Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Chip Pick

Default Blue Chip Pick

I am considering buying a blue chip pick for my mandolin and I am wondering which style/thickness to buy. Can anyone give me some ideas on this.

--Duane.
    "....if you can't find a way out...go deeper in..."

Eastman 805D
    Fender 53S SB

Default Re: Blue Chip Pick

You might read this very long thread here for way more than you'd ever want to know about Blue Chip picks. It will take a while to read the entire thread, but you'll get the gist of it in about five minutes.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm perfectly happy with my CT-55. I asked Matt to round one corner, just to have something different. Only one I tried, but i like the large triangle size, which is what I was using in the Clayton.

Yes, there is a monster-long thread on these, but here is one short answer.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Buy cheap picks to decide what shape and thickness you favor. Then buy that in a Blue Chip. They're fantastic picks, and you won't go back.

I like the TAD 60 best, but it all depends on your technique.

Just recieved a Jazz LG 50...very nice pick.

Have you considered investing the money in real estate?

8. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

G7MOF 

TPR60 Yup! x 2 ... one in each case
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

I picked up a Blue Chip 50 at a festival to try. I liked it so much I bought the demo I was trying and haven't used any other pick since.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. H.D. Thoreau

I won't take the plunge with these. I lose pick easy. I lost two of the three Wegens i bought already. Besides i started using the dunlop Jazztone 207 and I'm hooked.They replace the wegens. And i don't have to worry about losing them since they cost 50 cent each. It has the sound I like. Before you take the plunge i suggest you try many cheaper picks first. You never know what you'll like. And like jonZ said maybe you could invest the money better elsewhere...Mike

I have a CT 55 and a TAD 60. My friend Richie Brown said he might get a 100. I use them on mandolin and guitar. Great picks.

I used a TAD 50 for a long time, then tried a speed-bevelled CT 55, and I like it more...... just bought one
    AKA "golfunit"

I like the KS60. I special ordered the KS80, but found it a tad too thick. But, another picker found it to be pick-perfect for him, so...

15. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

It helps if you already know what you like in a pick. I knew what I wanted (shape, thickness, and bevel), and was able to narrow it down to two BC models as a result, one of which was perfect.

What a BC will give you:
    - a little more slippery for a given thickness/bevel than other materials.
    - a little darker/richer sound (compared to a similar pick in other materials).
    - lasts forever
    - makes you cry if you lose it because it costs more.

Maybe that will help you narrow down your BC pick choice. :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    What a BC will give you:
    - a little more slippery for a given thickness/bevel than other materials.
    - a little darker/richer sound (compared to a similar pick in other materials).
    - lasts forever
    - makes you cry if you lose it because it costs more.
    Made me more careful with where I set it down - either in my hand or in the strings. Anywhere else is trouble

Used BC almost exclusively since they came out, until I discovered my current favorite http://manouchepicks.com/ Am playing the Perry Stenback model most of the time, although I do have a couple of Adam Schlenker models, with another one on the way.

Having said that, if I hadn't found out about these, would happily spend the rest of my days playing BC picks.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

@Eric:
    Love BC 50 or 60s.
    Does Manouche make anything thinner than 2mm?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

I keep waiting for the "Find my BC" app.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

If you have a brighter sounding mandolin, in the low strings especially, then the heavier BC will be more to you taste. If you mandolin is darker in the G strings like mine a 35 is the one for me. The heavier picks are too dead sounding. It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in the other strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    @Eric:
    Love BC 50 or 60s.
    Does Manouche make anything thinner than 2mm?
    Yes -http://5thfretproductions.com/faux-s...-for-sale.html
    I use the 1.25mm version from Adam. Perry Stenback has them in 1.35, but you'll need to order from him in Denmark.

Again, nothing against BC picks. I just like the sound and feel of these better. On both guitar & mandolin.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

23. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I like the BC, had one for 3 years now and not lost it once, it lives in the strings when I'm not playing....but that's not what you asked...

I like the TAD shape and I really like the 80, it's a large pick, it's thick, and doesn't require a lot of effort to drive thru the strings, I have used a 60 and it's ok but I always go back to the 80. My friends and a few pros have tried it and they liked it so much they got one...BC should send me a commission...ha

I also have tried the TP-1R in 50 and 60...I found I don't use the rounded corner much but it's nice to have an option.

The 80s are spendy so I generally pick them up from the classifieds here and at other forums. Just order one and if you don't like it sell or trade it here in the forum classifieds - if you get the 80 and don't like it PM me......I have a few for trade.
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Sep-06-2017 at 1:23pm.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I have the TAD 40 but just ordered the 50 today. I have no problem with the price, considering how much I paid for my mando. In my mind, it's part of the instrument. It's where the sound is actually produced. It's critical
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

Quote Originally Posted by chasgrav View Post
    Buy cheap picks to decide what shape and thickness you favor. Then buy that in a Blue Chip. They're fantastic picks, and you won't go back.
    I second this approach. I like the Wegen TF 140 and the 1.4mm Dunlop large triangle. So I got the Blue Chip CT 55 which is the most similar. I love it. By far may favorite pick.

I had a TAD-70 custom made for me. I asked for the CT bevel instead of the standard TAD bevel, but I can't say that I notice a difference. It's the RH speed bevel. I don't use it. PM me if you're interested. They charged me the same price as the TAD 80.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I like the BC, had one for 3 years now and not lost it once, it lives in the strings when I'm not playing....but that's not what you asked...

I like the TAD shape and I really like the 80, it's a large pick, it's thick, and doesn't require a lot of effort to drive thru the strings, I have used a 60 and it's ok but I always go back to the 80. My friends and a few pros have tried it and they liked it so much they got one...BC should send me a commission...ha

I also have tried the TP-1R in 50 and 60...I found I don't use the rounded corner much but it's nice to have an option.

The 80s are spendy so I generally pick them up from the classifieds here and at other forums. Just order one and if you don't like it sell or trade it here in the forum classifieds - if you get the 80 and don't like it PM me......I have a few for trade.

28. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

I forgot to mention that as long as they are not engraved you can return/exchange them with BC (you might have to pay shipping)...so you can go read all the other BC threads or just buy one and try it...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7