Thread: Instrument insurance

Default Instrument insurance

This is a subject I have not seen on the board. I think it is about time I got some. Who do you use and have you had a good experience with them. I live in Florida so going thru the home owners insurance is not really an option.

Default Re: Instrument insurance

I understand Heritage Insurance is pretty fair, catering to the needs of musicians, collectors, and dealers. NFI
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

I second Heritage.

You may want to check with your homeowners insurance as most offer an inland marine policy that would cover musical instruments.

Here are two pages of threads that discuss instrument insurance.

A huge all ten thumbs up for Heritage. I did extensive searching for what to do with whom long ago and Heritage emerged as the choice. Nothing i've heard or read in the mean time has changed my thinking. Great people to deal with as well.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Here in San Diego my regular home owners policy covers my instruments. The reason I know is a few years ago I was concerned and took my instruments to my agent and he told me they were covered. Nick
    ntriesch

Another recommendation for Heritage. Unlike homeowners insurance, their policy covers your instrument wherever you are. In addition, as I understand it most homeowners policies will not cover your instruments if you are a "professional" (e.g., you get paid a few bucks every once in a while to play in a band).

Thankfully I haven't had to put in a claim, but other than that their customer service has been terrific.

Heritage took care of me last year when I needed to get coverage for instruments after my homeowner's changed their terms. The policy they placed for me covers my son's cello and bow at college as well as all of our other instruments wherever they may be located. It also covers damage that my homeowner's policy would not have. Good people.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

No brainer!!!
    Heritage!!!!

If anyone here is using a homeowner insurance rider for expensive instruments, you need to check one very important factor:

Most, if not all, musical instrument policies (covered by homeowner insurance, or riders attached to same) distinguish between "professional use" and "nonprofessional" ...vintage and not. They also tend to consider vintage, "antique".

Unless things have changed, they considered making even $1 per year with your instrument "professional use".

I once had a rider that was for professional insurance, it was slightly more expensive... but the lesser (cheaper) policy would not cover instruments outside of the home.

Some folks with riders on homeowner policies found out, after the fact, that their insurance coverage did not cover the total value, etc.

Really, though, Heritage is the King of Instrument Insurers. If you're insuring vintage pieces, no one is as safe or as cost effective.

Blog Entries

I have heard good thins about Clarion Insurance as well.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I've had pretty good results with Anderson Group. No claims, fortunately, but the customer service has been pretty good.

I checked with the agent for my homeowners insurance, and was told that the instrument would not be covered for professional use. They also define "professional" very broadly. Sitting in a coffee shop at a public jam, where other non-musicians might be listening, constituted "professional" use in their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I have heard good thins about Clarion Insurance as well.

That's right...I meant to list Clarion with Heritage. When it comes to insuring vintage, or otherwise valuable instruments, these companies are the top of the list...with a proven track record.

Have you asked your home owner's insurance provider about a personal property rider? The company I'm with covers all my instruments for breakage, theft, damages if I ship them, etc. It runs about $150 a year above my homeowners policy. All I had to do was show them receipts, values as retailed on websites, and some pictures. No big deal!

I believe this may be a trustworthy rider. If it were me, I'd look into their maximum coverage. Most have a ceiling they will apply when/if you need to make a claim...and it ain't very high. I doubt a vintage Loar would be covered, or even a Gilchrist level valued item.