Thread: Pickett mandolin<Does any one know anything about them?

Question Pickett mandolin<Does any one know anything about them?

I posted this a few month ago and I would like to thank those of you who replied. I purchased this mandolin from a WWII vet about a year and a half ago in Dallas . He told me a friend of his ,who made mandolins and violins off and on made it for him . I payed him $800 for a 1967 Gibson Dove (all the dove needed was a neck reset) and this mandolin. He said his friends name was Jimmy Pickett who happened to be in the war with him. The label inside says James H. Pickett October 1988 and the neck block says f-55 october 1988.It has a birdseye maple back and has a great "woody" tone and is extremly loud ! I took it to a local guitar shop in Dallas and they never heard of him but said It was made of all solid woods and looks to be hand made. I am just wondering if anyone knows any more info or if Mr.Pickett made anymore mandolins I could look at. Also ,The strap in the pictures was made and given to me by my very good friend Christian Brooks from oak cliff,TX . He is known for making the SRV strap for his friend Stevie Ray Vaughn. And he is still making straps and all kinds of goodies out of leather in Dallas . Thanks, Coop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LL%20tour%20and%20mandolin%20pics%20098.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	49821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LL%20tour%20and%20mandolin%20pics%20101.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	49822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LL%20tour%20and%20mandolin%20pics%20102.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	49823  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LL%20tour%20and%20mandolin%20pics%20104.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	49824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LL%20tour%20and%20mandolin%20pics%20106.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	49825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LL%20tour%20and%20mandolin%20pics%20109.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	49826  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pickett mandolin<Does any one know anything about them?

While I don't know anything about the builder, he did some nice work. Love the back.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Yes , you are right ! This guy really did great work . Ive not seen many mandolins with birdseye.

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Love the back.
    Yes indeed.

I have a viola made by Mr. Pickett the same year. I am related to him but know very little about him. I am trying to find out what I can. I believe he is a Great Uncle. My Grandmother (from Denton, TX) asked him to make me a viola while I was in middle school or high school orchestra. I was told he mainly made violins and this was his first viola. I'm not sure if he made others later. I included a few photos of my viola.

I will respond back with any additional details I find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	645.6 KB 
ID:	189197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	189198  

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to descue For This Useful Post:

From , "The Violin Makers of the United States", by T.J. Wenberg:

Pickett, James H.; Woodville, TX. 1934-(printed in 1986). Born in Houston, TX, Worked for Control Data Corp. doing field work. Retired in Woodville in 1985. Started making and repairing violins while in Richmond, VA. Established own shop in 1985. Strad model, uses a lacquer finish. Has made 5 violins 1 viola, 1 guitar, AND...1 mandolin.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luthier88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luthier88 View Post
    Hah, you beat me to it!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

OK then, a 10 year old thread. Every thread with the word Pickett in it on the Cafe is here.

He did nice work and we know where the one viola and that one mandolin are. That's really pretty cool.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

11. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Some Pickett guitar information might be found here on the UMGF Not sure if that's right or not. Descue might know.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Some Pickett guitar information might be found here on the UMGF Not sure if that's right or not. Descue might know.
    Different Pickett. Wenberg lists him, Howard Pickett, from Heidelberg, Mississippi, 1912-1983. Mostly Classical guitars, 12 violins.

This is great information, thank you very much! I am doing some asking around to see what other information I can find. Would have liked to have found that he made a 15.5" viola, the one I have is 14", but still very pleased to find out more about my great uncle. Who knows maybe we will find a family member still makes instruments.

I am having my viola restrung and serviced now, I will share a better photo once I get it back. Thanks again friendly internet people!

Quote Originally Posted by luthier88 View Post

Pickett, James H.; Woodville, TX. 1934-(printed in 1986). Born in Houston, TX, Worked for Control Data Corp. doing field work. Retired in Woodville in 1985. Started making and repairing violins while in Richmond, VA. Established own shop in 1985. Strad model, uses a lacquer finish. Has made 5 violins 1 viola, 1 guitar, AND...1 mandolin.

14" viola? That is the size of a violin and would be considered the equivalent of a 3/4 violin, I would guess. You were probably much younger than high school. 15.5" is considered to be on the small size for an adult viola.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I believe a 14" viola = 4/4 violin but yes, it was before high school, probably 8th grade but I continued to use it through high school. Guess I will use it as a practice instrument until I decide if I want to make a larger investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    14" viola? That is the size of a violin and would be considered the equivalent of a 3/4 violin, I would guess. You were probably much younger than high school. 15.5" is considered to be on the small size for an adult viola.

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    I posted this a few month ago and I would like to thank those of you who replied. I purchased this mandolin from a WWII vet about a year and a half ago in Dallas . He told me a friend of his ,who made mandolins and violins off and on made it for him . I payed him $800 for a 1967 Gibson Dove (all the dove needed was a neck reset) and this mandolin. He said his friends name was Jimmy Pickett who happened to be in the war with him. The label inside says James H. Pickett October 1988 and the neck block says f-55 october 1988.It has a birdseye maple back and has a great "woody" tone and is extremly loud ! I took it to a local guitar shop in Dallas and they never heard of him but said It was made of all solid woods and looks to be hand made. I am just wondering if anyone knows any more info or if Mr.Pickett made anymore mandolins I could look at. Also ,The strap in the pictures was made and given to me by my very good friend Christian Brooks from oak cliff,TX . He is known for making the SRV strap for his friend Stevie Ray Vaughn. And he is still making straps and all kinds of goodies out of leather in Dallas . Thanks, Coop
    I used to attend the Woodville Harvest Festival every year in October. Mr Pickett always came to that festival with his latest instruments and I would play them for weekend. I also visited his shop where he showed me how he hand carved each top. He was a wonderful man and I fell in love with his instruments! I could not afford one of his instruments at the time, as I was a beginning teacher and I did not have the extra cash. He always charged $900 for an A model and $1,200 for an F model, case included. Would you be interested in selling your mandolin?

Every now and then I have to remind myself how amazing the Cafe is. Congrats to all sleuths out there who found so much info.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM