Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Still Inside" The Tony Rice Story

Default Re: "Still Inside" The Tony Rice Story

Yeah, that Rice period was his prime, in the 80's. He was a pickin, singin fool. Blue Railroad Train is a great example of how he approached a tune. The kick-off became an instant classic. I remember seeing him in 1981 at The Bottom Line. The crowd kept yelling "Sing, Tony". He wouldn't. Cold On The Shoulder, released in 1984, was a monster record, had it all - good songs, great playing/singing, Vassar Clements.

'A tin cup at my feet, think I'll kick it down the street'

When you look back at his career, he has been doing it for 40+ years, more than a lifetime. God Bless Tony Rice.

Alan said "God Bless Tony Rice"

I'll second that.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Yeah, that Rice period was his prime, in the 80's. He was a pickin, singin fool. Blue Railroad Train is a great example of how he approached a tune. The kick-off became an instant classic.
    Amen to that! I picked up the new Josh Williams recording and he does a pretty nice version of that tune. It has been stuck in my head for the past two weeks.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Here's Rice with what is a big North Carolina contingent. Aaron, Jason Moore, Terry Baucom, Clay Jones and even Tony Rice himself reside in NC.
    Mike Ramsey
    bass flunky/songs written/festival stuff
    http://www.BigMikeRamsey.com
    http://www.RedWhiteandBluegrassFestival.com

Terrific performance on this number, thanks for posting, Mike. Aaron's break is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Terrific performance on this number, thanks for posting, Mike. Aaron's break is perfect.
    Yea..and it even got a smile out of Tonys otherwise chiseled in stone grimace.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti Adams View Post
    That's worth the price of admission right there!
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Kind of sounds like Aaron is playing "Rice-style" (Tony, that is) on mandolin...that would explain the smile.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti Adams View Post
    And coming from a Daddy perspective, when you see one of your heroes smiling about the mandolin break your kid just took, that's the killer part for me. Tony has been, for me at least, such a legendary musical hero for decades now. Aaron has ridden with him to Texas and back twice (on some of those Rice/Mountain Heart gigs) and so, I've gotten to be around him when it's on the periphery of the musical world.

These muscal folks we talk about here and there, are still JUST people. Getting to know that PEOPLE part of them and seeing how they react when folks just act "normal" around them is so satisfying, for me as an observer and to the artists that I have had the opportunity to observe.

Last May, the Rice/Mountain Heart show came here to my hometown of Morganton, NC. When Tony showed up backstage, I sat and listened to him visit with Cindy & Terry Baucom. He signed my older cousin's LP of Manzanita (which absolutely floored my cousin) and I listened as he warmed up "The Old Mule."

He was playing everything, every style, from jazz to the Merle Travis blues-tinged stuff (out of open E key) and at some point he played the Scruggs-coming-down-the-neck finger picked lick (think Preaching, Praying, Singing on the Ground), at which point I turned my head really quickly, looking at his left hand on the fingerboard as he finished.

When he saw that the lick turned my head, he grinned like a possum eating mule guts.

To think about how much music he has played, for decades, in so many venues, around the world and then, to see that when he grabbed my attention with a short 3-5 second lick and then to see that his musical gesture pleased me, he grinned, which was evidence that he still ENJOYS making music that pleases a listener. That was a moment I'll never forget.

My son, Aaron is a person who just happens to be gifted with some musical ability. Tony Rice is an older version of that, a PERSON who has been gifted musically.
    Mike Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ramsey View Post
    When he saw that the lick turned my head, he grinned like a possum eating mule guts.
    Man, that's a visual I don't need!

2015 Chevy Silverado

In case you didn't sign up for the alert when the book is ready, IT'S NOW READY!

here's the leg length url to actually order the book that I received

http://campaign.constantcontact.com/...RM_H0zUwIWk%3D

Mine is ordered. Be the first on YOUR BLOCK (but you may still be behind me) :^)
    Last edited by Michael Ramsey; Mar-23-2010 at 6:47pm. Reason: invalid url
    Mike Ramsey

Its available

And an autographed copy is available as well. Get 'em while you can!

I ordered my autographed copy. Just watch out for the default shipping option!

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I ordered my autographed copy. Just watch out for the default shipping option!
    Yes I caught that too; it defaults to overnight shipping.

It's been so long a coming anyway. I ordered my autograph copy media mail; what's a couple of more weeks?

Is there anyone besides me that believes that the book is NOT really "available now" as indicated on the Word of Mouth Press website? IMO, ALL of the shipping options are overpriced!

Just received an e-mail stating my order had shipped so I'm hoping we'll all be readin' it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogle View Post
    Is there anyone besides me that believes that the book is NOT really "available now" as indicated on the Word of Mouth Press website? IMO, ALL of the shipping options are overpriced!
    My un-autographed copy arrived at my house yesterday. For me, it's incredible stuff and I like the way it is put together. There are several chapters, early home life, early musical days (BG Alliance, Crowe, etc.) Jazz, Album Band and Unit era (with Tony still singing) etc., etc. Each one has Tony's thoughts (some very frank) and then those individuals who were included in these periods with their (sometimes) differing views of the same musical or personal situations.

I read from 6 PM last night until about 11:30 PM, dreamed about music all night and now, I'm a bit past halfway of the 300 pages. I'll prolly finish it Sunday. Tonight it's practicing for a show with my kids tomorrow, tomorrow the coffeehouse show and then riding down with Aaron for the Mt Heart gig in Walhalla, SC, tomorrow night and then returning home (prolly about 3 AM).

I love to read the personal (sometimes tragic) circumstances that are contributing factors in the lives of our musical heroes. This information is not always pretty, but it helps me to understand and maybe view their recorded efforts in a new light.

Your mileage may vary.
    Mike Ramsey

Mine arrived Saturday. I had it finished by Sunday afternoon. I thought that Tony and the two other authors were candid about many controversial aspects of Tony's professional life. I read many more details of his his personal and family life that I would want released about my own. I thought it was a pretty good book. The detailed discography was nice as well. I thought the publisher could have done more with the photos. There were plenty of killer photos but they were small and printed on the the same paper stock as the rest of the book. A section of glossy pics would have made good sense to me. I also realize that to have done that would have run up project costs.

Yes, SternArt, you made the cut.

I finally finished up my copy last night. A zipline trip on Sunday and a full day of work on Monday prevented reading on those days.

In my opinion, I'll agree with ToneDeaf that I thought it was very frank about some potentially "sticky" or very perosnal situations, both from Tony's and the other contributors perspectives. I like the beginning of the book where it stated that this way of presenting the stories would allow for contradicting views. That's true, but we all could probably relate to a time in our own lives where we see things "one way" and those round about us may view it "their way."

I know I'll re-read it over and over again, digesting, dissecting and divulging this great information.
    Mike Ramsey

I got mine on Saturday and it made for a great rainy weekend read. I finished Sunday evening. What I enjoyed most was Tony's comments concerning how some of his recordings came to be (ie. why there was no banjo on Manzanita, etc...). He is certainly a complex and fascinating person.

Blog Entries

Got an autographed copy last week.

Autographed by Tim Stafford or Tony Rice (or both)?
    2015 Chevy Silverado

I can't afford to buy this book at the moment, but I want to put in a request at my local library for them to purchase it. Would any of you folks who have the book mind posting the ISBN number? I can't find that info anywhere on the web (wondering if maybe it doesn't have an ISBN number since it's a small indy publishing company).

The ISBN # is 978-0-578-15113-0.....The signed copies are signed by Tony.