Thread: Rich DelGrosso Blues Camp 2009 -- kudos to Scott T. and Will K.

Blog Entries

Default Rich DelGrosso Blues Camp 2009 -- kudos to Scott T. and Will K.

Rene Castro (bluesmandolinman) politely rebuked me for not giving any report back on the Rich DelGrosso workshop I sponsored here in Bloomington last month. Figured I post some photos and share some info.

First off, as always, I feel very fortunate to have sponsors (likewise, good friends) in the mandolin community who help me get these events to completion. You'd think Bloomington Indiana would have some stuff going on between the IU here in town and BeanBlossom 30 minutes down the road, but it ain't true. There are less than a handful of us in south central and central Indiana that put these things on. Plus, when you consider that 75 per cent of my camps include out of towners, some traveling as far away as New York State, maybe there's not much going on period..

Anycase, my deep thanks to Scott Tichenor and Will Kimble for continuing to give me support when I need it (and when I don't even ask for it). Will is my compadre and it's a definite plus to having him around at the events. He helps me keep my head on straight.

Also, Paul Wagoner, the innskeeper at the Grant St. Inn, is first class and has helped me every since I started putting these on with Taterbug. If you've attended any of my things out here, please send a note of appreciation to Paul at the Inn and let him know you'd like to see them continue to support us in these ventures. They're a first rate bunch over there.

The man of the hours was obviously Rich. I had obviously been aware of Rich's body of work before I first met him summer 2008 at the Midwest Mando Fest. Very friendly, personable, had a great time playing with him and Andra Faye. Sat in his workshop and was very impressed by his teaching ability. Given that he's a retired science teacher, the man has the education bag down.

We had a wonderful meet and greet Friday evening, with Rich leading the round circle jam. Saturday was the workshop. Rich makes full use of his time. There was a precious lot of info, good instruction, and tab in his 4 and 1/2 hours.

We had 10 students for the workshop, including the 11 year old Maria Sarah, a music prodigy. Right now voice is her strong suit, but her instrumental abilities are quickly developing.

Saturday evening we had the concert. Myself, JJ Perry, Doc Malone, and Bruce Lockwood opened up with a couple of tunes and then backed Rich up for and hour and 1/2 of blues goodness, culminating in members of the workshop joining us for the last tune.

Rich and I afterwards spent awhile talking about his association with Howard Armstrong (Louie Blouie).

A great, though tiring, time. After this was over, I thought about not doing anymore do to the amount of work. But given a month respite, I'm already starting to come up with ideas for either this year or next. I have a great one in mind, suggested by a friend. We'll see where it goes.

If you attended and want to share, feel free. I thank you for coming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DelGrosso2009small.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	49188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delgrosso05.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	49189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delgrosso06.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	49190  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delgrosso07.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	49191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delgrosso08.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	49192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delgrosso09.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	284.4 KB 
ID:	49193  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rich DelGrosso Blues Camp 2009 -- kudos to Scott T. and Will

a few more. Concerts photos are by friend Tina Hanagan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delgrosso01.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	49194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delgrosso02.jpg 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	49195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delgrosso03.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	49196  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delgrosso04.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	49197  

It looks like Rich is playing one of the new National wood body resonaters. How did it sound? I would like to hear one close up.
    I got to hear Rich a couple of years ago at the Wheeling Blues Festival. I think he was playing an old Gibson A at the time.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

He still has the A. I asked him about bringing the National. It's got a new pickup in it he's been enjoying, plus he flew, so it was one of his two carry on bags.