Thread: The Art of Not Selling a Mandolin

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default The Art of Not Selling a Mandolin

From the Music Emporium Blog

A couple of months ago, a customer came in with one of the cleanest Gibson A model mandolins I'd seen. Perfect like the day it first left the factory in 1916. He came in to sell it. I'm always curious why folks decide to sell their instruments, particularly vintage pieces and I make a point of finding out the details before negotiating a deal. Here are some reasons I've heard in no particular order:

- I don't play it anymore. It just sits around gathering dust

- I'm bored with it. I think there's something better out there.

- I need the money (very common these days and always hard to hear)

- My husband/wife (95% the former) says I have too many. One has to go

- Found it at a garage sale and heard they're worth a lot of money

This particular customer gave me the first on the list, gathering dust. I just don't use it anymore, he said, and I feel like someone out there should play it. I gladly negotiated a deal with him, he left with a nice check and I had a fine mandolin to sell, which I promptly did the following day. A nice turnaround and exceptionally quick. I wish they were all that easy. However, this one had an interesting twist.

A couple of days later, the seller came back in the store and rather sheepishly asked if I still had his mandolin. He regretted selling it and asked if I would reverse the deal and return it to him. Uh oh. He explained how he had first acquired the mandolin, some 20 years prior, what he had paid (peanuts) and how fond he was of the memory of that purchase. My heart went out to him and it was with great difficulty that I told him of its sale the previous day. Naturally, he was completely dumbstruck by this news, but there was nothing I could do.

The gentleman who purchased the mandolin was a long-time customer with whom I'd done a lot of business. He'd been looking for just such a piece and happened to walk in the day I was cleaning it up on my bench. He didn't even bat an eye when I gave him the price. It was a very satisfying transaction, not so much for the profit gained but the thrill on the his face when he found the mandolin of his dreams. Clearly not something I was about to undo with a request for the mandolin's return. In the end, the original seller left, quite dejected, and I went back to my business of facilitating matches between buyers and sellers, somewhat sobered by the exchange.

This brings me, rather belatedly, to the point of this article: never sell an instrument unless you absolutely have to. And before you decide to sell a piece out of boredom, do the following first:

1. Change the strings. Fresh strings inject sparkle and life into any instrument, no matter the quality.
    2. Consider having it set up by your local repairman. Poor action can diminish an instrument's musical returns.
    3. Put the instrument away for a few days. A certain day's mood can temporarily dull the enjoyment derived from what has been up to that point a favorite guitar or mandolin.
    4. Have a friend play it. Note his reaction and listen to how it sounds out in front. In short, get a second opinion.

If you still feel like it's time to move on, come on in to the shop. I'll be there to offer a final consult.

Happy picking!

More...
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Art of Not Selling a Mandolin

I know this is generated by a bot, but something had to be said:

Quote Originally Posted by NewsFetcher View Post
    - My husband/wife (95% the former) says I have too many. One has to go
    That HAS to be a typo - should have been 95% the LATTER!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

That is so true. I have only sold one instrument in the whole time I have been playing, the Sobell bouzouki. And while I miss it, I know its in the hands of someone who knows what he has, and is really enjoying it.

I hope it never gets bad enough that I have to sell one of my mandolins, because as far as is humanly possible, I do love them. They each evoke specific memories, and stories could be told about them, and while I have a bad case of MAS, I do not want anything new so badly that I would part with anyting old.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Or I have to sell because a personal emotion that needs not to be discussed.

Despite all the love I have for my instruments, if I have to sell them, I do. Seller's remorse may be a sad thing for that person, but it is not the end of the world. It is also not the actual memory and nostalgia but just representative of it. It is still a thing, granted one that many of us were attached to. it is part of life to acquire and let go, catch and release. Just my 2 cents.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Monster View Post
    Or I have to sell because a personal emotion that needs not to be discussed.
    Then why bring it up?

I'm with you, Jeff, though Jim's argument has much merit. although I've never had to sell an instrument, I imagine it would be very hard because even though they are inanimate objects, I've spent so much time with them, and used them to express such a wide range of emotions - both playing and writing - that I have developed emotional attachments to them.

That said, if there came a time when I had to, I guess I would. But if I did, it would have been after I'd sold just about anything else of value. Also, bear in mind instruments occupy a unique position in one's possessions in that they can be used to make more money, much as anything else one can call a tool. So selling a possession that can make money in order to make money makes that transaction self-defeating, hence low on the list. Fortunately, one upside of being an unmarried non-homeowner without kids is I haven't been in a situation where I had to sell an instrument. Yet.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Despite all the love I have for my instruments, if I have to sell them, I do. Seller's remorse may be a sad thing for that person, but it is not the end of the world. .
    You are correct, of course.

But that mandolin over there is the one I used in my first session in Scotland. And while I was almost nauseous with fright, but I held my own, and even lead on Scarce are Tatties. Two years later, at the same pub in Scotland, I bought the bouzouki I more recently sold.

That one over there I took to Ireland, where in a pub in Galway Bay they asked me to play some Jimmy Martin. I played it on Grafton St in Dublin, busking along side a marionnette that kind of stole the whole show.

