Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clip-on Tuner?

Default Clip-on Tuner?

I was just sitting here tuning and am awful close to throwing a tantrum.
    I've got 3 different clip on tuners plus a regular old "set it on the arm of your chair" type. They're driving me crazy! The old style one is so sensitive to any other noise that I find it a pain to use. The clip-on ones all behave so much differently. One is a Korg AW2 (jumps all over the place but is useable although it doesn't work well on the A strings), another is the Intelli IMT900 (slow as molasses and doesn't seem real consistant) and the other is a Solutions ST23(faster than the IMT900 to react but you have to let it settle back to the bottom of the scale between every note or it will give the same reading as the last note even if you've changed pitch).
    I just had all 3 of the clip-ons attached at the same time and very rarely did they all agree.
    There's got to be a better way? I've heard of strobe tuners but have also heard they are expensive.
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Clip-on Tuner?

Ears.
    Oops! Did I say that out loud?
    Once upon a time: fiddle, mandolin, OM, banjo, guitar, flute, whistle, beer

Seriously, I recently got one of these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ner?sku=501781

and I like it a lot. It's small enough to easily fit in the pocket of a shaped mandolin case--hey it's so small sometimes I just leave it on the peghead, in the case. I bought mine at a local music store, not Musician's Friend. NFI, just a happy customer. No frills, but it's accurate, quick, and easy to read (even in low lighting).
    Oops! Did I say that out loud?
    Once upon a time: fiddle, mandolin, OM, banjo, guitar, flute, whistle, beer

4. The following members say thank you to Miss Lonelyhearts for this post:

Mac22 

Thanks Miss Lonelyhearts. I'm comfortable tuning a banjo using my ears but for whatever reason beside being fairly new to the mandolin, I just make a mess of it by ear.
    I viewed the link you posted and I'll watch for one of those.
    I suppose Wintergrass would be a good opportunity to check out some tuners.

Blog Entries

I find most of the clip ons don't have enough resolution to tune both strings in a course together. Tune one with the tuner. Make sure the fifth to the course below sounds right. Tune the other string in the course to the first one you tuned. My new little Intellitouch seems to have better resolution and is much faster than the originals.

The best resolution is with my Korg Tuner/Metronome but it is no good for sessions.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

I use Intelli-500s which looks the same as your IMT-900. they may not be the same I don't know because mine (I have 2 of them) tune up very fast.

One thing you have to remember with any tuner you still have to use ears a little bit at least I do anyway's.

I usually start with the A string. Just one A string. I'll hit it and then tune UP to the other A string by ear like GRW3 already said.

Then next I tune the E string the same way, one string by tuner and then tune up to the second one by ear. Now after getting the A and E tunes I double check it all by hitting the open A string and E on 5th fret and make any adjustments that are necessary always making sure I tune "up" to the note not "down."

Then I do G and D the same way. So half the strings you tune by ear so some might say why use a tuner at all. Well for me anyway's the tuner sets your A string and then tune all the other strings to that A string using the tuner with the others as well and your ears fine tune it.

And it's always good to check around you when you have your A set whether your in a band or at a jam to make sure you all have the same A or at least those sitting in your proximity if you are at a jam.

I have never found any tuner clip on or otherwise that I could just tune up via the tuner and not have to make any adjustments.

There are other things I do to make sure I am in as perfect a tuning as I can. Hit 7th fret and next string open or check with chords like open G and E fretted at 3rd fret or G string fretted at 2nd fret and open A.

Mainly what I look for is a tuner that will let me tune up in a dimly light semi noisy environment like a gig or jam. Don't know why yours is slow. Maybe it is defective? One thing to remember that different head stocks have different densities of wood and sometimes when a clip on is not responding right you just have to move it a little.

It probably takes me 30-45 seconds to tune under ideal condition more if the temps are extreme (like now with all the snow and cold! LOL).

I started tuning everything off the A string when I first heard and orchestra tune up. If you ever listen to one tune up someone will hit and A and everyone will tune up to it and then everyone tunes all the rest of their strings to that A.

So I guess I use the tuner to get the A right and then tune all other string to that A all the while using the tuner to help along the way.

The strobe tuners are more accurate but as you said way more expensive. They are great at home or at a studio but pretty much useless (to me anyway's) at a jam or gig where I need fast more.

It would be almost impossible to tune up and then check with multiple tuners and all check out perfect. I'd get one tuner that works the best and toss the others in a drawer and just figure out all the peculiarities of that tuner.

Well DANG didn't mean to write a book about this! LOL!

I've also had very positive results with the Intelli 500, both at home and during shows.

jim_n_virginia; Glad you wrote that book. That's all advice I probably need to follow. I don't trust my ear to tune the second string in a course to the first. Once they get real close, it gets to where my ear/brain can't tell which one is higher or lower. A tuner will show a difference that is opposite to what I hear. I know that sounds weird. Maybe dropped on my head too many times as a kid?

I just use a Korg CA-30 or CA-40 chromatic tuner with a mic clip. Works for me. I never liked those all-in-one clip ons. I had one for some time. It doesn't work so well for my bowlbacks since some have odd-shaped pegheads.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I love my Sabine Zoid Z-1000

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Peterson has a clip on strobe tuner coming out in April that I think should change everything. Can't wait. The clipons available now have too wide of a range and just aren't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Mando Mike View Post
    Peterson has a clip on strobe tuner coming out in April that I think should change everything. Can't wait. .

