Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delfest (Academy)

Default Re: Delfest (Academy)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    It's time again to get excited for the Delfest Academy! If you've never been, now is the time. This will be my 4th year and it's always the highlight of the year for me. Ronnie McCoury is a great teacher and a great human being. Hope to see you all there, especially you Jeff! And Rosemary, I really hope we didn't scare you off last year and you can make it again.
    (Wow, not sure how I missed your original post, over a month ago--I'm on the cafe pretty much daily--but...anyway...),

DEFINATELY will be there again this year, Johnny, wouldn't want to miss the highlight of my (festival/instructional) year! Glad to hear you're gonna make it again, wouldn't be the same w/out you. And +1 on the recommendation re: the Academy, Ronnie's among the very best teachers, and I'm curious to hear what Don has to bring to the conversation--I'm sure it'll be worthwhile. One question though: I thought you had been going to the Academy since the first time it was offered, which was actually the 2nd Delfest (2009, if I'm not mistaken--it wasn't offered the for the inaugural Delfest). My first Academy was in 2010, so this will be my fourth...wouldn't that make this year's Academy YOUR fifth?

Or maybe it's that early-onset Alzheimer's kicking in again...anyway, good to hear from you! Rosemary, think you might make it up (or down, as the case may be) this year??
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Glad you're gonna make it Jeff! 2010 was my first year as well, so it is also my 4th time.
    the sun's gonna shine in my back door someday

Gonna give this puppy a little bump...anybody here doing Delfest Academy here (besdies you, Johnny)? Five more days to go...getting 'cited!
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

It's time again to sign up for Delfest Academy! This will be my 5th year at The Academy and I'm hoping to make it back as much as possible. Best camp I've ever been to. Ronnie can sure pick a tune and the whole camp is worth it just to see the boys pick in the morning. sign up if you possibly can at delfest dot com Hope to see you there!

I'm curious how many mandolin players/instructors were there last year, and what the instruction was like (mostly going over tunes?)? Thx bb

Last year there were 20 mandolins with 2 instructors. The year before there were 11 mandos with one instructor. We learned a couple tunes, some song intros, how the mandolin fits in a band, how to play guitar/mando duos, some jam etiquette, a small spot on songwriting (though Ronnie Bowman won't be there this year so that probly won't happen) and had a band scramble. The best part is the late-night jams though.

I can't believe there are still spots available for the mandolin at the Delfest Academy. Sierra Hull is the 2nd mandolin instructor, along with Ronnie McCoury. This is an incredible Academy and Festival. You should all make sure to come out! Hope to see some of the regulars back this year, I really wonder how excited Jeff Oxley is for our 2nd instructor....