Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin players who play guitar???

Default Re: Mandolin players who play guitar???

On guitar I'm playing the acoustic most of the time. A TV moved into the same room with the amps so there are often multiple teenagers in there now (and the D-18 can wander off to another room just like the mandolins). But, I'm equally happy with either the Martin or the Fender.
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

I'm really more a "guitar player who plays the mandolin." Have a '70 Martin D-35, a '94 Fender Strat and a '51 Ephiphone Kent. Have played everything from old timey and bluegrass to rock and blues for the past 43 years.

Bought a Carlson Flatiron A-5 Jr. back in the mid 80's and played it for a while. Then like an idiot I sold it. So, many years later I got the mando bug again and recently purchased an 06 Weber Bighorn. I feel like a teen with a learner's permit behind the wheel of a luxury sports car. I'm taking her over to Bruce Weber to check the set up next week. Nice to live just down the road a stretch from the shop.

I'll never be as good on the mando as I am on guitar but I'm having a heck of a great time learning and participating in the cafe. Happy holidays to everyone!
    Sharon
    o6 Weber Big Horn oval
    70 Martin D-35
    51 Epiphone Kent

I gave my Strat away to my middle son a long time ago...still hold on to my Tele although it rarely gets played. I'm strictly acoustic and switch fairly regularly from my '68 Guild F-30 to my '96 Gibson J-200 and my '08 Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner...this is my pride and joy. It's a 14 fret, rosewood Gibson L-2, circa 1932-34.

Now, after decades of guitar picking I've turned to mandolin. What a joy to be starting over. I feel like a kid again.

Acoustic forever!!! '89 Martin HD-28

Perry

I play whatever I'm in the mood for at the time, usually badly, and almost always just for fun (ie, I'm new to this whole game and am absolutely NOT a pro)...

If I had to choose A or E to play forever at the exclusion of the other, I'd pick acoustic. If I had to pick one instrument to play forever just for me it'd probably be mandolin. If I were to be stranded on a desert isle with my family or friends, I'd probably opt for guitar for more varied vocal accompaniment.

My acoustic guitars are a Guild D-40 (spruce/hog) which is actually a pretty versatile little rascal, though I wish it had a little more low end, and an POJ Applause A/E that's my beater and backup Kayak paddle.

My only functional electric is an entry level G and L ASAT Classic Tele, which is actually a very nice import for the money.

I'd like to have a nice fingerpicker and have been really jonesing for a roundneck resonator, but I think I'll probably upgrade mando or buy hunting stuff for now...
    Chuck

I play both acoustic and electric. I have a Gibson J-45 and a Rickenbacker 325 that I play these days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    I'm a classical guitarist and have owned Ramirez & Alvarez Yairi classical guitars.

The only time I like to play steel string is for Simon & Garfunkel. Paul Simon was an excellent Travis picker, but rarely plays in the old style anymore. I believe that he has had problems with his fingers the last 30 years or so.

I never like to play electric.
    did you have to make any modifications to your kentucky 855

I presently live in CO on a mountain called Eagle Peak in the Sangres.

I wish I could play an electric guitar, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't. I play my 1938 Martin D-28 herringbone when I'm east of the Mississippi and my 1956 Martin D-21 west of the Mississippi. I've had the D-21 since 1959, and it's like an old friend. I really enjoy getting to play guitar on our shows because the "regular" guitar player in our band, Brian Aldridge, is such a great mandolin man; and I love to get the chance to hear him play the mando at every opportunity. RT

I own/play Martin's most versatile model, the D-18v from 1999 (actually I think you have to throw in the HD28v as well). I also own a Martin 1999 00015s which I'm hope to sell towards a 000-28 type guitar. I received a Weber Yellowstone some weeks back, and have barely put it down......
    One day I'll stop all this crazy buyin', practicin', and playin'........course I'll be dead.......

Mando-Newbie

As I'd posted previously, I'm new to the whole mandolin world. I come from a bass player's background (a Fender Geddy Lee Signature J-Bass) who also plays guitar (a Gretsch Electromatic, sort of a Country Gent copy).
    All this is done minus the ring finger on my fretting hand. Makes for some interesting chord inversions on both guit and mandolin.
    Hey, Django could do it with two, so I have no complaint. Course, he could play rings around me.

Acoustic almost all the time now though I have my grandfathers Kalamazoo surf guitar.

Eastman AC710 and Gretsch 6012 Rancher acoustic are my main guitars and when I get the money for all the neck reset and bridge work done my D28 of questionable history will be in my main axe list.

When I am playing the one off gig that I have be loud and plugged in with lots of high volume stage noise I use a Yamaha FG335 with a D-Tar Wavelength.

