Thread: Bickford Mandolin Method - something I didn't know

Default Bickford Mandolin Method - something I didn't know

One of the many interesting things that I am finding in my research of mandolin methods are the omissions in reprints and mistakes in originals and the amount of the same pictures that appear in a variety of copyrighted methods by different publishers (I don't think the enforcement of copyright could have been very good).

Error example: I have two "Washburn mandolin methods" and in the preface Mr. Shaeffer states: "In presenting this improved BANJO method" the other correctly says "In presenting this improved method to the public" (unfortunately in the early days publishers did not seem to show what print run it was).

Anyway... on to Bickford
    I have about 7 paperback copies of Bickford book 1 and in each page 90 is missing.

Page 90 according to the contents (on page 4) is supposed to be the "Afterword" and Bickford refers to this in his Foreword when he says " A condensed synopsis of the three following books will be found at the end of this volume"........ Sorry Zarh ... not in my paper backs!

I think at the time this omission would not have been very pleasing as of course people who purchased volume 1 would want to read about what was in 2, 3 and 4

However I am fortunate enough to have what I believe to be original hardbacks of 1, 2 and 3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	346.2 KB 
ID:	50414 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	50413 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	50415
    and in volume 1 page 90 is shown

Name:	f.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	50417

Some other differences in the original hard back is a Photo of Bickford in which he is holding what looks to be a Gibson, and also on page 8 of the hardback is a photo of a Gibson (perhaps the one he holds in the picture) which is used to show the "parts of the mandolin", whereas in all the paperback copies I have it is a drawing of a bowlback thats used on page 8

Name:	e.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	50416 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	50418

A minor difference is that the front cover of the hardback uses the spelling Mandoline (Mandolin on the paperbacks).

And whats the point of all this?.... I don't know, i obviously have far to much time on my hands

Default Re: Bickford Mandolin Method - something I didn't know

I understand. I mandonitis. Uncurable I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Coy Wylie View Post
    I understand. I mandonitis. Uncurable I suppose.
    What a great word "Mandonitis". Yes I think your right, it's incurable like my mandolin acquisition syndrome (MAS) I now realize I'm also suffering from another side effect, MMAS (Mandolin Method acquisition syndrome).

I guess I just have to live with it (and my wife has to live with me.... but there again her mandolin music collection takes up 4 walls of our spare room!)

have a wonderful evening (well its evening here in Scotland)

4. The following members say thank you to trebleclef528 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by trebleclef528 View Post
    Anyway... on to Bickford
    I have about 7 paperback copies of Bickford book 1 and in each page 90 is missing.

Page 90 according to the contents (on page 4) is supposed to be the "Afterword" and Bickford refers to this in his Foreword when he says " A condensed synopsis of the three following books will be found at the end of this volume"........ Sorry Zarh ... not in my paper backs!
    Intersting... My 1920 paperback edition has the full afterword. SAre all yours published by Carl Fischer? AFAIK the first volume has been in print continously where as the upper volumes have not. Perhaps the afterword was left off after the other volumes when out of print.

BTW I believe that the publisher was contacted about these books and they are no interested in reprinting. Too bad... I think they are one of the best methods published in America.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The internet archive's Bickford volume 1 includes the afterword. Now if only the other books would be digitized. Maybe the publisher, or whoever owns the rights, would consent to release them to the public domain. What were the dates of publication of the remaining volumes? I would think they will be falling out of copyright soon too, if not already.
    Last edited by hooboy; Feb-22-2010 at 12:10pm. Reason: to point the link to the main Bickford Volume 1 page, not the particular pdf