Thread: Multi Quote?

Default Multi Quote?

I can't seem to figure out how to do the "multi quote" thing.
    I see quite often where someone will have quotes from more than 1 post in their reply and speak to each of those quotes, all in the same reply.
    I've searched and read the instructions on the "board guidelines" page but I still can't get it.
    Please Help?

Default Re: Multi Quote?

You have to do it manually, open up multiple windows and copy and paste the parts you want. Or just copy and paste the words and manually add the user/quote info. Just make sure the quote (with brackets) and /quote (with brackets) are there at the start and end of each section you want.

At least that's how I do it.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Hmmm? No, you don't. Just to the right of the "Quote" button is the multi-quote icon, with the " on it. You can select up to three messages to quote by clicking on that icon at each message, then click on "Reply" and the selected messages will appear, as if by magic. You can then edit them as you wish, reply to each one separately, correct them for spelling and punctuation (I often do this to save the quotee from further embarassment) - in other words, proceed as before. To multi-quote more than three, you have to repeat the process, but first you have to start your reply. Otherwise the quoted messages stay on your clipboard, which you'll learn if you try to reply to another thread first.

You can do it Jeff's way, especially if you like grunt work but this is easier. What he says about the /quote code instructions is true, though, and I use this mehod occasionally if I want to break up a quoted message which touches on separate issues that I want to address individually. You'll see how these coded instructions look in your message or edit pane. If the posted message doesn't look right, go back and change it. It's the scientific method - observe and adjust.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Thanks for that info. I never knew how to use that. Works great.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Well, silly me, I didn't even notice that multi-quote button was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
    I can't seem to figure out how to do the "multi quote" thing.
    I see quite often where someone will have quotes from more than 1 post in their reply and speak to each of those quotes, all in the same reply.
    I've searched and read the instructions on the "board guidelines" page but I still can't get it.
    Please Help?
    Like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    You have to do it manually, open up multiple windows and copy and paste the parts you want. Or just copy and paste the words and manually add the user/quote info. Just make sure the quote (with brackets) and /quote (with brackets) are there at the start and end of each section you want.
    At least that's how I do it.
    And like this.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Hmmm? No, you don't. Just to the right of the "Quote" button is the multi-quote icon, with the " on it. You can select up to three messages to quote by clicking on that icon at each message, then click on "Reply" and the selected messages will appear, as if by magic. You can then edit them as you wish, reply to each one separately, correct them for spelling and punctuation (I often do this to save the quotee from further embarassment) - in other words, proceed as before. To multi-quote more than three, you have to repeat the process, but first you have to start your reply. Otherwise the quoted messages stay on your clipboard, which you'll learn if you try to reply to another thread first.
    And again like this.
    Thanks Journeybear. You just solved one of lifes mysteries for me.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Well, silly me:
    testing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gerety View Post
    Thanks for that info.
    testing...

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Hmmm? No, you don't.
    Hey, that's pretty slick! I didn't know how to use that either.

Blog Entries

The penguins have been whispering this to you for a long time, you just haven't been hearing it ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I thought that was just the voices in my head...

Blog Entries

A bit of both, I reckon!