Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carlo de Filippis recording

Default Carlo de Filippis recording

Years ago my stepmother gave me a couple of LP's of her uncle, Carlo de Filippis playing with The Mandolin & Guitar Society Orchestra of Romantic Instruments. They were recorded some time in the early to mid 50's on RCA and MGM custom record dept's. These records were made for the orchestra and I dont think they were commercally available. The only recording I can find on line is a recording Don Carlo did with Leonard Bernstein of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
    So here is Concert Fantasy on a theme by Hayden, arr. by De Filippis solo by De Filippis.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Carlo de Filippis recording

Thanks, Charley, for posting that mp3. I haven't heard anything by Don Carlo.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

This one was available on the Mandolin & Guitar Society label: Carlo de Filippis, Mandolin.

It looks like he played a Martin style 20.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4b01f0a33dba8_118695n.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	48762  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thats the one. Great work Jim. The other record is "Mandolins & Guitars in Hi Fi " by the RCA custom record dept.
    I will post another sound file soon.
    Charley

Do you have the playlists for both the LPs? Just curious what he played on them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Nice Charley!

Thanks for informing us about Carlo de Filippis and for the mp3!

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks, Charley,
    for me the motive to register and my first reaction on mandolincafé. I like a lot this kind of sharing and I am looking forward for more mp3.
    Margriet

Here is another peice from the MGM record. This is an original composition by Carlo De Filippis titled "souvenir". He plays it as a solo.
    Charley

11. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Here's my info on Carlos & the Bernstein connection. Years ago(50's-60's ?) Bernstein recorded the "Vivaldi Concerto in C for Diverse Instruments (With Mandolins)." The two mandolinists were Giovanni Vicari (my teacher) & Carlo de Filippis.
    I remember Mr. Vicari had a photo in his apartment of the 3 of them together.(Bernstein,Carlo, Vicari). In the photo Mr. Vicari was holding some old Lyre-Style mandolin (he said they loaned it to him for the session) & Carlo was holding a Martin like the one he has on the album cover above. I thought he was holding Mr. Vicari's Martin, but maybe they both used the same model Martin.
    I still have my old lp copy. I like this piece because of the different instruments mixed w/ the Mandolins in the ensemble passages, & all the instruments,including the mandolins, get solo passages sprinkled throughout.

It was recorded on Columbia w/ other Vivaldi pieces. I think I either bought in on CD(or Down loaded from I-Tunes) the re-released version. It has a mess of other stuff Bernstein did of Vivaldi. Maybe the "Four Seasons", but the other pieces are without Mandolins.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

On both of the records it states " C.F. Martin Instruments Used "
    Charley

15. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Thank you all for your interest in Don Carlo's music, Here is one more.
    Mazurka-Concerto by Munier. Carlo De Filippis on mandolin, Andrew Restivo on guitar.
    Charley

17. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Smile Re: Carlo de Filippis recording

Again thanks for posting some other ones. It sounds pure and warm. Some more ?
    Margriet

Nice to find this thread. It sounds like de Filippis was one of the last of that breed of mandolinist, a rough-and-ready virtuoso steeped in Italian tradition. Vicari was another, and it's nice to know the two played together, and great to hear that one of us studied with Vicari. This is on my mind because I've just stumbled upon a wonderful recording of La Cumparsita on Youtube by "Juan Vicari y su Genial Orquesta", made in Uruguay around 1940:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgGLc11DlAM

Also a brief biography of Vicari:

http://www.themtstudio.com/AMOG/A_Ma...ld/Vicari.html

I'd be interested in hearing more of both players, if anyone has more info.

BC

20. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

I have a great LP of Vicari's and now that I have a way to digitize will try to convert. Some nice playing. Many of his orchestra stuff has way too little mandolin on it. His alter ego, Juan, was his way of making a living on multiple levels. There were quite a few older members of the NY Mandolin Orchestra who took lessons from GV.

Barry Mitterhoff was playing a concert in southern Westchester a number of years ago and he played a famous Vicari piece, Migiavacca. A woman came up to him at the end of the concert and told him that her husband used to play that same piece. yes, it was Mrs. Vicari. I think Barry visited her and her son in Long Island. There was some talk of their reissuing some of his recordings, but I have a feeling that it fell by the wayside.

The other one to watch out for is Giovanni Giovale. David Grisman reissued prob most if not all of his recordings on this disc. Highly recommended!!

Also: FMI has a nice page for Sr. Giovale with sheet music and mp3s.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the info, Jim. I didn't realise till now Vicari was a New York player. I know Vicari and Giovale mostly from the Rounder compilation I got on your recommendation a year or so ago. Giovale is really fantastic, in the same tradition but maybe a cut above for sheer virtuosity. Mario de Pietro is another in that league, judging from his one mandolin tune on the Rounder disc. Nice to see the free Giovale downloads available on the FMI site; I will get the Grisman product as well.

Bruce

Giovale only spent a few years over here and moved back to Italy. My friend in Rome has done much research and has been in contact with the Giovale family. There has been some copies of Giovale pieces from a folio he published. Some (I think) are on the FMI site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Yes, Mr. Vicari was an amazing player on all his instruments. Mandolin,Banjo, Guitar. I heard him play Mandola, Mando-cello, & a Greek Bouzoki. I never heard him play Violin, but it was one of his instruments.

His releases are very commercial Italian music, but he was trying to make a living. Hence the Juan Vicari Latin recording and playng for Broadway shows, 'Sound of Music' 'Hello Dolly' etc.. Though to be in the room with him he could play all the dazzling stuff Giovale and the others played, Duo-style, double trills, and a major speed demon. He also loved improvising. He would sink if I couldn't play my part correctly, so he could jam around it, & he'd have to revert to playing his part "straight". There is a book about D'Angelico & D'Aquisto that mentions Mr. Vicari playing Paganini Caprices on Mandolin. I believe it.

I just plain loved my time w/ him as a person as well. Before our lessons we'd have his fresh brewed expresso and talk over the weeks events.(It was sort of the parallel universe to lessons w/ Jethro. He'd say "Get you a cold one,Buddy?" And grab a lite beer from the fridge.)Anyway I could go on & on. I feel lucky to have been his pupil. And Jethro's too.

26. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

I love being able to listen to "Souvenir" and follow it in Neil Gladd's new book. I've done this with a few already but to hear the composer on his own composition is special.

28. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Wow, now that's what I call a thread bump! Eighteen years and a month.
    Charley

30. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post

The music is timeless.

32. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Huh? The date of your first post is Jan-02-2010. That makes the bump 8 years and 4 months. In any case, it might be a record though the Flatiron thread might have you beat.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Brain fart on my part Jim! Sorry about that.
    Charley

No problem, Charley. Welcome to the club!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

I'd like to contribute that in my research I was always surprised by how much camaraderie existed among those mandolinists who were probably stepping on each other's turf, so to speak. (six degrees of separation?) In my research on Pettine, he traveled to Manhattan often and did appear at least once as a soloist on the stage with Di Filippis as conductor of the NYMO ca. early 1930s. At a time when the world was disintegrating from the Great Depression, it is nice to know that they depended on each other for their 'separate' successes.
    Also re Garber's comment about 'multiple' revenue levels, I think today we call them entrepreneurs. ;-)

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    I love being able to listen to "Souvenir" and follow it in Neil Gladd's new book. I've done this with a few already but to hear the composer on his own composition is special.
    I was just going to mention that!