Thread: Plan B when Sound System not right at a gig

Default Plan B when Sound System not right at a gig

So, I was playing a gig-party in a big metal pole barn. We had the sound dialed in before people showed up. As the gig began, more people danced and the sound (through the PA) became strange. It was like I had ear fatigue or something-I could feel pressure but the monitor/stage mix was not there. We were trying to fix it all night, but it seemed to get worse. I had trouble hearing someone next to me. So...

I played more basic/foolproof licks. I simplified my breaks on the fly. I played harder, using more doublestops and less single strings. I listened harder and would strive to hear where the heck I was suppose to be. I got closer to the mike when I took a break and backed off less than normal during rhythm. The people loved us and we were paid well, but it was not my best musical performance. Any suggestions? Thoughts?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Plan B when Sound System not right at a gig

It may be something as simple as standing on the right side on the rythm picker. Last week we did a gig in an old high shool gym. Walls were carpeted, but only three sides and up only so far. I didn't think a thing of it, until it got "going." Like you said, it all sounded like mud. I was on the far left of the rest of the band, and the doghouse was next to far stage right. Levels were all set, so i was stuck where i was. Live and learn. It won't happen again. I'm always gonna setup to the right of the best rythm picker. He's following the doghouse, ima following him.

Look at my pix. They set me up right in front of the drum kit. Nothing you can do but autopilot. Maybe practice by playing with ear plugs and record it to check? Sure, i wish we had in-ear monitors, but that's big-time money.

Default Re: Plan B when Sound System not right at a gig

Our band has a very simple sound set up. We use one central mike (AT 3440 or something) for the whole band and one mike in the bass. No monitors, we gather round the mike. It is set very hot and behind the PA line.
    If you use more mikes and monitors, I suggest keeping the set up as simple as possible, set up outside sound first, then bring in monitors. Make sure the monitors have the same balance as the outside, or you may sound good on stage and bad out front. Once you get it right, put tape on the board and mark all the settings. We usually only need minor EQ adjustments for different rooms. Keep any band members with "Knobitis" away from the board. In big rectangular halls, angling the speakers can help control echoes fron the back wall (especially the bass drum.) There are some rooms, however, that seem to be impossible.