Hope it's better (and cheaper) than the Stroboflip!

Man seriously if someone would just make a accurate clip on tuner that works in noisy environments that has a nice strong back light thats easy to read and see in dim light that doesn't cost an arm and a leg they would sell a million of them!

I use the same method as Jim above, starting with the A strings, then E, etc. Except after I finish with the D strings, I go back and check the A and E again because changing the pressure of the G and D strings on the bridge can affect the A and E strings. Often the A, especially, needs another tweaking.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

Have bought, been given, or been loaned five types of clip ons. For me the Intelli 500 works the best, no contest.

Like someone else, I use the Korg CA30 with a clip-on mic. Works very well, but the mic cord always gets hung up on something and the tuner usually ends up taking a dive. I broke down a couple of weeks and got the AW2, and find it works as well. And, like the OP I find the A strings to be most problematic. I never thought about it, but Jim-n-Virginia's technique makes sense, and I sort of do it haphazardly anyway (as I get frustrated with the tuner but before just getting annoyed and playing out of tune...)

I've got an old Korg CA 10. I think I'll grab one of those mic clips and try that combo.
    Thanks all for your feedback.

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
    jim_n_virginia; Glad you wrote that book. That's all advice I probably need to follow. I don't trust my ear to tune the second string in a course to the first. Once they get real close, it gets to where my ear/brain can't tell which one is higher or lower. A tuner will show a difference that is opposite to what I hear. I know that sounds weird. Maybe dropped on my head too many times as a kid?
    Get the first string of the pair in tune. Then, put your ear againt part of the instrument and purposely flatten the second of the pair. You should hear a 'beat', or a second, clashing vibration mixed in with the two strings. Then begin to slowly increase the pitch of the second string. The beating sound will gradually reduce in frequency until it disappears, and that is when both strings are the same. Assume that the first string will change very little in pitch if at all, so you KNOW you're tuning the second of the pair...

the 'beats' will tell you. It's not like a separate note per se, but a pulsing effect...which has the same frequency as the DIFFERENCE of frequency between the two strings. When the two strings are the same, the pulsing goes away, because the frequency is zero.

Hope that helps...
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Another vote for the Zoid.

Thanks Mike. I tried what you suggested. I just need to do enough of that to get better at it.

Except that I put my ear right against the center of the back ---to get the most effect--- and gave the A course a good whack, and I think the old Red Diamond caused some slight damage to my inner ear!

Something like 30 years ago, I got a Matrix SR4000 for tuning my guitar(s). I use it for my mandolin(s). I've tried other makes and other peoples' and have never found one I liked better. That said, I've never tried a clip on. It seems that it could be more convenient. I'm not near a good music shop, but will look with interest into your recommendations. Hard to beat a Auto Chromatic Tuner in my limited experience.

BB

Another happy user of the Intelli 500 here. It might help any of the tuners to mute the strings that you aren't tuning, just to make sure no sympathetic vibrations are confusing them. Sometimes it helps to play the twelfth fret harmonic instead of the open string, though usually I only need to do this on the lower strings of a guitar.

I've never had to press my ear to the mandolin to hear the beat that Mike describes but it certainly helps if you are familiar with the sound. Another situation where it is often heard, which might help you identify the effect if they're in your area, is with light twin-engined aircraft. If the prop rpms aren't quite synchronised you'll hear a distinctive wow-wow-wow.

My Sabine Zoid works very well. Even when hitting two strings, you can see something is wrong & with practice you can tell which string is out. Example: Hit you open E, watch the needle, on the zoid it strays in and out of Green ( in tune) to Orange (out) as you strike the string then you kinda get a feel for which string is out and you stop it with the pick and the needle jumps into the Green from the the other. Or at least that's what I been doing.

Gary

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

The Peterson Strobe clip-on will be @ $70. More than the other clip-ons but a lot less that the $200 strob-o-flip. As I understand it, it will be between 100% and 200% more accurate than many of the clip-ons on the market now. Available 4/23/2010-here is the elderly add and I have np financial interest here.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/PESC1.htm

Yup. The clip-on StroboFlip ("StroboClip?") will be for sale soon. Marv's Music (whom I highly recommend) is taking pre-orders. Marv's on the Flatpick-L list for flatpick guitarists and is a straight arrow, stand-up guy.

However -- I just got a StroboFlip and if the StroboClip is as sensative as the StroboFlip, I'm not sure how useful it will be in a jam or live setting since it does take a bit of "fiddling" to get the strobe to stop moving. I will also admit that my mandolin (and guitar) have never sounded better, even on my first try using it. Presumably I'll get better at it with use.

Which brings me to my question: the guitar "sweetened" tuning really does make a difference, but the StroboFlip doesn't have one for mandolin. Has anybody tried the violin "sweetened" tuning, even though it recommends using the bow and not plucking the violin strings due to differences in string deflection between bowing and plucking (!).

FYI. I just called Peterson. They said that the StroboClip will ship towards the end of May. A month delay in shipping.
    MadMarine