This bowlback was lost in a divorce and won back again. That bowlback I got in college at a yard sale, and it was the one I played in my first band. That one was a gift of a girlfriend, more girlfriend than I deserve - she saw me playing it in the music store and bought it behind my back, and when I went there again they told me it was sold. This one I got during my first visit to Nashville. I've played it in Seattle and elsewhere, and when I play it banjos fear me.

This one is associated with the fond memories of the girl that moved to Boston. It was me or Boston and Boston won. This one I bought with a friend since deceased, who played jazz guitar and taught me how to play in 5/4. He told me that someday I will buy the last mandolin I will ever need, and it might as well be now.

Certainly, selling a mandolin would not take away the memories. But it could break my heart to see it go.

And I grant myself that little piece of irrational thought, and hang on to them as long as I can.

The entire staff
    funny....

You all should build a few. Make a few REALLY nice ones and see how much it sucks to sell them. There have been A LOT of violin,cellos and mandolins that I've made that I had to sell,well because that's my job. I helped my brother make an H4 Mandola. When he finished he said he wouldn't sell it for $10K because of the emotional tie and the ton of work it was to make. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not a collector. It's very hard sometimes.

Blog Entries

Two quotes on this conjure different thoughts on the matter

The most pitiful among men is he who turns his dreams into silver and gold.
    - Kahlil Gibran, 1883 - 1931

Wealth stays with us a little moment if at all: only our characters are steadfast, not our gold.
    - Euripides, 484 - 406 BC

Which I'll paraphrase to
    Instruments stays with us a little moment if at all: only our Music is steadfast, not our tools.

These are quite different and capture my feelings as I struggle with buy/sell/trade decisions. Often, the decision is easy. An instrument doesn't fit or feel good in my hands. Other times the deciscion is full of anguish. So far, I've only suffered from sellers remorse one time but it was the right thing to do and the sting has faded. These instruments are hobby tools for me. I don't earn a living building or playing them (thank goodness!). I have one that I know I'll never sell (I hope) as I feel it is my voice. I hope to one day give it to one of my kids or someone whom I similarly love.

I don't have tons of money tied up in instruments. I know that is a relative statment. Compared to ongoing costs of other hobbies (Golf, bass fishing, skiing, equestrian) I have an initial cost and very low maintenance costs (strings and set ups). That alone will likely keep me holding onto my modest stable, which I'm not really looking to add too (for now ).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

I can't imagine. All the attention given to the instrument over the course of its build. But it is all part of it.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Two quotes on this conjure different thoughts on the matter

The most pitiful among men is he who turns his dreams into silver and gold.
    - Kahlil Gibran, 1883 - 1931

Wealth stays with us a little moment if at all: only our characters are steadfast, not our gold.
    - Euripides, 484 - 406 BC

Which I'll paraphrase to
    Instruments stays with us a little moment if at all: only our Music is steadfast, not our tools.

These are quite different and capture my feelings as I struggle with buy/sell/trade decisions. Often, the decision is easy. An instrument doesn't fit or feel good in my hands. Other times the deciscion is full of anguish. So far, I've only suffered from sellers remorse one time but it was the right thing to do and the sting has faded. These instruments are hobby tools for me. I don't earn a living building or playing them (thank goodness!). I have one that I know I'll never sell (I hope) as I feel it is my voice. I hope to one day give it to one of my kids or someone whom I similarly love.

I don't have tons of money tied up in instruments. I know that is a relative statment. Compared to ongoing costs of other hobbies (Golf, bass fishing, skiing, equestrian) I have an initial cost and very low maintenance costs (strings and set ups). That alone will likely keep me holding onto my modest stable, which I'm not really looking to add too (for now ).

Jamie
    Sorta like cats; you never really own them. Maybe rent them for awhile, but you don't own them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Compared to ongoing costs of other hobbies (Golf, bass fishing, skiing, equestrian) I have an initial cost and very low maintenance costs (strings and set ups).
    Thats why I chose mandolin over auto racing, and the way I figure it, I am financially way ahead of the game.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Perhaps the story of my mandola is germane to this thread. In the mid-80s I learned about the mandola, and the notion of being able to instantly transform a song by a fifth without having to allter the fingerings enchanted me - me and my limited vocal range. One day when visiting my luthier I noticed a 1916 H-2 hanging on the wall, which was for sale on consignment. It just so happened I had recently gotten my tax return, so the $850 price was within reach. I happened to know the seller, and as my luthier informed me, he was in a tight spot financially. He had a short time to make escrow or lose his house, so he had to sell some instruments. This actually was the better of his two mandolas, but the other was part of a matched set of mandolin, mandola, and mandocello, so that's how he decided to sell this one. This was my first instrument with antique value - well, I had started nearly twenty years before with a plain A pumpkin, the value of which I was ignorant, callow youth that I was - and was amazed by its deep rich sound and resounding resonance. I have taken pains to treat it kindly, and it has served me well over the years. I understand how the seller was forced to part with this and other of his assets, and as I said earlier, my lack of encumbrance allows me to be more flexible. But I appreciate how his misfortune led to my fortune, and have always kept him in mind and honor him by keeping his instrument in play.