Thread: An Epiphany!

Default An Epiphany!

or I'm just REALLY slow...

I finally think I figured out some markings in my Branzoli method book that makes everything so much easier! I feel like such an idiot.

My Branzoli is one of the reprints from Elibron...and it's in German...I haven't studied or seriously spoken German in almost 20 years, but since I'm not a 'new' learner, I'm not too worried about all the directions in the text, I can figure it out.

But what has floored me for awhile is some of the markings. Namely the _ (tenuto) and . (staccato) markings on the notes. I was really trying to make a recognizable difference in my playing with those two markings thinking "man, this is pretty hard, what is the reasoning behind this?"

And then it hit me...it's pick direction. . for down and _ for up.

Am I out in left field on this...or did I discover the Rosetta Stone for this edition? There are no 'standard' pick directions in this edition (n/v) marked at all.
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Default Re: An Epiphany!

You might look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenuto

Mad
    MadMarine

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home (wikis are blocked at work).

I'm a violinist/violist by day so I'm familiar with the standard notations, multiple performance practices of similar notations, etc. I'm just not very familiar with mandolin notation yet (and all it's variations!) and since I only get a lesson once or twice a year, I was hoping that my revelation was indeed correct! At least it makes sense to me.
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by KristinEliza View Post
    And then it hit me...it's pick direction. . for down and _ for up.
    Huh? Are you saying that all staccato notes are downstroke and tenuto up? Can you post a scan sample? I will dig out my Branzoli, but honestly am not sure this is correct.

I have quite a few method books that do indicate pick direction and they usually use the same indications as the violin methods would use for bow direction.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

If I can't scan it tonight...I'll notate a sample on my computer and post a pdf. I could tell you the numbers of specific exercises...but I am not at home right now and do not have my Branzoli with me (I know, SHOCKING!)

It makes sense to me...but this is why I am asking! And no, I'm not making the assumption that all staccato notes should be picked with a down stroke, etc.

This is EXACTLY the reason I hate only getting one or two lessons a year!

I also realize that this could be an 'edition thing' as well...I've experienced that many times in the violin world.
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Aha! I found my copy of Branzoli (1899, published By John ChurchCo, in English and Italian). You are correct. They do indicate the strokes thusly:

A dot over a note indicates a downward movement of the pen or plectrum.

A horizontal line over a note indicates an upward stroke of the polectrum

A down and up stroke combined is indicated thus:
    (small downward pointing arrow)
    from page 11 of my edition.

How strange and confusing. I looked further in the book to see iof any of the more advanced music had any indications for staccato or tenuto.

So, for Branzoli, the dot does not mean staccato but just downstroke and the line means upstroke.

Marilynn Mair uses some Branzoli pieces in her modern method but she uses what is now standard notation for pick direction. (page 38)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yeah, there's a lot of variety out there-- and not always welcome.

Guitar pedagogue Matteo Carcassi used one dot for notes to be plucked with the (right hand) index finger, two dots for middle finger, and three for ring-finger. All this, of course, prior to the more recent, p i m a convention. But dots are already in sufficiently frequent use, what with (durational) dotted notes, what with staccato, all of which are rather common occurrences. "The more, the merrier" does not ~quite~ apply here.

So players of plucked instruments have to be on alert for such things. We are still not on the level of standardization that other instrumentalists have already attained.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Thank you Jim!

I didn't think about comparing Mair's Branzoli excerpts...but then again, you never know what kind of editing and interpretation goes into another person's method.

Victor - I can't imagine the dot / pima confusion. My beginning students are confused enough with the difference between a dot beside a note vs. a dot above and below the note!

now...off to practice...correctly!
    KristinEliza

Facebook