Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue chip picks

Default Re: Blue chip picks

As always...

If you like T-shell (but can't get one, or you subscribe to the endangered tortoise theory)...

Get your kicks with [URL="http://www.wegenpicks.com/"]Wegen Picks[/URL].

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoist View Post
    As always...

If you like T-shell (but can't get one, or you subscribe to the endangered tortoise theory)...

:
    There are lots of new pick materials and shapes these days that compete in sound and playability with T. And most of them don't wear out anywhere as fast as T does.

These days it is quite reasonable to prefer something other than T.

To my ear and the way I play, the Red Bear Tortis plays and sounds just like T. BCs are a very close second.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The endangered species list is hardly a theory.

[QUOTE=Mandoist;767557]As always...
    or you subscribe to the endangered tortoise theory)...

There is no "theory" about it. The Hawksbill Turtle is critically endangered from both unsustainable fishing practices and being harvested for it's carapace (i.e., shell) to make all kinds of little trinkets, including guitar/mandolin picks.

Here's a link to NOAA with more information on Hawksbill Turtles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    To my ear and the way I play, the Red Bear Tortis plays and sounds just like T.
    This.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

CowbellMaster
    rt. 12 third tree on the left, Linden, Mo

I was going to get one, however i thought it would be smart to take my girlfriend to dinner. That's right i ate my pick.
    " You need to back that thing up"
    -sticker on my mando case

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    I was going to get one, however i thought it would be smart to take my girlfriend to dinner. That's right i ate my pick.
    See, that's where you went wrong. You've got your priorities all out of whack.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    Taking the girlfriend to dinner is always a good idea, don't get me wrong. But the direct benefits are on the occation, and the lasting benefits are not in taking the girlfriend out to dinner, but in the habit of taking her out to dinner.

The pick on the other hand will provide benefits at no additional cost for as long as it lasts, and it will last much longer than your mandolin, with less maintenance.

On the other other hand, when it comes to love, logic is just the gasoline thrown on the flames of emotion, so you are all on your own as to your decision.

Happy Valentines Day all. Here's hoping we don't get what we deserve.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

If I took my girlfriend out to dinner, I would expect her to return the favor by buying me a Blue Chip Pick.

CowbellMaster
    rt. 12 third tree on the left, Linden, Mo

Loved the responeses. The fact is that i lose so many picks i'm afraid i would be a bit neurotic ( no spell check here) and obsessed with keeping track of them.
    Just thinking there are some super people here. Has there ever been a Mandolin Cafe convention. Just imagine the great times and stories that would come from it.
    Sleepy
    " You need to back that thing up"
    -sticker on my mando case

Also keep in mind that girlfriends come and go, a Blue Chip pick lasts forever.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gerety View Post
    Also keep in mind that girlfriends come and go, a Blue Chip pick lasts forever.
    Also that a girlfriend can lose her bevel over time and become "dull" sounding. Not true for a Blue Chip.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Also, sometimes it's easier for a girlfriend to slip out of your grasp. Especially if you play a lot.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

I used to think that a $35 pick would be foolish, since I can never find my picks, and I'd probably lose it, etc... but you learn to keep REALLY good track of a $35 pick.

Just ordered my third. I have a TPR 60 for mandolin and a TD 50 for guitar. I rounded one of the points on the TPR 60, and that rounded point works pretty well for tremolo, but it certainly lacks tone when picking overall... problem is, I always find myself on the rounded point, and it goofs me up! I just ordered the Chris Thile Sig 55 pick... we'll see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Picks, like underwear, are a very personal thing. Sometimes you just have to try boxers to see if they are better than briefs ...
    LOL!

(Anyone out there play commando?)
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    I used to think that a $35 pick would be foolish, since I can never find my picks, and I'd probably lose it, etc... but you learn to keep REALLY good track of a $35 pick.

Just ordered my third. I have a TPR 60 for mandolin and a TD 50 for guitar. I rounded one of the points on the TPR 60, and that rounded point works pretty well for tremolo, but it certainly lacks tone when picking overall... problem is, I always find myself on the rounded point, and it goofs me up! I just ordered the Chris Thile Sig 55 pick... we'll see how that works.
    You rounded a point? I thought these were indestructible. You must be superman.

I keep reading how the BC is grippy and doesn't slide around. That was probably the main reason I bought one. I've found the opposite. I have trouble hangin' onto the thing---or at least keeping it where I want it.
    I even took it to the drill press and drilled holes in it like a Wegen.
    If I wash my fingers and the BC with dish soap then it grips really well but as soon as I get nervous or sweat a bit, it's like hanging onto a wet bar of soap.
    Maybe just the way I'm made? Or most likely my technique sucks.

Registered Pontificator Roger Kunkel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishtownmike View Post
    I was thinking of getting one but then opted out. I need more proof. How about everyone who owns one record a clip with out the blue chip and then with. I would like to hear if there is a difference between your previous choice of pick and the blue chip...Mike
    For $35 I'll do that for you!

It's more than the sound, though. It's a very fast smooth pick. I really think I play better with it. Great for clean fast picking. Not necessary the best sounding pick I own, but good.

Rooster,
    Wash it with a little dish washing liquid and water, dry and your good to go
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Rooster - if you were having problems with the pick moving around before the BC then I bet dollars to donuts you could improve your grip technique. I had a lot of problems like that until I made the commitment and changed the way I grip the pick. It was a hard adjustment, but it made all the difference.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Has anyone tried the new (insert name of new super wonder pick here). I wonder how long it will be before we are reading a new thread like this. Will the same people be making the same ravings about the new pick like they did their previous wonderful blue chips and the wegens and red bears before that. I think a lot of it is in your head. David Grisman mentioned how expensive violin bows can be and that he wished someone made a $500.00 pick just so he could brag he a had a $500.00 pick.

David Grisman mentioned how expensive violin bows can be and that he wished someone made a $500.00 pick just so he could brag he a had a $500.00 pick.
    What is his e-mail address? I would be more than happy to make him a $500 pick!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I remember when a certain new violin string came out, and several of the good local players I new were using them and raving about them. A year or two later another expensive string came out, totally opposite sound IMO, and everybody switched and swore by them.

However, as an impartial observer (I have not yet tried a Blue Chip) I don't know when I've seen the sort of devotion that people are showing these picks--there must be something there, whether I will like them or not.

Has anyone tried the new (insert name of new super wonder pick here). I wonder how long it will be before we are reading a new thread like this. Will the same people be making the same ravings about the new pick like they did their previous wonderful blue chips and the wegens and red bears before that. I think a lot of it is in your head. David Grisman mentioned how expensive violin bows can be and that he wished someone made a $500.00 pick just so he could brag he a had a $500.00 pick.
    You know, I was skeptical about super wonder picks up to a couple weeks ago when I bought my first Wegen, purely out of curiosity. I figured that super-wonder picks were probably a psychological thing – plastic's plastic, right? – but, surprisingly, the Wegen really does do things better than the picks I've been accustomed to. Makes me wonder if $35 for a Bluechip might be worth it. Of course, they let me try the Wegen in the shop before I bought it, whereas the Bluechip feels a little more like buying a pig in a poke.

Nah, it's more like buying a pick in a plastic bag. But I think Matthew still has a money back guarantee if you don't chew on the thing, so if that's the case, there's really not a big risk, except for shipping...and that's like a McDonald's extra value meal.