Thread: Crack repair

Default Crack repair

My son has a 6 year old Larrivee D5. It is probably a $1000 guitar - something in that range. It is a good one. Lovely tone that rivals more expensive guitars. It is in excellent condition.

However, about a year ago he put a ding in the lower bout on the bass side about an inch off the binding. Not really that bad. But a few weeks ago when he was visiting he picked it up and noticed that a crack had appeared running from the ding to the bridge. It is a long crack - very tight and clean hairline looking. Runs along the grain and stops at or under the bridge. Probably 8 inches or so is my guess. I can not tell if it is just finish or wood - but I suspect from the looks of it that that wood is cracked - not sure.

Is this something that he should just let go - or should he get it looked at and repaired?
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Default Re: Crack repair

Have it looked at. A good repairman/woman could repair that fairly easily. .. .. .but if it grows the needed repair could also grow. And, if it's just a finish crack then they could also tell you that.

With that said, you could take a mirror and look to see if the crack is on both sides of the top (i.e. it goes through the wood).
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Next time I have it to look at I'll check it out underneath with a mirror. If it is just in the finish is it safe then to assume it is purely cosmetic and can be ignored for the time being?
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Hi Rob:

You might take a look at this too: http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Video.asp

Click on "Murphy's Law" on the right menu, and the bit that is related to your question starts at about 1:45 into the vid.

Best,
    Eric
    Eric Northway

http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v

Bad Link.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gowell View Post
    Bad Link.
    I just got it to work, and then it didn't, and then it did. They must be doing some work on the server today.

Maybe try this.
    Eric Northway

http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v

They both worked for me. Very interesting stuff. You clearly need to know what the heck you are doing!

I must say, speaking as a consumer, I'm not so sure how happy I would be if a builder used cracked (and then repaired) sides on a custom build for me. I think that is what they were suggesting in the first segment.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gerety View Post
    They both worked for me. Very interesting stuff. You clearly need to know what the heck you are doing!

I must say, speaking as a consumer, I'm not so sure how happy I would be if a builder used cracked (and then repaired) sides on a custom build for me. I think that is what they were suggesting in the first segment.
    Which is why the fix needs to be perfect ! I'm also a big fan of side pillarettes as opposed to that Martin cloth stuff. Stops cracks from running if they do happen & stiffens up the sides altogether. !