Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Brian Dean "German" Model

Default Introducing the Brian Dean "German" Model

Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to introduce to you my new mandolin by Brian Dean. As you can see from the photos he has done a marvelous job. I'm looking forward to receiving the instrument on February 25th. Watch this space for more details:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	50199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	50200  

Default Re: Introducing the Brian Dean "German" Model

And more.....

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	50201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	50202  

And more....

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	50203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	50204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	50205  

Blog Entries

Ohhh yummy. And it sounds great I imagine.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thumbs up Re: Introducing the Brian Dean "German" Model

Absolutely Beautiful. Can't wait to see it up close!! Brian did an amazing job.

Ah, Chris, congratulations. Brian sent me some pics of this beauty but I didn't know who the lucky recipient was.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

That's real nice, Chris, the fluted ribs look great. I didn't know you were going for the German tone...or is this so you you have an expanded palette? Love to hear it!

Hope you're keepin' okay,

Travis

p.s. I was in the Trinity studio with Emily the other day and your name came up. Ollie (the guy that looks like Tin Tin) was curious if Mart off of 'Letters from London' came from a session you did with him.

For those that haven't had the pleasure, grab a copy, great stuff!

Sorry, shameless plug over...

Wow!!
    I can't wait to hear some samples.

Oh no, not another bout of MAS...................
    Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

Congrats with your new mandolin, Chris. And congrats to Brian also for building yet another fine mandolin.

Blog Entries

Brian's really hitting his stride, me thinks. That's a beauty for sure (with a voice to match no doubt). Looking forward to clips.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Gorgeous!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Congratulations to both the brilliant luthier and the lucky owner!

So, Chris... having been collaborating with a bass player, you must have felt awfully, ah... slender, right?

Lovely instrument. I can't wait to hear it. Audio clips coming?

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Hello,

Travis - Yes, the recording of Mart was done by Ollie. However I had it completely remastered for the CD. Cheers for the plug. Always welcome. Quick answer to your question - yes, returning to German style.

To all - Audio/Video clips will follow but will need a couple of weeks to get use to instrument. I will probably record Mary Had a Little Lamb and Ba Ba Black Sheep. lol.

Beautiful Chris,
    Can't wait to hear it!

Bloody gorgeous. LOVE the French polish. Of course it will be a great instrument... but can we all stop and reflect for a moment that the same guy makes this, the Embergher 5-bis and orchestral, my Grand Concert, the L&H, and even the odd Florentine, and all of them are world class. Does anybody know, has there ever been anyone like this?

Btw Chris, I asked Brian what polish works best on his varnishes, and he recommended Meguiar's #7 -- which I also use on my car. It works great, gets it all nice and show room shiny!

Wow! What an introduction. Congratulations to both Chris and Brian on such a beautiful innstrument. I add my voice to the chorus asking for sound clips at Chris' earliest convienence.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

beautiful...mr.dean has done it again...Congratulations to both of you..
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Acquavella, thanks very much for sharing these photos. I see there are a couple of really big photos over at Brian's labraid website too. Maybe you or Brian (or the both of you) could bring one of these models to the CMSA convention next fall in Seattle?

John G.

Chris, this looks like a real beauty... the first time I've seen a "German Style" mandolin that wasn't made in Germany and what a work of art.... very jealous congratulations to you.

I know that when Barbara got her Knorr ("La Gioiosa") a couple of years ago, her face just lit up when she played the open string. I'm sure your reaction will be the same with this lovely instrument from Brain (congratulations Brian).

I'm guessing from looking at the larger picture on Brians web page that you've gone for the "established german combination of strings" i.e. Thomastic on the GDA and Hannabach on the E ?? (i could be wrong, it has been known)

....and maybe a wolle pick?

Anyway congratulations to you both... will this mando be a serious challenge to the Knorr....? will Barbara, oops sorry..Will I have to save my money to get Barbara one ? (she never buys mandolins herself!).... will Ali Stephens be tempted to join the German Bowlback team

i look forward to hearing the sound

best wishes
    ian

www.mandolinscotland.org
    www.banjomandolinguitar.org

Beautiful instrument!
    Bravo Brian!
    Waiting for sound clips.

[QUOTE=Acquavella;768157

yes, returning to German style. ]

my question is : WHY ? What does attract you in the German style ?

I am quite new on cafe and I do not know where to put this question. I posted it on the thread of "Teutonic tube or Deutschland discs".

Hi Margriet,

One of the main factors for me is the over all tone of the instrument and the playability of the technique. With the German style the mandolin is centered to the body and supported with the legs. I have been playing/teaching a lot of classical guitar so I find that the German style is a closer bridge between the two worlds. Mostly, though, my personal taste has changed to that sound and the darker/fuller sound fits with my immediate audience. San Diego is very classical guitar oriented so the Seiffert tone fits our musical climate. I seem to go back and forth every 5 years or so. The last time I played in the German style was in my 3rd year at Trinity. (2004) Give me another 5 years I'll probably switch back to the Italian school. (depending on my MAS at the time) lol. I should clarify that I still play in the Italian style with my Embergher, which I still use for most orchestral work. For the last year I have been sitting German style with my NeoClassical. I don't sit German style when I have an Irish or Bluegrass gig. I rock out pure American style.

My best advise is to try different styles/techniques with your teacher and see which best suits your body and comfortability. Throughout my education I have listened to many teachers/performers that I have come into contact with. I've tried to take something learned from each teacher and apply it to my playing. There is something to learn from anyone who is passionate about the mandolin. For some of my students, the German form works best for their body structure and comfort level. Other students are very comfortable in the Italian style. Other students have a mixture of styles because something from each genre can be used to accomplish the best sound. Hope this helps and hasn't confused you at all. Best wishes,

Chris...
    Last edited by Acquavella; Feb-16-2010 at 2:17pm. Reason: chris is rubbish at typing..

Thank you Chris, for your explanation about your choice.
    It is not confusing me, do not worry.

I am trying to work with the sound, which I like - and need - to do when I want to play music. The technique is a tool, to get the music played like I should like to hear it.
    I have not the luxury of years of experience and different teachers. I am on my way in mandolinland, now two years and have enough challenges. I did already switch of plectrum one time, switched of mandolin(s), time for me to go more deeply rather than spread. (vertically versus horizontally, I hope I can say it clear enough in english).

I am just curious and interested in the drive and choices of other people. And of course in the mandolin in all her facets!

Having no first-hand experience in New-German-School instruments, I could not possibly offer any comment on this. The only thing I can say is that I have always exhibited all the traits of perfect schizophrenia. In other words, while I play the largest of string instruments for a living, I totally "shift gears" to play the mandolin, one of the smallest. While I found the mandolin lying around, like some sort of native creature --springtime's lady-bug, in daisy-strewn Greece?-- humming around my family circles since early childhood, the first instrument I actually studied, by default, was the (classical) guitar. Still, apples and oranges; I never felt any "tranferable" experiences between the guitar and the mandolin-- and in this, of course, many, wonderfully expert musicians will surely disagree. All I am hooked on is the sound of the mandolin, and that is Italian(ate), bronze-strung, and chirpy; not "better", but just... re ipsa, what something IS (for me).

Perhaps I'm plain nuts...

Cheers to one and all. Enjoy your mandolin(s), al gusto.

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)