Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your favorite Internet Radio stations here

Default Share your favorite Internet Radio stations here

Inspired by this & this thread -- plus the fact that my wife gave me an internet radio for my home stereo system for Xmas -- I was hoping to start a thread where we can call share our favorite internet radio stations. I started this thread in this forum (Rock, Folk Rock, Roots Rock, Rockabilly) since I am looking for similar programming to that of the late, great, X-Country that was replaced on XM by Sirius's Outlaw Country over a year ago, but feel free to post your favorites here regardless of genre. (When posting, please provide the genre or description of the station, along with a link to its web site.)

So far (since Xmas) I have been listening to the following two stations -- a lot:

Texas Drive, on Live365 (http://www.live365.com/stations/txdrive). At times its programming is quite similar to that of X-Country (alt.country/Americana), and I am really digging it.

I am also happy that I can now listen to KPIG (http://www.kpig.com) in stereo, since it is only available in the Bay Area over the air on a local AM repeater. KPIG's programming is very eclectic and can't be pigeon-holed into a single genre, as illustrated by this morning's fare: Savoy Brown, old Fleetwood Mac ("Oh Well"), Tim O'Brien, Delbert Mcclinton, Guy Clark, Sherry Austin, Lyle Lovett, Colin Linden, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Default Re: Share your favorite Internet Radio stations here

For a nice old time feel (not always mandolinistic), try Sugar in the Gourd.
    Rod Freeland, Berkeley, CA

the only terrestrial radio i listen to anymore is WXPN out of Philly...they have a live stream online, here's the site... http://xpn.org/music-artist/xpn-stream
    they play everything...rock,blues,funk,grass,jazz,classical. .very eclectic..might be the only station other than Sirius that i can hear Zappa on
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Thanks Rod -- I need to expand my OT exposure.

Dan -- cool station, thx. (BTW, KPIG also plays Zappa, and I just did a quick query at live365.com for Zappa, which returned 116 streaming stations that have Zappa in their playlists, including Zappa Radio )
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

A nice mix of rock, bluegrass, jazz, etc.

http://www.wncw.org/index.html
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

For me it's www.bluegrassmix.com
    Bluegrass, newgrass, old time/country & gospel

A few like minded music lovers had told me to chase down Bob Dylan radio and Tom Petty radio, They say it's not them playing, it's just what music influenced them and it's from the '20's and every decade since. Not sure about if it's internet available?
    Live Full, Love Deep

WDVX in Knoxville (www.wdvx.com) is great. Doug in Vermont

Blog Entries

KSIL in Silver City, New Mexico. When I was out there I would listen all the time. They stream on the internet (though its not working presently, has something changed?) and I used to have it on my computer all day every day.

Its real radio with a real DJ. The music is a mixture of all kinds of high lonesome accoustic folkie grassy stuff, and switches around enough that you don't ever get tired of it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well, you could always listen to my show on WVUD.org. I have a regular Tuesday morning 9-11 am Roots music show every week, where I play a mix of bluegrass,classic country and a few other things. We also have great bluegrass, classic country shows on Saturdays, 10 am- 2 pm. Try it, you might like it.
    2001 Gibson Master Model F5 #V70311
    1996 Heiden F-5 #F-023
    2009 Stanley V-5 #44

One of my favorite live BG streaming stations can be found here: http://www.worldwidebluegrass.com/

You can log on and chat live with the DJ and others in the chat room while listening...all have proved to be very nice folks from all over the world. The mix of BG music is very diverse, based on which DJ is driving the bus, but I've heard some great bands and musicians here that I've never encountered before.

Tell 'em Benski sent ya!

Cheers!
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

I do enjoy listening to the Radio via the internet and have recently been listening to RADIO BLUEGRASS INTERNATIONAL. So far they seem to play mostly mainstream bluegrass.

formerly OldDirtyTurtle Jason Kindall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bones12 View Post
    WDVX in Knoxville (www.wdvx.com) is great. Doug in Vermont

YES!

Wow - twice in one I'm saying "I miss Knoxville".

