Thread: 10 Questions for Alison Stephens

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default 10 Questions for Alison Stephens

10 Questions for Alison Stephens
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001169.shtml

Classical mandolinist Alison Stephens drops by for an extended interview with the Mandolin Cafe. Find out why she's in demand for everything from movie soundtracks to concerts and theater work in England.

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. Note that the addition of images, videos, links and other coding is turned OFF for this area.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jan-20-2010 at 10:17am.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 10 Questions for Alison Stephens

What a great article, about one of my favorite mandolin players. I printed out copies for some of my non-computerish musical friends.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Agreed. Very nice interview with incredibly detailed, earnest responses.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Wow. Amazing story. Brava, Alison! What a great read at the end of the day. This cheered me up immensely after reading the depressing tale of the custom-build-gone-bad on the other side of the cafe.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Inspiring stuff indeed - brightened up what was a very grey and stormy day here!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

of the 10 things i'd like to say to alison stephens, the first would be "thank you!" great interview - loved the "very long and tedious journey from sowff' london to north london" reference ... travel documents in order, were they?

- "battersea" bill

Another great interview,thank's Scott..and thank you Alison,What a remarkable lady you are,very inspirational...not just for those of us who have a illness but for everyone..cheers to you..
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Wow! nice article. strength of women shows up again; may she never get cancer again.
    Angel Cruz
    Russ Morin Resonator Ukulele, Coqui Cuatro, RiveraIntruments Cuatro, Manuel Morgado Cuatro, '09 Gypsy Octave Mandolin #110909047, '09 Redline Traveler #36, '82 Flatiron 1N #82081665, Morgan Monroe MMR-2

AS's playing, was just one more reason I enjoyed The Fantastic Mr. Fox!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Great person, great player, great article. Thanks!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

A delightful interview with a delightful and insightful mandolinist of the first order. If I had a question, it would have concerned her being selected to contribute to the soundtrack for "Fantastic Mr. Fox." No doubts about her ability, just her style might not have made her the first choice for a soundtrack that cleaves closer to bluegrass and country music. Still, if you want the best available and she's nearby ... 'nuff said! And I would have liked to learn something about how the music was recorded. I did appreciate the behind-the-scenes glimpse of recording for "Captain Corelli's Mandolin," a film which I had avoided due to poor reviews, but now may have to rent just for the music.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Hi - just thought 'd answer Journeybear's comment about Fantastic Mr Fox.....I have worked with that composer: Alexandre Desplats on several films. He is very much a "classical musician" - he started out life as a classical flautist. He chose me to play on he film as he knew me ad what I do and he is VERY fussy and pedantic (in a good but slightly frustrating way!). The banjo player on that soundtrack is John Paricelli who played first mandolin on Corelli film. John's "day job" is an extremely accomplished an well known jazz guitarist. So John was trying to play those "bluegrassy" bits in a much more bluegrass style and Alxandre came out of the box and told him off and said it was supposed to sound like "bluegrass alla VIVALDI" !! So my more "classical"approach was exactly what he wanted! So, sorry, but a more bluegrassy player was the last thing Alexandre wanted!
    Incidentally, all the recorder players on that score (and there were 4 of them) all come from very classical circles not folk....so it was a deliberate "plan"!

Blog Entries

Thank you so much for that. My goodness - what a resource this Café is!

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I had no quibbles with the music. Indeed, I was quite delighted by it, and was pleasantly surprised to see Alison Stephens' name in the credits - and to even get top billing, considering banjo was featured most prominently. In retrospect, Mr. Desplat's plan worked very nicely, as there was definitely something more than the ordinary about the music - something quite fantastic, in keeping with the overall magical tone of the film.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Sad anniversary for the publication of this interview from 2010. Alison was someone I'd met a few times and she was a wonderful person and a uniquely talented mandolinist. Not 10 months after the interview ran Cancer took her life. Rest in peace.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Alison was an excellent player and a very generous teacher. I regret that I never was fortunate to meet her but we had a few very nice correspondences via email. Before her illness I was trying to get her to come over here to the US. Thanks, Scott, for the remembrance.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Noting today's anniversary of this interview.

18. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

Another feature interview celebrating an anniversary today.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for keeping this great interview in view, keeping Alison Stephens' memory alive.

And as a PSA - I've been having a deuce of a time uploading a photo of Ms Stephens to her wikipedia page - inexplicably lacking one. The photographer of this fine image was kind enough to send me a high quality jpeg. Whatever steps it takes to accomplish this, my efforts have been thwarted. It appears to be a good bit more complex than I'd thought. If someone here familiar with the proper procedure would be kind enough to PM me and instruct me in these arcane methods, I would greatly appreciate it. And so would her legacy. Thank you.