Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Still Inside" The Tony Rice Story

Default "Still Inside" The Tony Rice Story

http://www.tonyricestory.com/

Its been along time in coming but Im sure worth the wait

Default Re: "Still Inside" The Tony Rice Story

You're killing me;
    I thought it was out now. Hopefully, real soon.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Official release date will be during Merle Fest. The delays from what I understand was of Tonys doing..he wanted it to be perfect. Would one expect anything else?

This authorized biography of the legendary guitarist and vocalist, written by Tim Stafford and Caroline Wright, has suffered its share of birth pangs and has been delayed a number of times on the way to the delivery room. First projected for a 2007 release, it has now been finally and officially slated to hit on April 12, with a grand premier during Merlefest 2010

In January of 09, Tony was presented what was then a revised manuscript by Tim Stafford, north of Asheville, NC.

Aaron Ramsey was recording with Tony that day for Aaron's upcoming CD. Tim asked Tony to read through and try to get it back to him by mid-to-late January.

That didn't happen. There were more revisions.

IMHO, if it were ME as the main focus of the book, I'd want it to be right as well. I know some folks have been sort of disappointed with the delays in getting this book to publication, but I think it will be well worth the wait.

I know Tim is a very detailed person and he wants it right, as does Tony Rice. We'll all enjoy and be amazed and enlightened by this book, I'm sure.

We (the buying public) are wanting access to it so badly. Tim wants us to have it, as does Caroline Wright and Tony. But, really, we ALL want it to be right.

Think about it from Tony and Tim's perspective. They've been working on this book for about 10 years.
    Mike Ramsey
    bass flunky/songs written/festival stuff
    http://www.BigMikeRamsey.com
    http://www.RedWhiteandBluegrassFestival.com

As exacting as Tony is with his art, it's clear he would want the same level of perfection with this book.

Mike, when is Aaron's recording due out?

Hopefully by late spring. Thanks for asking, Alan. He is on the road to Greensboro, getting ready to fly to Seattle and Wintergrass for this weekend.

Wave at him if he passes through your neck of the woods.
    Mike Ramsey
    bass flunky/songs written/festival stuff
    http://www.BigMikeRamsey.com
    http://www.RedWhiteandBluegrassFestival.com

Thanks for the update Mike.

I spoke with Tim this past summer at the MACC festival in Ohio. At that point they were looking for someone to do the forward. He said they had hoped for Allison but she couldn't do it. Didn't say why. According to Caroline's facebook page the galleys are off to the printers. Can't wait for this one.
    mikeguy

As HUGE a Tony Rice fan as I am, I'm a little dissapointed that the book will be one that had to be "approved" by it's subject. And as much as I admire and respect Mr. Stafford musically, I can't help but be a little uncomfortable reading a book written by a "fan/admirer" rather than a professional journalist/biographer.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be among the first in line to buy the book, but I'll have questions as to whether or not it tells the "whole story".

You may pile-on now...I'm ready.

Levin, don't forget that besides being a skilled musician, Tim is a teacher and an academic and well-qualified to write the book.

I don't think Levin was as worried about the qualifications, as much as the objectivity of Mr. Stafford. I share his sentiments and I too will be one of the first in line to buy the book.

I'm not in any way casting aspersions on Tim Stafford's qualifications or even his ability to be objective...I have no reason to doubt either.

I just know that if I had the opportunity to edit MY biography, the end result would be pretty thin after I nixed all the embarrassing stuff....very thin indeed.

Just sayin'

Normally I would not want a bio "approved" by the author either, but just this once I want to read through rose colored glasses and continue to think TR infallable. I just don't want to be disappointed in any way. There are plenty of other famous people to read about and find I've been grossly misled for all the wrong reasons.

Of course, to be a piece of pizza with a hidden microphone would be sort of cool (or a '35 Martin once in a while).
    TomF

I did a written interview for this book, years ago..........I wonder if I made the final cut?
    Those early DGQ days.....hangin' out with & recording that band was an incredible experience.
    I consider those fellas among my best friends. Made me become a mandolin player, couldn't help
    it........I caught the fever, being around all that mando & string band creativity. Grisman's music
    was like a breath of fresh air, back in the late 70's......but who knew it would be the beginning of
    a new acoustic scene......watching all their careers evolve has been a wonderful experience!

Art..bet you could write a book of your own based on your experiences with all you mentioned.

Having Tony's approval, I look at it as an autobiography, with some help from Tim.
    Tony Szczygielski

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Thanks for the heads-up Scotti! I have been wondering what was going on with the book. IMHO Tim Stafford is the perfect person to write such a book. I hope they got some good photo's too!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I think that it is important and only fitting that a guitarist like Tim Stafford be involved, as the impact of Tony Rice upon their universe is a large part of his story, and one that would need to be explained from the inside out, especially to non-musicians.
    Tony Rice has also never been one to indulge in his own legend-making, and anyone with ears immediately knows they are not only in the presence of greatness, but a unique and genuine living legend. I stood awestruck next to him in a honky-tonk once as he cursed an empty paper towel dispenser after he had just washed "those" hands, and while I considered offering him my shirt-tail as a towel, I could find no way to do so without seeming like a creepy fan-boy, so I just stood there and watched him walk out shaking the water off his hands.....

While we're waiting;

Pretty decent band there!!!

Even the greats slow down...

Thanks for putting that up.

Blog Entries

Yesterday morning got on youtube, watched Tony last year with his band plus Peter Rowan. Sad to see. I have never seen anyone in my life that looks like he does without lying in a caskett, but man........, what a great guitarist......... The world of acoustic music will be at lost, whenever he passes. Always been a fan of him and can recall seeing him and his brother Larry back when they were youngsters playing at a fiddler's convention here in N.C.

Want to hear mastery? Listen to J.D. Crowe "chucking" (chopping) his banjo at 1:49 during Dawg's solo....

I look forward to the book. I don't mind that Tony had to approve it. He is the best guitarist, IMHO, that I have ever heard, and was one of the finest, most "sing with feeling" bluegrass singers of all time. He also seems to be one of the best producers in the business. I don't really want to know about any personal dirt that he doesn't want shared. I would be interested in the road traveled, along with stories of playing with the world's best singers and pickers, and how Anthony Rice became the standard by which every bluegrass guitarist is measured. How every song he sang became THE version of that song, IMHO. Stuff like John Hardy, Cold on the Shoulder, Church Street Blues, Any Old Time, Freeborn Man, Blue Railroad Train, Freight Train Boogie w/Reno, and too many more to mention.

Bob
    Last edited by re simmers; Mar-15-2010 at 8:15pm. Reason: typo
    re simmers

Growing into it;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	young tony with guitar..jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	56323