Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Still Inside" The Tony Rice Story

Default Re: "Still Inside" The Tony Rice Story

Just finished it, and except for the rather poor-quality B&W photos, it is excellent. I was especially struck by Tony's take on Monroe's singing. He feels that like himself, Monroe kind of blew his voice out by the late 1950's, after singing so strongly and sweetly for so many years. I always had a problem around that, but couldn't figure out what it was. I loved the Monroe Brothers, and some of the early gospel quartets are to die for, but a lot of Monroe's later lead singing is just plain bad (IMHO), and Tony verified something I had never previously been able to put my finger on.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

To the Rice fan it is a must have. I thought it left out his full musical journey or at least the parts I knew first hand about.
    It did seem to dance around sticky subjects and it seemed to not deal with the many "vices" Mr Tony has had over the years.
    You expect the juicy details in this type autobiographical book. It's a great book about a great legend in bluegrass/acoustic music.

I‘ve been listening to Jimmy Martin’s “Sunny Side of the Mountain” on vinyl recently, with Vernon Derrick on mandolin. I have been reassessing Jimmy’s self-claimed description of himself as the “King of Bluegrass” in the light of Tony’s autobiography, and his emulation of Jimmy's rhythm playing. When J.D. hired him for The New South, his reply to J.D.'s question about who his favorite guitar players were was: "Jimmy and Lester." Jimmy was a huge fan of Lester Flatt, having described Lester’s work with Scruggs, Monroe, Watts and Wise as “perfect.” When you hear Jimmy’s G run, and particularly his G string note, it is true that you will only hear one other person “drop the bomb” like that, and it is Anthony Rice. It has an explosive, definitive edge to it that even Lester Flatt did not put in there, at least not all the time, and Lester’s style was different, as he did not use a flat-pick. Jimmy’s lead singing is also as good as has ever been done, whether with Monroe or on his old Sunny Mountain Boys records. The drive that he put into everything is an amazing thing to listen to and absorb, and is a hugely important part of post original-era bluegrass music. Jimmy’s seminal playing with J.D. Crowe, and his tutoring and subsequent hiring of a very young Doyle Lawson also go a long way to establishing his vital importance to the genre, even if his own attitude and behaviors did little to help his own cause, particularly his inability to gain invitation to the Opry, which dogged him his whole life.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    I‘ve been listening to Jimmy Martin’s “Sunny Side of the Mountain” on vinyl recently, with Vernon Derrick on mandolin. I have been reassessing Jimmy’s self-claimed description of himself as the “King of Bluegrass” in the light of Tony’s autobiography, and his emulation of Jimmy's rhythm playing. When J.D. hired him for The New South, his reply to J.D.'s question about who his favorite guitar players were was: "Jimmy and Lester." Jimmy was a huge fan of Lester Flatt, having described Lester’s work with Scruggs, Monroe, Watts and Wise as “perfect.” When you hear Jimmy’s G run, and particularly his G string note, it is true that you will only hear one other person “drop the bomb” like that, and it is Anthony Rice. It has an explosive, definitive edge to it that even Lester Flatt did not put in there, at least not all the time, and Lester’s style was different, as he did not use a flat-pick. Jimmy’s lead singing is also as good as has ever been done, whether with Monroe or on his old Sunny Mountain Boys records. The drive that he put into everything is an amazing thing to listen to and absorb, and is a hugely important part of post original-era bluegrass music. Jimmy’s seminal playing with J.D. Crowe, and his tutoring and subsequent hiring of a very young Doyle Lawson also go a long way to establishing his vital importance to the genre, even if his own attitude and behaviors did little to help his own cause, particularly his inability to gain invitation to the Opry, which dogged him his whole life.
    agreed.

+1

jr

I haven't read it. I haven't read all the replies either.
    I'm not interested in the details of Tony's vices/demons, whatever. I'll wait for The Enquirer.

I am very interested in how he became Tony Rice, the guitar genius, arrangement and producer genius, and THE former modern voice of traditional bluegrass.

Does the book match that?

Bob
    re simmers

Quote Originally Posted by re simmers View Post

I am very interested in how he became Tony Rice,
    Same here.

He took a little from what came before him, added a whole lot, and left a new flavor bag which has been added to the soup. The creative juices inside the man's being are what interest me.

I just got the Complete Tone Poems I from acousticoasis.com THREE CD's!!!
    T. Rice and David Grisman, one on one, incredible duets, with all the banter included. Like you're a fly on the wall in the studio with them. You can really hear the studio genius of these guys, as they work up these tunes.........hearing the dialog between takes really gives a flavor of how they make creative decisions on the fly ......VERY informative & such great pickin' the out takes are just as good, or better than what ended up on the CD. They just make up different variations each time through, evolve the backup, create the arrangements... You can follow their creative process, I found it fascinating listening.

Now you've got me wanting to get this Art!