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

I listen to WAMU (Washington DC)'s Bluegrass Country, but the quality is variable. I won't mention the DJs I detest or even dislike, but I will name favourites: Gary Henderson and Dick Spottswood, who started the whole WAMU bluegrass thing back in the 1960's.

Gary is Saturday 0900-1200 eastern US time, I listen at 1400-1700 here in Europe. He plays 4-song sets, with the last quarter of each hour being gospel music. He digs up moldy oldies but plays the latest things also. He's been there so long and they can't get rid of him, he just does what he wants and the devil may care. I hear fabulous stuff and I love his sequencing.

Dick Spottswood is on at noon Sundays eastern, repeated Thursday 1300. He plays "obsolete" music which can be Edison cylinders from 1903 up through the 60's, from both black and white traditions, even some Caribbean. He has tremendous taste and each show is both educational and entertaining. There is nothing on any competing station to equal these guys.

www.hober.com

They play a weird mix of bluegrass, traditional, folk, early jazz, blues, world. Mostly acoustic.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Check out WYEP from Pittsburgh at www.wyep.org for a great station. The Blues and Rhythms Show on Saturday afternoon is followed by Big Town Blues; An American Sampler is followed Roots and Rhythms mix on Sunday; Sunday night is 4 hours of b-g w/The Bluegrass Jam Session leading Traditional Ties. The World Cafe and Thistle and Shamrock each has two slots; a full slot during prime time, and a short slot coming off the overnight.

What makes WYEP so incredible beyond the amazing music is that it is totally community supported. The station is not affiliated with a local university or foundation. They receive zero dollars from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's budget. They raise 100% of their operating and capital budgets from the listening audience through individual membership and local business underwriting. In turn they are major promoters of local music and musicians throughout the region. IMHO, they set the standard of what Public Radio should be all about.

Another WDVX fan. One of the best station's on the planet, imo.

Also, radioparadise.com for a nice eclectic mix.

My five year-old loves beatlesradio.com.

Wolfgang's Vault - not a radio station but offers free live concert streaming of just about everybody - Dylan w/ the Band, Hoyt Axton, Lots of stuff from the Ash Grove, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
    I listen to WAMU (Washington DC)'s Bluegrass Country, but the quality is variable. I won't mention the DJs I detest or even dislike, but I will name favourites: Gary Henderson and Dick Spottswood, who started the whole WAMU bluegrass thing back in the 1960's.

Dick Spottswood is on at noon Sundays eastern, repeated Thursday 1300. He plays "obsolete" music which can be Edison cylinders from 1903 up through the 60's, from both black and white traditions, even some Caribbean. He has tremendous taste and each show is both educational and entertaining. There is nothing on any competing station to equal these guys.
    I'll second that. Spottswood's show used to be on FM before 88.5 went all-talk a few years back and listening to that show each sunday for years was one of the most influential musical experiences of my life. Spottswood literally opened my ears to a world of sounds I never knew about, and his between song discussions of the works and the artists gave it a rich context. There is literally nothing else like his show because there is really not anyone else around with as much expertise. From the wikipedia entry on Mr. Spottswood:

a musicologist and author from Maryland who has cataloged and been responsible for the reissue of many thousands of recordings of vernacular music in the United States. He earned his B.A. from the University of Maryland in 1960, and his Master's degree in Library Science from Catholic University in 1962. The title of his Master's thesis was A catalog of American folk music on commercial recordings at the Library of Congress, 1923-1940 LCCN 77-025591. His masterwork, Ethnic Music on Records: A Discography of Ethnic Recordings Produced in the United States, 1893-1942 (University of Illinois Press, 1990) LCCN 89-020526, is a nine-volume listing of sound recordings by minority groups issued in the U.S. until 1942. He also edited and annotated the 15-volume LP series Folk Music in America for the Library of Congress, and contributed to books including Country Music Sources: A Biblio-Discography of Commercially Recorded Traditional Music LCCN 2002-022360 and Lost Sounds: Blacks and the Birth of the Recording Industry, 1890-1919 LCCN 2003-001102. He is an expert on bluegrass music (having founded Bluegrass Unlimited magazine in 1966) and on the history of recorded ethnic music of the early 20th century generally. Spottswood is a founding member of The Association for Recorded Sound Collections, and was awarded their Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003.

