Thread: Went on an Irish mando CD shopping trip . . .

Default Went on an Irish mando CD shopping trip . . .

Elderly is sending me HOUSE TO HOUSE, SHATTER THE CALM: IRISH AND CELTIC MUSIC ON MANDOLIN AND BOUZOUKI, and TORCH AND FIRE. Really looking forward to these.

[And a new set of mandolin strings for my Big Muddy mandola, which sounds pretty cool tuned GDAE.]

I am hoping that some of that good mando playing will rub off. If I start working now, I might be ready for a St. Patrick's Day in 2011 . . .

Default Re: Went on an Irish mando CD shopping trip . . .

Fine selections all. I'll just chime in again for Luke Plumb's "A Splendid Notion" playing tunes with just mandolin and percussion. A chance to hear our instrument in this music in a way seldom recorded.
    Steve

Funny you should mention "A Splendid Notion" . . . just discovered some clips over the weekend and loved it. I am apparently one of those guys who doesn't mind a little Irish traditional djembe now and again.

'a little Irish traditional djembe' was in this case played by the excellent Scottish drummer James MacIntosh, who plays with Luke Plumb in Shooglenifty.

James is great. He could play percussion on anything at all and make it sound fantastic.
    David A. Gordon

THanks for the support JPL, I hope you like them!
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I think a good player with a understanding of the tradition can make an unconventional instrument seem like it's always been part of that tradition.

Dan, my only concern is that you and Mr. Landes are going to push me over the edge and I'll end up buying a zouk. I just put my 12-string into DADGAD . . . trying to convince myself that it's a six-course guitar-body cittern, so I don't need to buy a zouk . . .

Sorry, there is no known cure for zouk acquisition syndrome
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

I'm trying to build my repertoire more and my collection less . . . but I suspect I'll end up with a zouk one of these days.

I'm a lefty, so my current plan is to somehow save Donal Lunny's life, and then he gives me one of his old zouks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    'a little Irish traditional djembe' was in this case played by the excellent Scottish drummer James MacIntosh, who plays with Luke Plumb in Shooglenifty.

James is great. He could play percussion on anything at all and make it sound fantastic.
    Agreed -- I fully expected to focus on Luke when I saw the Shoogles a couple of years ago, but I was entranced by James' playing for a good part of the night as well.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Elderly split up my order, so I got the Dan Beimborn Collection, with strings and Landes to follow.

Dan, I'm sure once I've digested these CDs a bit I'll have some more specific questions and comments . . . on first listen, I just want to say, tremendous work and a great inspiration to a beginning player like myself.

Thanks for the head up. I tried to get Dan's albums from Elderly a while back and they were sold out. Time to jump on this in case it sells out again!

Thanks JPL, nice of you to say so. Elderly should have plenty, and if they run out we send them quickly.. also I have them with Mom in Wisconsin and usually turn them around in 24 hours when we get an order from the website! The link is in my signature
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

For a something a little different, this is a wonderful recording of mandolin and guitar duets:
    Butch Baldassari & John Mock - Music of O'Carolan

BTW JPL, if you ever have a chance to attend a workshop by Dan, by all means do so. I attended an ornamentation workshop of his a few years ago at Gryphon, and learned a lot and had a blast. (Although you might need to travel a little further nowadays to do so.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront