Thread: Mandolinetto

Default Mandolinetto

There is a post in the "Post a picture of your Mandolin" forum about a custom-made mandolinetto (a smallish mandolin, in this case shaped somewhat like a ukulele). Here is the link:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...e-Mandolinetto

Does anyone have anything they could share about this instrument design? Advantages or disadvantages of the hour-glass shape; other builders they have heard of that make a similar product? Historical notes on instruments of of this type/size; Playability issues (like how well it takes a strap, problems playing up the neck, that sort of thing).

For some reason I just love the look of this axe, find myself overcome with MAS, and need some immediate therapy.

Thanks,
    Marcus

Default Re: Mandolinetto

More or less cosmetic tho I would think it would affect the tone in some way as opposed to a flatback teardrop shape. OTOH I would love to see a real Howe-Orme replica which has an arched cylinder top.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, one of the luthiers who posts here did that, I can't remember just who at the moment, maybe one of the british guys? I do remember pics were posted sometime in the last few months. I do recall he said the arch was quite easy to induce by gluing the braces in.

I have a Howe-Orme mandolinetto from around 1900 or so; H-O is probably the best-known builder of this type mandolin. It's tiny, with a scale length of 13 1/16 inches, lower bout width of 7 1/4 inches, depth of 2 1/4 inches. Its top is arched in a cylinder shape in the center, pressed rather than carved; it's a relatively un-ornamented lower-end model, with mahogany back, sides and neck, spruce top, rosewood headstock overlay, ebony fingerboard. Very light, and due to the low weight and small size, a strap's hardly needed. Its sound is light and airy, "tinkly," but quite clear, so it's not hard to hear even in ensemble. I got it on eBay from a seller who considered it a "wall hanger" due to neck problems, but I had the neck re-set, and it's quite playable.

I wouldn't recommend one as a general-purpose mandolin, since its treble voice prevents it from being an effective rhythm or chording instrument. But it has a lovely soprano, and I've used it in jams, and in concerts where a late-Victorian sound is appropriate. The sound is close to that of a bowl-back, but perhaps "thinner" and a bit more piercing. Its short scale and narrow neck make it easy to get around on, but I do notice some near-cramping of my fretting hand when I've played it for awhile -- a problem I seldom get on more conventional instruments.

Whether every mandolinetto would sound like the Howe-Orme -- a good question. A more heavily built instrument might not be quite so trebly and thin-sounding. The smaller soundbox and short scale do seem to bring out the "highs"; I should add that I have very light gauge strings on it, to avoid a recurrence of the neck issues. A fun instrument, especially if obtainable at a reasonable price, but not a "main" mandolin in my book, since totally unsuited to bluegrass/country style. If "guts" or a woof-y chop are needed, none there; if one likes a clear, ringing treble, plenty of that.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen: I have a Vega cylinder guitar which is very close to the construction of the H-O mandolinettos. If I ever make it up your way we should play some duets. My daughter is considering college in that neck of the woods, so you never know.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled program.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have a couple of rosewood Howe-Ormes and mine are actually pretty loud, although they do tend toward the treble. The rosewood might give more overtones and fill out the tone somewhat. When I got the neck reset on one of them, the luthier was actually amazed at how much tone and volume it put out after all the repairs were done. He attributed it to the arched top. Mine actually works reasonably well for chords and you can even get a chop of sorts out of it. But I agree that these aren't the best choice as a primary instrument. And they do sound more like a bowlback than, say, a Gibson A. They're a very nice addition for someone with several mandolins but wouldn't serve most players well as their one-and-only.
    Bob DeVellis

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Allen: I have a Vega cylinder guitar which is very close to the construction of the H-O mandolinettos. If I ever make it up your way we should play some duets. My daughter is considering college in that neck of the woods, so you never know.
    'Twould be wonderful -- I always say "the welcome mat is out" but you'd be surprised how few people seem to pass through Rochester.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM