Thread: Faux Frets To A Newly Scooped Extension?

Default Faux Frets To A Newly Scooped Extension?

Is it possible to add faux/flush frets to an after-market scooped extension and stay within the confines of the binding? If so, how is it done? Thanks!

MojoMando

Default Re: Faux Frets To A Newly Scooped Extension?

One way to do it is to scoop the extension leaving a hint of the fret slots and then install silver wire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fake frets2 for post copy.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	49014  
    Gail Hester

Then I guess my next question would be, how deep are the fret slots on a Gibson MM? Will there still be enough of a slot to work with after the scoop has been made? With no experience in such things, I always assumed that the fret slots were only as deep as the tang.

They are probably not deep enough to insert much. They may have to be deepened a bit to facilitate the faux frets. Not a complicated job, but one wants to be very careful when doing this not to damage the binding and not to damage the fingerboard, or damage the top or neck of the instrument with your dremel or router.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Joe, are you saying that you can deepen the slots by free-handing a dremel, or is there a more controlled (safer) way? Thanks!

MojoMando

We can, but then remember how many we do in a week or month. I don't recommend that to just anyone. We also do have guides for the times they are needed. Actually, I don't, but Josh can. The rest of us chose not to do it that way.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

You could take a fine saw and break it off so that you have a 1/2" long saw and saw in the fret slots after removing the fret and deepen it that way. it will move in the slot between the binding end to end and if you are careful you wont hurt the binding. good luck
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

have a pin-striper paint 'em on with metalic silver paint after that thing is scooped!!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

You could take a fine saw and break it off so that you have a 1/2" long saw and saw in the fret slots after removing the fret and deepen it that way.
    I like the mini saw blade idea. Between the dremel and the above suggestion I think it should work. Thanks!

MojoMando

I like the mini saw idea as well but don't seem to be able to find a source. I think StewMac might have offered it at one time, anybody know?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	min fret saw 01.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	49046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini fret saw 02.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	49047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini fret saw 03.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	49048  

Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Stewmac sells them. They call it a "Refret saw". They also have a Fret Slot Cleaning tool that looks like an easy make from an X-acto handle and a reground carving blade. Basically a chisel tip on the end of a curved blade.

Ronnie

Thanks to all so far! That Stew-Mac Refret Saw is just the info I was looking for.

But one last detail... Where do you get the square silver stock for the faux frets?

MojoMando

I don't get it—why go to all the trouble of doing something like this? Seems pointless, but maybe I'm missing something.

And about the whole scooped-fingerboard thing... Okay, if your mando originally had frets there, and you don't want them to get in the way of your pick, fine, you have it scooped. But some mandolins are actually made that way, with a bare, scooped end. Why?

Registered User Gathright Customs's Avatar

Hey Paul Check Out Some Of The Muzzle Loading Rifle Builders Supply They Have Flat Silver Wire For Inlay
    John Gathright

Everytime one pops up that's been scooped, I can't help but think of it as "The Black Tongue" as referenced so much here on the board. It's become a pretty ugly thing to my eye, so I can really understand why the faux fret idea would be so attractive.

However, there are some fine players with vintage mandos out there that have bobbed fretboard extensions. I've gotten used to the look and nothing else gets rid of the clickin' pickin' as well.

Yet, the "great picker" and others somehow have adapted their pick attack and eliminated the click all together without the scoop or bobbing. Much to my surprise, I've even learned to pick over and not into the board, so it can be done well. And the clicking can even be worked into a tune, such as Ricky Shaggs' "I Corinthians 1:18". It's nifty and even on video.

That said, there are some tones that can only be achieved by digging more into the strings, so my old KM-1000 wil get the bob soon.

dan

You could always inlay the "black tongue" that look nice and would be easier than faux frets
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thumbs up Re: Faux Frets To A Newly Scooped Extension?

I agree about inlaying the black tongue...rather than "fake" something that's not there, why not take the opportunity to commission something original to "balance" your headstock inlay - small and subtle can work as well as big and splashy. I think this recent trend of inlaid tongues is very interesting.