Acoustic & electric. Main guitar is my 1972 Martin D-28 which I bought new when I got out of the Navy. also fool around with the blues on a Squire Tele' knock-off.
    All the Best
    Michael

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Acoustic. Washburn 125th anniversary parlour guitar.

I enjoy playing guitar about as much as I do mando. I have two Tennessee Flattops made by Mark Taylor in Old Hickory Tennessee, a rosewood and a hog. Great guitars.
    ......Jeff

I don't pick on six strings myself, but I am a rock kinda guy, So I would choose the Gibson Dark fire LP.

Complete with flamed top and flowerpot HS inlay.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I failed to mention that when I'm not playing steel stringed acoustics and electrics I'm playing a classical guitar.

Acoustic. I play a Santa Cruz DM (like their standard D but with mahogony b&s and 18 style appointments) and a rosewood Huss & Dalton OM. Standard series, not the traditional (T-OM). I also have a 1992 Guild D-4NT as a beater/campfire guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    Acoustic. Washburn 125th anniversary parlour guitar.
    The Washburn parlour guitar is one of the nicest guitars I have ever played. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by chordbanger View Post
    The Washburn parlour guitar is one of the nicest guitars I have ever played. Love it!

I have to agree after digging out my #91 anniversary parlor and playing again. The "V" neck takes some getting used to.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chordbanger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poener View Post
    I have to agree after digging out my #91 anniversary parlor and playing again. The "V" neck takes some getting used to.
    Nice to see others like this model too! Mine is no. 7 of 250

I'm more of a guitar player who plays mandolin, although I'm playing way more mandolin currently - only been playing mando for a year. My main acoustic is a Taylor 214, but I have a bunch of electrics: 2003 US Strat, custom made Tele, Gretsch Electromatic, PRS CE22. Unfortunately all of those guitars are gathering dust as I can't stop playing my little Kentucky KM140 mandolin

I also experience that 'playing a giants guitar' when I switch back from mandolin to guitar.
    Bagpipe Music (I promise ... no actual bagpipes!):
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1063977

My two favorite pegheads...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guitar-peg1.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	49103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23loarpeg_horiz1.gif 
Views:	68 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	49104  

formerly OldDirtyTurtle Jason Kindall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Palm View Post
    I play a Koa bodied Taylor K-14ce, and just got a Martin HD-28 lsv with an Adi top from the mandolin store, very nice guitar.

The Taylors action seems high to me when I'm playing up the neck in open tunings. If I can get it set up better, it should be a nice fingerstyle guitar. Anyone else experience this with Taylors?
    My Dad's got a premo Taylor. Can't remember the model. Koa and spruce.

He's primarily a James Taylor style fingerpicker so his is set up with low, low action. It is perfect for fingerstyle. When I flat pick on it is just OK, but he finger picks it and it is beautiful.

The Taylor tone is way different than Martins in my limited experience. Not worse or better, just different. Seems like Martins are more woofy and Taylors more subdued and nuanced.

Acoustic guitar was my start, about 7 yrs old. After my dad passed, I received his 1977 Goya 180 jumbo, BR 160, 1940 Harmony blonde archtop, and a Fender F48, stainless, chromed resonator. My mando is my main stay these days.

I've had many, many guitars:

first serious (I was 12): a used '64 Martin D'18, which I had to sell in grad school, and wish I never had to sell.

Have also had a Taylor (2 variations, a six and a 12); Gibson Hummingbird (circa early 60s); Martin (3 other variations); and a beautiful, symphonic Lowden, which I loved almost as much as that Martin D-18, but not quite (it wasn't my first love) -- and which was stolen, just last year (thieves!), and which I used the insurance dough to bring me to the Mandolin.

Heartbreaking at the time, but all's well that ends well --

No regrets. Because now I also have a beautiful mandolin. I came to the mandolin completely ignorant. I started with a starter (used) Breedlove quartz series, just feeling it out, and replaced the Breedlove just two weeks later (that's how smitten I was with the instrument) with a Collings MT2-O. This site has made my working with it all the more special.

I'm an academic (now). When I was a kid, I had no idea (who does?) what I would become. So, you know, I stopped performing many, many years ago, back when I was twenty-two, and for all sorts of reasons, all of which were very conscious, and none of which I regret, but that said I have never stopped playing or loving the fact of music. I now have three kids — who all have instruments — and I am down now to one main guitar:

A Goodall, GC, Mahogany back, sides, and top. It sings.

and of course I have my new mandolin -- !

I'm so glad to be here.

And thanks to all of you for the fact of this surround --

Go Team --

S
    ___

Breedlove 00
    Collings MT20
    Collings D1
    Huss and Dalton CM-12
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor

"Light dwells within Light."
    —St. Thomas