - how often do you replace?

If you replace at all, when does one replace a wegen for a new sharp one? I've been using the same white-140 for 3 years now, and it's definitely a bit more rounded, but I'm thinking I might like that.

Default Re: Wegen pickers - how often do you replace?

I got my M150s back in April and there's literally no wear on the one I've been using. I don't think these things ever actually wear down.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

I've been using the 140s for about five years now. I bought a half dozen back then and have given a few away to friends, and I switch around from time to time, but they're still alive and kicking. I prefer them to any other picks I've tried. I've tried Red Bears, but not a a Bluechip yet. The Wegens sound just fine to me.
    awm

Quote Originally Posted by jarombra View Post
    If you replace at all, when does one replace a wegen for a new sharp one? I've been using the same white-140 for 3 years now, and it's definitely a bit more rounded, but I'm thinking I might like that.
    I've been using five Wegens* for about the same time. With gigs I probably get about 20 hrs/week on them. As far as I can tell, if they're changing, they're changing for the better.

*Trimus 250 and 350 (never have warmed up to the 350)
    M 100 and 2/M150s (these see the most action)

FWIW, I had a BC TPR60. Nice pick but too bright for my tastes. It's been out on semi-permanent loan for months now. One of these days I might call it back for another audition tho'.

Was given a three-pack of M150's nine months ago. I started using one and found it to be my favorite mandolin pick ever. I'm still using it. In my excitement to let others know about Wegens, I gave the other two picks away.
    I'm getting back a second mandolin that's been a long time being repaired, so I'll have to buy a three-back to get another M150. This time I'll save two picks since I suppose I'll eventually want to switch to a new one just to see if there's a difference. So far the one I've used for nine months still feels great.

I too am digging the M150s. I keep one with each mando and another in my keychain pick case. Tough little buggers.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I had 8 of the Bluegrass picks,but gave one away to a friend of mine.I constantly change mine over
    & use a different one,mainly to keep the wear on all of them pretty much the same - they are terrific picks. I have a real tortoise shell pick (from re-claimed antique shell),it's ok,but the Wegens are far better (IMHO). I really don't think that the Wegens wear out at all quickly anyway,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jarombra View Post
    The time to replace is when YOU think you should. With your present rate of wear, you can get a three-pack and not have to make this hard decision again for almost a decade.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I have been using a white M140 for over 2 years now. I bought some more, but have given a couple of them away. They are the best if you ask me. The holes allow them to stay put between my fingers and not move around like other picks did. I get a really nice sound from my mandolin using them.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

I have a whole mess of triangular Wegens, from about 1mm up to the big guy @ 5mm(used when I had really a lot of pain in my thumb/wrist; it helped!).
    The oldest ones are definitely getting rounded, but not worn out. I think they are great, and worn/rounded is better.
    And I have bought and ordered several times right from the 'factory'; service from there is pretty fast, and all sizes/colors are in stock.
    Now, the real issue with Wegen's is whether there is any tone difference between black & white!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evanreilly View Post

Now, the real issue with Wegen's is whether there is any tone difference between black & white!!!
    Tone depends more on which side you use.

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evanreilly View Post
    The oldest ones are definitely getting rounded, but not worn out. I think they are great, and worn/rounded is better.
    Well I can vouch for this from first hand experience. I was recently in Asheville, so I sent Mr. Reilly a PM. I had no idea if he would have time / interest in getting together for the two days I was there. Well, coincidence put us right next to each other Saturday afternoon. He was playing at the farmer's market, and we ended up next door having lunch at the Moose Cafe. I didn't have my mando, because I didn't know I would end up there. After we met, he graciously lent me his mando while he was playing guitar (thanks Evan). I took the pic out of the strings and had to ask what model Wegen it was. It apparently used to be a TF 140 (or close) but was actually between a TF 140 and M150 in shape. Played just fine with it. Well, as good as I can anyway. Mine are no where near that worn, so I guess I'm just not pickin' enough!

That's a really long answer for you don't have to replace them until they are too small to be usable or just dust between your fingers. At that point you have achieved mando nirvana. Let's be honest, we'll all lose them long before that.

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

I have some that are three years old with no wear.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I'm thinking that I've been using the same Wegen M 150 from the original pack I got from Acoustic Music Works going on about 8 years now and the pick's still in great shape. It is apparently indestructable, at least short of a 1200 degree blast furnace or 1200 psi superheated steam. Certainly it won't break if you try to flex it...say THAT about a Red Bear at 3.5X the cost!