JR

I'm just about done with the book and it's been great. After reading the various chapters, I think I've gone back and listened to everyone of Tony's albums that I have and all the stuff he did with Grisman and I can't stop listening. Just to know what went into these albums and all the things he was dealing with at the time of those projects, I must say it's has been enlightening and inspiring. One day I hope that a book of his photography get released, I'm sure it will be as stellar as his guitar playing.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

I just wrote a more thorough review of the Complete Tone Poems:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ATE-Tone-Poems!!!

Set out to buy this book from the publisher's site this morning. Changed my mind.

Sorry guys, but 15.00 for shipping a pair of these is a straight-up mugging unless it's the size of the Mexico City phone book.
    Last edited by Steve Cantrell; Jun-19-2010 at 1:26pm.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

I've posted my review of this book here:

http://tedlehmann.blogspot.com/2010/...tory-book.html

Ted

Late to the party here, but I just got my copy via interlibrary loan (it traveled all the way to me in California from a library in little ol' Boone, N.C.!) and I'm about halfway through it.

Some thoughts...

1. Amazing work by the writers in researching and telling the definitive story of the incredible Mr. T.
    I like the blend of you-are-there reporting as we follow Tony around in his life, backstage and onstage in the present day (well, present day some 12 years ago), the third-party recollections of various highlights in his career (each adding a little something to the story), and the parts where Tony tells the story himself, expletives included.

2. Tony mentions having a recording of a long-ago kitchen session where he, Clarence White, J.D. Crowe, and others had a great jam, just shortly before Clarence died. I wonder if that recording ever saw the light of day? It would be something to hear, if the sound quality was decent.

3. I was interested to read Tony's admission that while he played the guitar from an early age, he really didn't get serious about it and develop his style until his late teens. That means the time from then until his peak years with The New South, etc., would have been only about a decade. So it's a testament to his gift that it took him only that long to become the musician we revere today. And it's also an encouragement to us mere-mortal pickers that we, too, might really accomplish something with enough practice and dedication even if someone didn't put a mandolin in our hands at age 4.

Blog Entries

I believe there is a neat you tube audio recording of Clarence, Tony and Larry Rice on mandolin? I don't think there is banjo though?

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I always knew Tony had some issues and always seemed like a "loner" for lack of a better term. It was really interesting to me to read his reaction to his colleagues stories and statements about him in the book.

He appears to have authorized and liked the book.

Which is impressive, considering not many celebrities would let such an unvarnished, warts-'n-all story be told in an authorized bio, much less participate in it and even tell some of the darker parts themself.

The portrait that emerges is of a supremely gifted music legend who's also a man with the same kinds of flaws offstage as anyone else.

How is Tony doing these days, performing and health wise?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Blog Entries

I don't know how he's doing, I wish! And wish the best for the big T! I have some great fest memories of him, and at Grey Fox, even the one where me and a friend was drinking with his brother Larry and well Tony walked off the stage cause Larry was a bit lit! Kept dropping his pick! That was the Rice, Rice, Hillman and Pederson group, maybe 02? Anyone go to that one as witness? Hillman and Herb finished alone but strong but T was @%#%#%-HOT. Tony was and always will be one of the greatest guitar slingers and singers ever, no one can come close IMHO! A lot of copycats but not the real deal. Someone that took the guitar and took it further than anyone. An innovator like Don Reno, Doc, Clarence.....Just my thoughts anyway

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

OK people ….. I just looked into purchasing a copy of this book and it lists on Amazon for 100.00$ =/- ….. If there is someone willing to lend me a copy I will be more than happy to pay the postage and return and an equal "type" favor for a chance to read it without taking out a bank loan. R/

PS> I don't think this transgresses The Café posting guidelines however if it somehow does please remove it post haste. Thanks R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Your best bet would be placing a Classified ad here saying you're looking for a used copy. Likely someone has one they'd part with. Those inflated prices on amazon, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in them.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    OK people ….. I just looked into purchasing a copy of this book and it lists on Amazon for 100.00$ =/- ….. If there is someone willing to lend me a copy I will be more than happy to pay the postage and return and an equal "type" favor for a chance to read it without taking out a bank loan. R/

PS> I don't think this transgresses The Café posting guidelines however if it somehow does please remove it post haste. Thanks R/

Not sure, but it looks like it may still be available new at the publisher's site (https://www.wordofmouthpress.us/) or also at http://www.tonyricestory.com/.

Chris

23. The following members say thank you to manjitsu for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Thanks manjitsu …. I didn't see / find that link when I originally searched. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Hah, I recently reread this book and it was every bit as good the second time. I tend to reread books I like . . . seems like I get more out of them each time.
    Clark Beavans

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manjitsu View Post
    Not sure, but it looks like it may still be available new at the publisher's site (https://www.wordofmouthpress.us/) or also at http://www.tonyricestory.com/.

Chris
    I was going to suggest the same thing, but also wondered about availability, so I emailed the publisher. They just confirmed that they still have non-autographed copies.