I'd also recommend The Ray Davis Show every day from 3-6. Ray has been a bluegrass DJ for over FIFTY years and it's worth listening to his show just to hear his frequent recollections of old bluegrass musicians whom he worked with and was friends with over the years. Furthermore her has a small treasure trove of performances he has recorded over the years from various places he has MC'ed, including some great Bean Blossom performances from way back and a number of shows broadcast from a used car lot in Baltimore that he used to work at which would routinely get bluegrass acts to play on-site to draw customers. There are a number of amazing Stanley Brothers performances in particular that he has from Johnny's Used Cars that seriously deserve wider release, as well as some great stuff from Charlie Moore and Don Reno. Similarly his archive of recordings that local and regional pickers of note have made in his basement should be issued as a box-set at some point. Just some terrific material there that you won't hear anywhere else.

Ray Davis and Dick Spottswood are probably more responsible for me becoming both a passionate bluegrass fan and pickler as any one bluegrass artists.

In terms of no-bluegrass music... I think that WOXY.com is hands down the best indie rock station on the net. The station's history stretches back over twenty years and includes a prominent reference in Rain Man. They have a live stream featuring full-time DJs and a second, automated stream that plays indie/alternative/underground rock from the late '60s through the early '90s. As a former college radio DJ, the vintage station is like stepping back in time.

Progressive & Eclectic! Steve Sikes-Nova's Avatar

Smile Re: Share your favorite Internet Radio stations here

I have operated my internet radio station since 2003 and have interviewed many a 'star' there (nobody recently, however; just not into the interview thing any more). My 2004-2008 interviews include Sam Bush, John Cowan, Pat Flynn, Mike Marshall, Darol Anger, Jamie Hartford (John's son), Chris Squire, Alan White & Billy Sherwood of Yes, Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), Carl Palmer (ELP) - the list goes on and on.

I play a VERY eclectic mix of music from newgrass to progressive rock with a lot of alt country and indie thrown in.

Steve S-N
    http://www.live365.com/stations/virginiaprograsser
    'Newgrass, Prog & More!' Web Radio
    Over 2,200 Progressive & Eclectic Listeners WorldWide since 2003!
    http://live365.com/stations/virginiaprograsser
    'Tuxedo Cat Sings!' original mando-driven alternative folk-rock
    http://tuxedocatsings.bandcamp.com

www.wnku.org. Live streaming from Northern Kentucky University in Highland Heights, KY.

My favorite when I lived in Cincinnati. On line streaming was not available when I moved away, so I spent about 5 years in exile. When on line streaming became available, it was a homecoming.

R

Since the sad demise of ''Bluegrass Radio.org'' last year,i listen mainly to 'Bluegrassmix' & to '181.FM Front Porch' (Bluegrass). Front Porch has music sites for most genres of music & it's generally pretty good (IMHO),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

In addition to Steve's linked above (which suits my eclectic taste in music quite well), here are a couple other Live365 stations I've been listening to as of late:

Mandozine Radio (which as I type is playing the hypnotic Orleans by the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble)

Mandolin Radio
    ~ Mark Twain

I just patch the sound card from my Computer via an 1/8" TRS to 2 RCA plugs patch cord to an Aux input in my Stereo..

our local community station has an online stream www.coastradio.org/
    last Saturday of the month 11-noon (pacific)a local live show /trollradio revue

Troll , cause we got a bridge ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Has anyone tried Pandora yet? (And I don't mean Radio Free Pandora - you'd need a whomping great antenna and a 3-D radio for that. ) If I understand it correctly, you get to design your own radio station - more or less, depending on what they have available. You give them some parameters, a favorite artist or two, and they find matches , either that artist or someone in the genre. I tried it with BeBop Deluxe - figuring they're just about obscure enough to make this a good test - and after a few "similar" artists (not really - they're pretty unique) they actually found a song by them. I haven't gone back yet because, well, I've already got so much sitting in my "to listen to" pile. But I'd like to hear how it works for others, and also for genres that probably don't get as many requests.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I haven't tried Pandora yet, but I intend to since my inet radio is Pandora-capable.
    ~ Mark Twain