Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delfest (Academy)

Default Delfest (Academy)

Is anyone going (or has been) to the Delfest Academy? What is it like? (very broad question intended) This will be my first time at any bluegrass camp and I'm really looking forward to it. I was excited to learn that Ronnie McCoury will be teaching Mando. Does anyone know what the difference between this and Rockygrass Academy are? Why do you have to get in a lottery really early for Rockygrass and you can still sign up for Delfest? It'll be sweet, either way.

Peace
    the sun's gonna shine in my back door someday

Default Re: Delfest (Academy)

RockyGrass has been going on for over a decade, has a great reputation, and fills up quickly. RockyGrass festival, Telluride (all part of Planet Bluegrass)--even for the festivals you may have to be in a lottery to get tickets...DelFest is fairly new, I think, not as well known, and is in Maryland, not in the beautiful mountains of Colorado...makes a difference as well, I think.

That said, I'm signed up for Delfest, and I'm not a great mando player, just coming out of the gate, really. I'll look forward to anything, and if it's over my head, I'll just stand back, chop, and be amazed...

I attended last year's DelFest Academy and have also attended three of the RockyGrass Academy sessions. I have to say that I was far more impressed with DelFest, mostly due to the fact that I had one teacher only. At the RockyGrass Academy there is a different teacher each day. Just about the time I had figured out the nuances of the instructor then another one took over. At DelFest Academy I had time to get to know my instructor on a very personal basis and it made me feel more comfortable asking questions. I had the chance throughout the week to chat with other classmates that felt the same way. Having one teacher - and one teacher only - really made the difference for me.

thanks for the takes guys; i'm even more excited now. I'm definitely a beginner so I'm hopin there's more people at my level. just tryin to work on my calluses so I can play all day!

Thanks for sharing the info, I am signed up for the 2011 academy, and I am looking forward to it. I just saw the lineup, it looks like Del Fest is leaning toward the Telluride style, jam band lineup vs. the traditional Bluegrass. I have no problem with this, I actually like the fact that it brings some excitement and exposes alot of folks to bluegrass that may not otherwise attend a "traditional" BG Festival. I am not familiar with many of the bands, so it should be interesting. As long as it is good music, that respects the traditional BG music, it is a good thing for everyone who loves the music.

When you say you had one instructor, Was that Ronnie McCoury? I hope I get some instructional time with him, one of my all time favorite Mando Players!

I attended last year's Academy as well: pinnacle of my picking year, far as I'm concerned. Not only did Ronnie make it a pleasure, but Rob, Jason, Alan, Ronnie B. and (on Thursday) Del...hell, everybody made it a real blast. And yes, I am going back this year for the Academy (and fest as well, obviously)...looking forward big time to it.
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Just signed up for my 2nd year at the Delfest Academy. Last year there was a lot of one on one time with Ronnie, which was great. I think they limited it to 10 students last year and I hope they do the same this year (it says 20, but that would seem like a lot). Like Jeff said, all the instructors are great and it was also the highlight of my year. Bluegrass Bandcamp is my happy place.

What I loved about the bands at Delfest last year was that even if they are not a traditional bluegrass band, they definitely aired on the side of bluegrass. I love Yonder Mountain, but I've been at some shows where they get pretty funky. At Delfest they bluegrass it up. Trampled by Turtles is my favorite band, though definitely not bluegrass, but they have some great musicians and really strong song-writing.

OK Johnny, sorry but I'm a little confused: In you first post you said that this coming DelFest Academy would be your first bluegrass camp ever, but in the preceeding post you said you just signed up for your 2nd year of the Academy. Which is it? Just wonderin'...
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Oxley View Post
    OK Johnny, sorry but I'm a little confused: In you first post you said that this coming DelFest Academy would be your first bluegrass camp ever, but in the preceeding post you said you just signed up for your 2nd year of the Academy. Which is it? Just wonderin'...
    First post is from Feb 2010

adgefan's got it. last year was my first bluegrass camp and this year will be my 2nd. already counting the days.

DUH! My bad, Johnny...see you at the Academy, I'm counting too!
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Smile Re: Delfest (Academy)

Hey guys,

I can't wait for delfest academy this year. If its anything like last year it will be awesome. Just stay away from the Whiskey in the evening. Of course before breakfast is fine (sorry for pun).

I was thinking of trying to get my hands on a bass and see if they will let me spilt my time between Alan and Ronnie. Last year since there were no bass players, Alan taught me for 4 hours on his bass.

Basically I think I am getting too excited this far in advance, but with Jonney counting down the days in facebook, it seems around the corner. I am local to the area (3 hours away) and will be driving in early Monday morning, so if you need anything let me know. Find me on facebook to chat.

See everyone there!

josh ungar

Although I will not be attending the Academy, I will be @ Delfest - which was the highlight of my summer last year. Even those who will not attend the Academy, should go to the festival anyway. It was a great time!

Del Yeah!

Getting real close now. I'm glad I signed up in time to spend most of my time with Ronnie, but hopefully will be able to pick some stuff up from Jesse Cobb from the Infamous Stringdusters as well. Learned a lot from the other people in the class last year, too. Really looking forward to spending 7 nights immersed in good music with good people!

I'm gettting pretty jazzed myself, at this point. One more week! See yall there (Josh and Jonny, and whoever else), I'll be heading up I-81 from Forest, VA (near Lynchburg) Monday morning, should take about 5 hours or so.

Full disclosure time: prior to last year's Academy, I had no clue how to play Whiskey Before Breakfast--not sure I'd even heard it. But that changed pretty quickly--it seemed everywhere I went there were folks jamming to it, and it quickly became a favorite! Looking forward to learning more.
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Hey Michael (AKA citycountryguy), are you making it to the Academy this year? NEIGHBOR!
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

No, unfortunately, I can't make it this year. Wave at the train, pick a tune, and sip a brew for me!

Sorry to hear...and while I'm sure there'll be plenty tunes picked and brews sipped, I'm pretty sure I'll be cussing that train, unless it passes by while I'm at those late night jams...
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Will be attending my first Academy and I'm really excited to meet everyone and play some music!
    Without music life would be a mistake. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Getting excited for the Academy again this year! Are you going to make it this year Jeff? Can't wait to Jam there Josh (and everyone else). Don't know how it could be better than last year, but this is my 3rd time, so if it is the charm I'm in for quite a time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Getting excited for the Academy again this year! Are you going to make it this year Jeff? Can't wait to Jam there Josh (and everyone else). Don't know how it could be better than last year, but this is my 3rd time, so if it is the charm I'm in for quite a time.
    10-4, Johnny, I'll be there...*with bells on* (never quite understood that phrase, but it seems to fit!).
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

I wasn't aware of the academy before but, thanks to this post, I looked into it and am now registered! Really looking forward to becoming BFF's with Ronnie MCoury...

It's time again to get excited for the Delfest Academy! If you've never been, now is the time. This will be my 4th year and it's always the highlight of the year for me. Ronnie McCoury is a great teacher and a great human being. Hope to see you all there, especially you Jeff! And Rosemary, I really hope we didn't scare you off last year and you can make it again.

Looks like to be the best Delfest to date! I just got my tickets and RV pass yesterday!
    FROM THE FARM TO THE BARN!

Don Rigsby was just added as a 2nd mando instructor this year!