Thread: Habby Birthday, Antonio!!

Default Habby Birthday, Antonio!!

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: Habby Birthday, Antonio!!

Whoops! great typist, I am not!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

'Sokay. You cannot imagine how many times I stared, puzzled, at "bandolim" before I discovered it was a different instrument, spelled correctly - B, N, M being located so close together on the keyboard.

The silver lining - this thread is SO easy to find via search.

Anyway, mille grazie Signore Vivaldi for the mandolin concerti - and plenty else besides. It does seem he took time to write a concerto for nearly every instrument in the baroque orchestra. Really very nice of him. Practical, too, I suppose - one way to boost sheet music sales.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I noticed the Google search page with those violins... Why do i remember that A. Vivaldi's birthday was actually unknown?! Anybody else has the same memories or is it just me?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Jim's source is wikipedia, not 100% reliable (though usually not far off), so if you wish to remain skeptical, you are entitled.

That said, a quick google turns up a lot of references citing this date.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Jim's source is wikipedia, not 100% reliable (though usually not far off), so if you wish to remain skeptical, you are entitled.

That said, a quick google turns up a lot of references citing this date.
    I just checked the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, and it gives Vivaldi's b-day as March 4, 1678. So celebrate away!

Barry

Woo-hoo........party on......

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    he doesn't look a day over 230!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

OK, it now seems that there is no doubt about his birthday. But it wasn't always so. I checked my old Vivaldi records and on some of them (or even on most of them) it stays (1678? - 1741). I guess the question mark means that it was not 100% clear that he was actually born in 1678.

May be if you check out your old Vivaldi records - LPs, audio casettes, etc. you will also notice a question mark behind the year 1678.

I made also a google search and i found some information that he was born between 1675 and 1678. May be there are recent findings proving that he was born on 4 March 1678. Anyway it doesn't really matter. But my memory serves me well. :-)

Best,
    Plamen